Welker block on Aqib-Talib was legal

I love it.

Someone in the NFL offices is standing up for physical contact to be revered as part of the athletic conflict.

Nothing would please me more than Welker continuing on with this particular practice in the Superbowl.

What I envision is Welker attempting to "rub" Chancellor off of a defense of a Manning pass to one of his other recievers. My guess is that the Seahawks are cooking up an answer to the "rub/pick" and since the violence during such a proceedure has been given the green light by the higher ups.. It's on like Donkey Kong. I bet we have an assasin waiting in the weeds to "rub out the rubber". All legal because it's not interference... it is blocking. That changes the rules of engagement considerably. This should be fun to see how this thing is played out. If Welker decides to alter his role as a reciever to a blocker then clearly he is fair game to any defensive player within the rules of blocking. That means as long as the defensive player is face to face and does not grab Welkers jersey he can push Welker off his feet with his hands or shoulder and pancake him as he is stumbling backwards. 6' 4" 250 lb plus SS Chancellor should have no problem steam rolling right over 5' 9" 189 lb Welker defending himself from Welker's "block/rub/pick".

The field surface should be nice and hard. I wonder how many faceplants Welker is willing to absorb before he developes an injury, real or imagined, that assures him safety on his bench.

Forum List

Back