Webb passes the halfway mark Today!

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
It's too bad they couldn't find a way to turn the boosters on just long enough to speed up the process a bit. At the current rate of deceleration the other half of the journey will take another 20 days Plus. In any case we're getting there. I am fairly jumping out of my skin waiting for the first images of early galaxies to show.

Jo

I believe space is not smooth. It is composed of runes of gravity, antigravity, strings and many other undiscovered runes. Runes are partially infinite.

Disclaimer: I'm not a physicist and I'm not good at math.

Perhaps Webb will see evidence of The Void, the largest black hole in the multiverse. The Void orbits around the outside of all universes, including our own.

I believe the multiverse creates about 1 trillion universes per second. But perhaps it also destroys about a trillion universes per second.

I believe dark matter is governed by infinitely dense gravity runes. Dark energy is governed by infinitely flat antigravity runes. Photons of the electroweak force are governed by infinitely thin string runes.

We have not yet discovered runes. They are not part of the standard model or relativity. They are part of spacial physics which we have not yet discovered.

I believe the multiverse creates about 1 trillion universes per second. But perhaps it also destroys about a trillion universes per second.
I believe your make believe numbers are now some of the most baseless things you’ve said. And that’s a very very low bar.

Back to the Webb. Great OP!

It's too bad they couldn't find a way to turn the boosters on just long enough to speed up the process a bit. At the current rate of deceleration the other half of the journey will take another 20 days Plus. In any case we're getting there. I am fairly jumping out of my skin waiting for the first images of early galaxies to show.

Jo
I was born in 1943. Although I loved to read science fiction in my early years, I never thought I would see the day that we were able to say that there were other stars with planets. And even tell what the masses of those planets are, and their orbits. Webb may have the capability to tell if there is oxygen in the atmospheres of the earth sized planets in the goldilocks zone. If we fine that, then we have found the first evidence of life outside our solar system. I hope that I can make the century mark, just to see what we develop. I expect to see the beginning of the singularity by 2030, and after that, who knows?

They completed a rather tricky maneuver.

Sunshield Tensioning Complete

The Sunshield is Fully Deployed!
Nominal Event Time: Launch + 10 days
Tensioning of all 5 layers of the sunshield is complete which puts the sunshield in its fully deployed state.
Temperatures on the Sun/hot side of the sunshield will reach a maximum of approximately 383K or approximately 230 degrees F and on the cold mirror/instruments side of the sunshield, a minimum of approximately 36K or around -394 degrees F. Due to the engineering of the sunshield, this incredible transition takes place across a distance of approximately six feet.

The secondary mirror is now being deployed.

This site gives a time line of the Webb telescope. There are several links there to see details. An animation shows the actual progress. One critical event is the unfolding of one of the mirror segments today.

Forum List

Back