Well regulated militia

it seems a sure thing Justice Kavanaugh is writing the NYSRPA majority opinion,
Why do you say that?

I count four justices who haven't yet written an opinion for the November sitting.

I count six conservative votes, so I'm sure it's not Sotomayor. But Thomas and Barrett also haven't written a majority opinion for November.
It's not Kavanaugh. He just released his majority opinion from the November sitting.

It's not Sotomayor either. She as well just released her majority opinion from the November sitting. There wasn't much chance that it was her anyway, but it's nice to know for sure that it's not.

New York Rifle is now the only case from November to not have a ruling issued yet.

Thomas and Barrett are the only justices to have not issued a majority opinion from November yet.

:woohoo:

Well regulated militia can be created on the basis of the police. The US police are subordinate to the state and independent of the federals. Armed male can be trained by the police, and participate in police operations as an auxiliary force. This is the shortest way to create a militia.
The constitution says that the creation of a militia is necessary.
View attachment 594923
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but that's not what well regulated means in the 2nd.

We will see . . .
I think the majority opinion is written by Amy Coney Barrett.

Either Thomas or Barrett wrote the majority opinion in the gun case. The other was assigned to write the majority opinion in Whole Woman’s Health v. Jackson, and then lost supporting votes to something written by Gorsuch.

I'm guessing that it was Thomas who had Whole Woman’s Health v. Jackson and lost it to Gorsuch.

"Judgment: Affirmed in part, reversed in part, and remanded, 8-1, in an opinion by Justice Gorsuch on December 10, 2021. Justices Alito, Kavanaugh, and Barrett joined the opinion in full, and Justice Thomas joined except for Part II-C. Justice Thomas filed an opinion concurring in part and dissenting in part. Chief Justice Roberts filed an opinion concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part, in which Justices Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan joined. Justice Sotomayor filed an opinion concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part, in which Justices Breyer and Kagan joined."

It's not definite. It is always possible that Barrett was the one who lost Whole Woman’s Health v. Jackson to Gorsuch. But she supported Gorsuch's opinion in full, whereas Thomas only supported it in part so clearly had a differing view.

Forum List

Back