Well, how very inhumane of us

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Undocumented Women Forced To Give Birth While Shackled And In Police Custody

"When I was in bed, I was begging the sheriff, 'Please let me free -- at least one hand,' and he said, no, he didn't want to," Juana Villegas said in an interview with a local Nashville television station. She was describing the experience of being shackled to her hospital bed as she went into labor. Villegas gave birth in the sheriff's custody, after she was stopped by local police while driving without a valid license.

According to Elliott Ozment, Villegas's lawyer, driving without a license is generally handled with a citation, not an arrest. He believes Villegas was only brought in because she was an undocumented immigrant.

Like Villegas, Alma Chacon, and Miriam Mendiola-Martinez gave birth in the United States shackled to their hospital beds, without their husbands, and in the presence of a prison guard. They also were not violent criminals, but rather, they were all undocumented and charged with an immigration-related offense in Sheriff Arpaio’s jurisdiction of Maricopa County, Arizona.

Cases such as these have garnered outrage from immigrant rights advocates. Critics take aim at both the legal classification of immigration-related offenses and the standards of prioritizing undocumented mothers' rights at the state and federal level.

I cannot imagine. I've given birth. I can't imagine being in restraints while doing so.

Why don't you have sex with a black man, like Sarah Palin
Perhaps your reviews will improve, like hers did.

Sorry, i have ZERO outrage at all. Criminals are shackled to the bed as standard practice while being treated in a hospital

its to damn bad they did get her on a plain and ship her out of the country before she had her chance to drop anchor. .

Sorry, i have ZERO outrage at all. Criminals are shackled to the bed as standard practice while being treated in a hospital

its to damn bad they did get her on a plain and ship her out of the country before she had her chance to drop anchor. .

You can be mean to. But funnier.

"When I was in bed, I was begging the sheriff, 'Please let me free -- at least one hand,' and he said, no, he didn't want to," Juana Villegas said in an interview with a local Nashville television station. She was describing the experience of being shackled to her hospital bed as she went into labor. Villegas gave birth in the sheriff's custody, after she was stopped by local police while driving without a valid license.

According to Elliott Ozment, Villegas's lawyer, driving without a license is generally handled with a citation, not an arrest. He believes Villegas was only brought in because she was an undocumented immigrant.

Like Villegas, Alma Chacon, and Miriam Mendiola-Martinez gave birth in the United States shackled to their hospital beds, without their husbands, and in the presence of a prison guard. They also were not violent criminals, but rather, they were all undocumented and charged with an immigration-related offense in Sheriff Arpaio’s jurisdiction of Maricopa County, Arizona.

Cases such as these have garnered outrage from immigrant rights advocates. Critics take aim at both the legal classification of immigration-related offenses and the standards of prioritizing undocumented mothers' rights at the state and federal level.

I cannot imagine. I've given birth. I can't imagine being in restraints while doing so.

Do you believe the story? I know of no penal facility anywhere and certainly no hospital where this would happen.

Do you believe the story? I know of no penal facility anywhere and certainly no hospital where this would happen.

I believe it happens.

Thank (insert your preferred Deity here) that this kind of shit is unusual.

You can be mean.

And for no apparent reason - baffling. :eusa_eh:

You've obviously, or intentionally, missed some of her foul posts.

Foul deserves foul

O.K.................

:eusa_eh: But comin' out shootin' with both guns on the first post?

What the fuck? :dunno: Where's the discussion in that?

Shall I send you some of her "caring and nurturing" PMs and neg reps?

Likes to play dirty in private - victim on the surface.

No sympathy here friend.

What, shackling prisoners to a gurney in a public hospital? Happens everywhere..all the time.

You've obviously, or intentionally, missed some of her foul posts.

Foul deserves foul

O.K.................

No sympathy here friend.

Say no more, brother - I understand folks having issues with each other, being human and all. I just ass-u-me-ed that it was a discussion because it ain't in The Flame Zone.......

And seriously... Say no more - the LAST thing I'm interested in seeing is private messages belonging to anyone but me - especially the toxic ones. :talk2hand:

Last edited:
O.K.................

No sympathy here friend.

Say no more, brother - I understand folks having issues with each other, being human and all. I just ass-u-me-ed that it was a discussion because it ain't in The Flame Zone.......

And seriously... Say no more - the LAST thing I'm interested in seeing is any of your private messages - especially the toxic ones. :talk2hand:

She's got a thing for attacking families too.

Fucking sicko.

ZERO credibility/respect from me. A total POS.

Have a good one bro.

If the people we trust to enforce our law don't respect them, then don't expect the public to

Last edited:
Oh, right; not actually inhumane at all.

Raise your hand if you know what it feels like to have breasts full of milk, with no relief/release in sight.

For Juana Villegas, going into labor while in prison meant that her ankles were cuffed together on the ride to the hospital, and that she was denied a breast pump by local authorities after she was given one by medical professionals. Without a breast pump, "she was in great pain" after she gave birth and had trouble sleeping in prison, Ozment, her attorney, said in a phone interview.

I struggled to believe it too, at first. That is until I looked into the legal status of re-entering after deportation. If a deportee re-enters some states it's out of ICE's hands and becomes a criminal matter instead of a civil matter.

Although the Bureau of Prisons instituted an anti-shackling policy in federal correctional facilities in 2007, state correctional facilities are still free to shackle inmates before, during and after child delivery if they see fit.

Shackling during childbirth is illegal in 14 states and is against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) policy. But women being held for immigration-related offenses classified as "criminal offenses" can still legally be handcuffed to their hospital beds by state authorities in the 36 other states. Those women can also be denied the right to have a family member in the birthing room, or to hold their newborns for longer than 24 hours.

I'm in two minds over this.

Firstly, it strikes me as an incredibly archane measure. Also, putting a pregnant mother under physical duress threatens the baby's chances of surviving childbirth, and they're innocent of anything.

However, some states are at their wits end with regards to curbing illegal entry or are on the frontline, so to speak. The issue of anchor babies is a hot topic, and one that a lot of Americans are anxious to be done away with. The measures described by the link may just be one of several disuasive measues being trialed by states who are running out of conventional legal measures to curb the flood of illegal border hoppers from Mexico and Central America.

Last edited:

I find it hard to believe. Sad if true.

.... not usually... not even in the psych wards... it is most uncommon.

yes... usually.

You have a criminal...for what ever reason in a public hospital.. they have cuffs on. If they are on a gurney...they are cuffed to the gurney.

Forum List

Back