Weightlifting, ab workout and "pullups" for old guys.

I really should look into riding a bike, it's such good low impact cardio, but I just don't know when I'd find the time.
There's always those Peleton things.
Nahh..... too much like riding to nowhere.
Besides I'm a black iron guy...... I'd be embarrassed to have something like that in the house.
Actually pedalling down the road is different.

... the goal isn't to get the perfect beach body cuz that ain't happening! ....

Depends on the beach...

1619051199457.png

When working out (or restarting workouts), it's best to start at a light, easy to do level, and then as you get to the point where you can do it without much strain, GRADUALLY increase what you are doing. The thing that discourages a lot of people from working out is trying to do too much at the beginning, getting sore, and then thinking it's not worth it.

When I first started getting back on my bicycle (at almost 50 years old), I didn't think I was the young stud I was in my 20's and 30's, where I was biking 50 to 100 miles per day. I started out at around 4 miles, and gradually built myself up to where I could ride 20 miles and not even bat an eye. Sadly, the long haul rides I used to take when I was younger are not something I do anymore. Used to be that almost every Saturday when I was stationed in Jacksonville FL, I would ride 42 miles from Orange Park out to Jacksonville beach, probably ride 5 miles while at the beach, looking at all the pretty ladies, and then back the 42 miles to home. I'd leave sometime around 10 am and was back home by around 4 or 6, depending on how much time I spent at the beach.
I really should look into riding a bike, it's such good low impact cardio, but I just don't know when I'd find the time.

Plus, you get really 'tired' (!!!)

Besides I'm a black iron guy...... I'd be embarrassed to have something like that in the house.
My brother has lifted weights all his adult life. He’s 63 now and still in fantastic shape, but he has a bunch of ailments. He has varying levels of neck, back, and shoulder pain. He can’t lift his right arm over his head. However, he’s the only person I know his age who can sit Indian style on the floor and rise to his feet without using his hands. He did a lot of biking when he lived in Manhattan years ago.

My brother has lifted weights all his adult life. He’s 63 now and still in fantastic shape, but he has a bunch of ailments. He has varying levels of neck, back, and shoulder pain. He can’t lift his right arm over his head. However, he’s the only person I know his age who can sit Indian style on the floor and rise to his feet without using his hands. He did a lot of biking when he lived in Manhattan years ago.
Well there's weightlifting and then there's weightlifting. I've only been doing it for a year or so and I probably lift a fraction of what your brother lifted.

I agree, I have a mountain bike that I take out occasionally. I only suggested the spinner because they are convenient.

Well there's weightlifting and then there's weightlifting. I've only been doing it for a year or so and I probably lift a fraction of what your brother lifted.
I was in my 40s before I even got a clue what I was doing with a barbell.

Big difference between exercising and training; I knew how to exercise, get a good sweat going, didn't know shit about building strength with a barbell.
And as I got older, the bodyweight workouts were getting less and less returns on the time invested.

I wish I had read "Starting Strength" when I was still in my 20s.

When working out (or restarting workouts), it's best to start at a light, easy to do level, and then as you get to the point where you can do it without much strain, GRADUALLY increase what you are doing. The thing that discourages a lot of people from working out is trying to do too much at the beginning, getting sore, and then thinking it's not worth it.

When I first started getting back on my bicycle (at almost 50 years old), I didn't think I was the young stud I was in my 20's and 30's, where I was biking 50 to 100 miles per day. I started out at around 4 miles, and gradually built myself up to where I could ride 20 miles and not even bat an eye. Sadly, the long haul rides I used to take when I was younger are not something I do anymore. Used to be that almost every Saturday when I was stationed in Jacksonville FL, I would ride 42 miles from Orange Park out to Jacksonville beach, probably ride 5 miles while at the beach, looking at all the pretty ladies, and then back the 42 miles to home. I'd leave sometime around 10 am and was back home by around 4 or 6, depending on how much time I spent at the beach.

You don't know where you would find the time? 30 min. on a bike is a good place to start, and yeah, you can find 30 min. in your day just about anywhere. 30 min for only 3 - 4 times a week is a good start.

(And anyone can ride at least 2 miles for 30 min., even if it's on a mountain bike).

Big difference between exercising and training; I knew how to exercise, get a good sweat going, didn't know shit about building strength with a barbell.
And as I got older, the bodyweight workouts were getting less and less returns on the time invested.

Good point. I've been lifting all my adult life, but now in my late 40s I'm learning more about how to make it really count. I can't do the balls out, heavy workouts I did in my 20s and 30s every time. I have to go low weight/high reps more often so I don't get injured. And recovery time slowed down a lot for me after I turned about 45. A pulled muscle takes several weeks to recover from now, and general soreness lasts for days or up to a week sometimes. Getting old sucks.

