Weightlifting, ab workout and "pullups" for old guys.

I can lift hard, but I got a lot of old injuries and I'm in pain all the time, and that fucks up my recovery. You need a good diet, and some good sleep..... and a good night's sleep is hard to come by for someone like me.
Do you do maxes when you lift? My son who weightlifts told me I should stay comfortably below my max and go for more reps, so that's what I do.
And a young man's training plan isn't going to work for us older guys.
They have the best intentions but they don't understand the changes our bodies go through with the accumulated mileage we have; they can't yet.
Talk to old lifters, see what they say.

They have the best intentions but they don't understand the changes our bodies go through with the accumulated mileage we have; they can't yet.
He didn't give me his plan, I'd be in the hospital! He benches way over his body weight.

Good gravy, I'm young. I got time later on to build more muscle and actually exercise the way I want to when I'm off work.

I'm pretty fit now, but I don't work out. I just work.
I worked in residential construction since I was 12. After work me and my cousins would work out with weights .And I would go for a run it helped to get rid of the stress and helped me get to sleep.

I really should look into riding a bike, it's such good low impact cardio, but I just don't know when I'd find the time.
There's always those Peleton things.
Nahh..... too much like riding to nowhere.
Besides I'm a black iron guy...... I'd be embarrassed to have something like that in the house.
Actually pedalling down the road is different.
My brother has lifted weights all his adult life. He’s 63 now and still in fantastic shape, but he has a bunch of ailments. He has varying levels of neck, back, and shoulder pain. He can’t lift his right arm over his head. However, he’s the only person I know his age who can sit Indian style on the floor and rise to his feet without using his hands. He did a lot of biking when he lived in Manhattan years ago.
Well there's weightlifting and then there's weightlifting. I've only been doing it for a year or so and I probably lift a fraction of what your brother lifted.
I was in my 40s before I even got a clue what I was doing with a barbell.
Big difference between exercising and training; I knew how to exercise, get a good sweat going, didn't know shit about building strength with a barbell.
And as I got older, the bodyweight workouts were getting less and less returns on the time invested.

I wish I had read "Starting Strength" when I was still in my 20s.
Lifting started for all males in my house at the age of 13.

He didn't give me his plan, I'd be in the hospital! He benches way over his body weight.
Benching twice your body weight was expected by sophomore year in high school at the latest in my house.

I really should look into riding a bike, it's such good low impact cardio, but I just don't know when I'd find the time.
There's always those Peleton things.
Nahh..... too much like riding to nowhere.
Besides I'm a black iron guy...... I'd be embarrassed to have something like that in the house.
Actually pedalling down the road is different.
My brother has lifted weights all his adult life. He’s 63 now and still in fantastic shape, but he has a bunch of ailments. He has varying levels of neck, back, and shoulder pain. He can’t lift his right arm over his head. However, he’s the only person I know his age who can sit Indian style on the floor and rise to his feet without using his hands. He did a lot of biking when he lived in Manhattan years ago.
Well there's weightlifting and then there's weightlifting. I've only been doing it for a year or so and I probably lift a fraction of what your brother lifted.
I was in my 40s before I even got a clue what I was doing with a barbell.
Big difference between exercising and training; I knew how to exercise, get a good sweat going, didn't know shit about building strength with a barbell.
And as I got older, the bodyweight workouts were getting less and less returns on the time invested.

I wish I had read "Starting Strength" when I was still in my 20s.
Lifting started for all males in my house at the age of 13.
I loved Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning system years ago, but now I save it for when I need to take a break from the weights for a couple weeks.
I still do the bridging regularly though.

I also used to spend a lot of time with kettlebells and gymnastic rings.

Benching twice your body weight was expected by sophomore year in high school at the latest in my house.
Your dad teach you?

Your dad teach you?
Oh yeah. It was a part of life growing up in my house. Homework, yardwork, lifting, running. We never really thought about it.

Your dad teach you?
Oh yeah. It was a part of life growing up in my house. Homework, yardwork, lifting, running. We never really thought about it.
You were lucky to have that.

Your dad teach you?
You were lucky to have that.
I agree. He was winning bench press comps into his mid 70s.

And you should have seen my grandfather....!

Last edited:
I imagine the HS football coach loved your family!
The town actually made up a special award for my mother after the last of us had graduated. The then retired coach who had coached all of us presented it to her (should have been the wrestling coach, but the football coach was a legend in the town for decades). They knew where it all really came from!

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back