Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Diagnostics.

Semi, slow crank ... Won't start.

Dead batteries?

Charge 'em up.

Nope.

Jump start.

Eventually with two trucks hooked up, it starts...but not as easily as it should.

(First clue missed).

Load test and the batteries in to be tested.

One is bad...maybe...

Never replace one battery...the two old ones will ruin the new one...so they say.

These batteries are two years old..so their due.

Replace three batteries... $340.

Still no joy...same symptoms.

In the old days I would feel comfortable reasonably concluding that new batteries were good and move on. Perhaps this was always bad practice, but it didn't bite me in the ass until recently when on one, but multiple new parts have been bad from the factory.

Load test new batteries.

They look good.

Now the fun part ... Clean and check connection.

This huge 4/0 main starter ground looks ok.

Boy...that's a lot of wiggle in that connection...oop...doh...

Well... there's your problem...

IMG_20220816_094124307.jpg

IMG_20220816_094136171.jpg

IMG_20220816_094131588.jpg

Diagnostics.

Dead batteries?

Charge 'em up.

Nope.

Jump start.

Eventually with two trucks hooked up, it starts...but not as easily as it should.

(First clue missed).

One is bad...maybe...

Never replace one battery...the two old ones will ruin the new one...so they say.

In the old days I would feel comfortable reasonably concluding that new batteries were good and move on. Perhaps this was always bad practice, but it didn't bite me in the ass until recently when on one, but multiple new parts have been bad from the factory.

Load test new batteries.

They look good.

View attachment 683249

View attachment 683250

View attachment 683248

What kind of truck was that that used multiple batteries?

Not to be forward but have you checked alternator. Generator? Depending on age of your truck? a 'by pass' alternator?

Diagnostics.

Dead batteries?

Charge 'em up.

Nope.

Jump start.

(First clue missed).

One is bad...maybe...

Load test new batteries.

They look good.

View attachment 683249

View attachment 683250

View attachment 683248
Laughing because I can relate....... All too well........ Turn an easy $10 fix into a multi-hundred dollar fix before you discover it is a $10 fix.

Not to be forward but have you checked alternator. Generator? Depending on age of your truck? a 'by pass' alternator?
It's not electrical or heat damage...it's just wear and rot. The cable has been on there 25 years. It connects the engine mounted starter to the frame and is located in the front wheel well.

Some water leaked into the connection and oxidation ate at the wire below the connector...and the torque shifting of the motor away from the frame over time started breaking the strands.

It still had some connection when I started fiddling with it to determine where it was broken and that fiddling severed the last connections.

Just need to find some new 4/0 cable and solder on new connections and she'll be right as rain.

Laughing because I can relate....... All too well........ Turn an easy $10 fix into a multi-hundred dollar fix before you discover it is a $10 fix.
It happens so often I consider it the norm.

But...I console myself with the thought that I'm heading off a future problem. :thup:

Diagnostics.

Dead batteries?

Charge 'em up.

Nope.

Jump start.

(First clue missed).

One is bad...maybe...

Load test new batteries.

They look good.

View attachment 683249

View attachment 683250

View attachment 683248
You are lucky. That is weird, but still lucky.
Jeep suddenly went from powerful starting, to just clicking. Had to jump it off for first time since owned.
No Cables. Kids borrowed. Bought new (a really good set). Jumped off. Fired right up. New Rule: None of my grown kids will touch my cables.
Went to see Battery people. Said battery fine, alternator bad. Offered to replace batter as still under warranty. Fishy. I declined, figuring if it is alternator, I would be good to go and supposedly their district manager (by coincidence) having sold me the absolute best battery they sold. Yah, right.
Had a guy replace alternator. He reported alternator definitely weak, but the battery definitely had at least two dead cells. Gee how did batter people miss that? He told me, the battery not taking charge probably ruined the alternator, as it was trying to charge constantly.
Went back to battery people to get my free replacement under warranty. Told them what the mechanic/alternator guy said. They said, the weak alternator ruined the battery. They said warranty did not cover free replacement. Offered me shitty warranty money. I negotiated, since district manager's card still in wallet. Suddenly they found more warranty money.
Still out for New cables, new alternator, and new battery at good price, but hardly free.
A shitty 3 day maintenance hassle. Damn, I miss Sears DieHard.
Pretty sure, I got hosed on either the battery quality or warranty or both, but better than paying full price, still not a happy camper, but life goes on and the jeep does start and run great.

Not gonna lie, Missourian, I've been there and done that. Happens.

Sucks to go through all of that, only for it ending up being something trivial like a shot cable.

The cable is probably still good if you just snip the ends off. Just a matter of having enough length after doing that. Which you probably do. They sell those crimp rings at brick and mortar stores for like 3 bucks.Little bit of heat shrink over them after you crimp them on and you're good to go.

New Topics

Forum List

Back