Good point. I've been lifting all my adult life, but now in my late 40s I'm learning more about how to make it really count. I can't do the balls out, heavy workouts I did in my 20s and 30s every time. I have to go low weight/high reps more often so I don't get injured. And recovery time slowed down a lot for me after I turned about 45. A pulled muscle takes several weeks to recover from now, and general soreness lasts for days or up to a week sometimes. Getting old sucks.
Baker and Rippetoe convinced me (along with my own experience) that volume is the enemy for older guys.
A good training plan with emphasis on diet and recovery time is key..... lift heavy when you lift, but don't overdo it. Because the older we get, the easier it is to do too much.

I can lift hard, but I got a lot of old injuries and I'm in pain all the time, and that fucks up my recovery. You need a good diet, and some good sleep..... and a good night's sleep is hard to come by for someone like me.

When I'm rolling or doing randori, I go real easy, concentrate on technique and make it more like playing as much as possible. I save the all-out effort for when some street mutt needs to be dragged off a nurse and held down for the cops.

It only gets worse as you age. I’m 64 and gave up weight lifting some time ago.

Good gravy, I'm young. I got time later on to build more muscle and actually exercise the way I want to when I'm off work.

I'm pretty fit now, but I don't work out. I just work.
It can't hurt to do some basic things while you are working. If nothing else it's a good stress reliever, at least it was for me.

I can lift hard, but I got a lot of old injuries and I'm in pain all the time, and that fucks up my recovery. You need a good diet, and some good sleep..... and a good night's sleep is hard to come by for someone like me.
Do you do maxes when you lift? My son who weightlifts told me I should stay comfortably below my max and go for more reps, so that's what I do.

So I've been doing more upper body and core these last few months and I really like it! It doesn't take that long to do the routines and I notice a pretty big difference. When your over 60 the goal isn't to get the perfect beach body cuz that ain't happening! But it is good to feel stronger in your core and upper body. If you don't do something you just get weaker and then you start falling and.... uh oh. So for what it's worth this is what I do. I'm 63, 6' 1 and 205 lbs.

25 pullups on a short bar, so I'm not fully extended. Basically half pull ups.
Ab ripper X 2 or 3 times a week. A 15 minute core workout easy to find on the web.
Bench Press 2 or 3 times a week 135 lbs. 5-7 reps repeat 6 times
Dead Lift 1 or 2 times per week. 140-180 lbs. 4-5 reps repeat 3 times.

I also do stretching on an inversion board and a beginner yoga routine 2 or 3 times a week.

The point is, do something. Everyone is different, and this is not meant to be one size fits all. It's just what I've been doing and it has been showing benefits. Be well.

Good for you.

Weight training, even light training, is healthy.

There's a lot of emphasis on exercise, such as walking, which is totally justified. Such exercise covers up a multitude of health sins.

But our muscles atrophy as we get older. Even light weight training helps delay the deterioration of our bodies.

Do you do maxes when you lift? My son who weightlifts told me I should stay comfortably below my max and go for more reps, so that's what I do.
I do sets of 5 at between 80-90% of my max, never more than 3 work sets. It depends on where I'm at in the cycle. The warm up sets take longer than the actual work.

Read the book; it explains it all better than I can.

So I've been doing more upper body and core these last few months and I really like it! It doesn't take that long to do the routines and I notice a pretty big difference. When your over 60 the goal isn't to get the perfect beach body cuz that ain't happening! But it is good to feel stronger in your core and upper body. If you don't do something you just get weaker and then you start falling and.... uh oh. So for what it's worth this is what I do. I'm 63, 6' 1 and 205 lbs.

25 pullups on a short bar, so I'm not fully extended. Basically half pull ups.
Ab ripper X 2 or 3 times a week. A 15 minute core workout easy to find on the web.
Bench Press 2 or 3 times a week 135 lbs. 5-7 reps repeat 6 times
Dead Lift 1 or 2 times per week. 140-180 lbs. 4-5 reps repeat 3 times.

I also do stretching on an inversion board and a beginner yoga routine 2 or 3 times a week.

The point is, do something. Everyone is different, and this is not meant to be one size fits all. It's just what I've been doing and it has been showing benefits. Be well.

Good for you.

Weight training, even light training, is healthy.

There's a lot of emphasis on exercise, such as walking, which is totally justified. Such exercise covers up a multitude of health sins.

But our muscles atrophy as we get older. Even light weight training helps delay the deterioration of our bodies.
Thanks. That's why I started this thread, I never realized how beneficial it was but after nearly a year of doing it, I'm sure it is a good thing as long as you stay within your limitations and be sensible about it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back