Wealth Tax: Yeah! Why do Warren Buffett and Bill gates need so much money in their Trust?

First, the rich are paying the same property taxes as everyone else. They paying that "wealth tax" as you put it.
The rich are paying a wealth tax on their real estate, but the rich are different from you and I, most of their wealth does not come from land. Larry Ellison is a good example.

Bloomberg estimates Ellison's total fortune at just under $81 billion.

His real estate holdings range from Malibu to Rhode Island to owning 98% of the Hawaiian island of Lanai, yet they total less than $6 billion.

Unlike the vast majority of Americans, Larry's paying a wealth tax on about 7.5% of his net worth.

"MARCH 2, 2021
The Average American Pay Tax on Half of Their Wealth, Shouldn’t Rich Americans?"

Income is not wealth.

It is typical of partisans to ignore the meanings of words in their propaganda.

Wealth is net worth not income.
demofks never listen to facts.

Lizzy Cheekbones teamed up with Bernie "Please may I have another screwing over at the voting Booth" Sanders to propose a "wealth tax"

It's slated to be only 2% annual tax on wealth over $50MM, but why stop there?

Are CCPdemocrats aiming too low? I mean the Gate Trust alone must have $50 BILLION!!! Why aren't dems targeting that idle wealth?
Why do you hate government spending?
hahahahahahahahaha why do you think? really, what is it you don't get? money in money out. oh wait, money in isn't anywhere money out. and you ask that question, hilarious. you are the reason for a busted government.

We will need to pay off debt somehow.
We need to stop spending---------making billionaires and politicians richer.
I would argue we need to stop cutting taxes and require a tax increase for any spending. We keep cutting taxes so nobody cares about debt. They will care when taxes increase.
Why is it always increase taxes rather than cut spending? If we cut out all the frivolous spending, we wouldn't need to keep raising taxes.

Also, its impossible to pay off the debt as there is more money owed than there is in existence. Every dollar borrowed is borrowed with interest, even if you gave back every dollar that was ever borrowed, you'd still owe the interest, which can only be paid by borrowing more money.

Its an endless cycle that can only be slowed by decreasing the rate of spending.
Because nobody cares about debt without a tax increase. Remember the tea party? They complained and complained about debt until they got tax cuts and then they disappeared. Meanwhile deficits increased drastically. The only way spending cuts will happen is if we get a tax increase and make people care about debt. Nobody cares about debt, they care about taxes.
But, the problem with that is, if we get into this idea that, hey, if we need more money, then we can just raise taxes. It gives no incentive to reduce spending if government thinks they can keep raising taxes to cover spending.

You have to cut spending because there is a limit to how much you can tax the people. At some point, people will be giving more money to the government than they keep for themselves....we're almost already there.

People in general don't care, and don't even think about the debt, they think about how much money they have in their paychecks. Most people don't even realize what the government is using all of their money for, they just take it for granted that "when payday comes, the government gets their cut and I get mine".

When you raise taxes, government doesn't say "oh hey, we have more money, let's do something so we can lower taxes later", they say "hey, we have more money now, so we can spend more" or, often, "we have to raise taxes to cover what we've already spent".

The debt ceiling keeps going up and up, every year it seems like we run into the debt ceiling and they keep raising it. That represents money that has to be paid back to someone, with interest. If you keep incurring debt, you can't make the payments if you never increase taxes. This is why I think we need to focus on spending cuts. We have to get spending under control so we can maybe someday lower taxes.

I'm no economist, but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night......and I also realize that if you keep borrowing more money, you have to keep increasing your taxes to cover that borrowing.
Tax payers will only pay so much before anger.
Most tax payers have no clue what they actually pay in taxes.
most americans don't pay taxes.

I would argue we need to stop cutting taxes and require a tax increase for any spending. We keep cutting taxes so nobody cares about debt. They will care when taxes increase.
You obviously don't pay taxes----

CUT SPENDING --the government steals more than enough of my money. They are just robbing taxpayers and fyi ONCE AGAIN..you are completely ignorant if you think the billionaires don't have loopholes to get out of paying taxes leaving the middle class and lower upper class to pay for all of this graft and corruption. This is why billionaires donate aka BUY politicians-----

CUT spending----------make every dime be accounted for..........
I pay a shit ton of taxes. Increase taxes and spending will be cut. Until then people don’t care and debt will grow.

Increase taxes and spending will be cut?

That's not true. Never has been true.

Why didn't that work in Greece? If you made just $48,000 a year, you were subjected to a 44% tax rate, plus your social security tax of 25%, plus the 24% VAT sales tax.

Why did Greece go broke? Why did they end up in a crisis, default on their bonds, and have people burning wood to keep warm, because they couldn't even afford natural gas?

Explain?
The first bush increased taxes and that made people care about debt. Clinton then decreased deficits.

Actually that is not true. You can look up the budget proposals by Clinton, and see that every single budget proposal he ever made, has no plans for reducing the deficit.

It was Republicans with the 1994 "Contract With America" with Newt Gingrich that pushed for deficit reduction by....... Not increasing taxes, and no it wasn't anything to do with Bush.....

But rather, by cutting spending. You can go look this up. Every single year, under the Republican congress, they undercut Bill Clinton's budget.

None of Clinton's budget proposals ever had a balanced budget, nor a surplus.

Without the Republicans, no balanced budget would have ever happened. And by the way, we know this because the moment they had a surplus, they signed bills to spend most of it. There is no point to a 'surplus' if you spend it, instead of paying down the debts.

And by the way, the tax hikes from Bush, were followed by an increase in the deficit. The problems wasn't taxes. The problem was the spending.

Why is it always increase taxes rather than cut spending? If we cut out all the frivolous spending, we wouldn't need to keep raising taxes.

Also, its impossible to pay off the debt as there is more money owed than there is in existence. Every dollar borrowed is borrowed with interest, even if you gave back every dollar that was ever borrowed, you'd still owe the interest, which can only be paid by borrowing more money.

Its an endless cycle that can only be slowed by decreasing the rate of spending.
Because nobody cares about debt without a tax increase. Remember the tea party? They complained and complained about debt until they got tax cuts and then they disappeared. Meanwhile deficits increased drastically. The only way spending cuts will happen is if we get a tax increase and make people care about debt. Nobody cares about debt, they care about taxes.
But, the problem with that is, if we get into this idea that, hey, if we need more money, then we can just raise taxes. It gives no incentive to reduce spending if government thinks they can keep raising taxes to cover spending.

You have to cut spending because there is a limit to how much you can tax the people. At some point, people will be giving more money to the government than they keep for themselves....we're almost already there.

People in general don't care, and don't even think about the debt, they think about how much money they have in their paychecks. Most people don't even realize what the government is using all of their money for, they just take it for granted that "when payday comes, the government gets their cut and I get mine".

When you raise taxes, government doesn't say "oh hey, we have more money, let's do something so we can lower taxes later", they say "hey, we have more money now, so we can spend more" or, often, "we have to raise taxes to cover what we've already spent".

The debt ceiling keeps going up and up, every year it seems like we run into the debt ceiling and they keep raising it. That represents money that has to be paid back to someone, with interest. If you keep incurring debt, you can't make the payments if you never increase taxes. This is why I think we need to focus on spending cuts. We have to get spending under control so we can maybe someday lower taxes.

I'm no economist, but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night......and I also realize that if you keep borrowing more money, you have to keep increasing your taxes to cover that borrowing.
Tax payers will only pay so much before anger.
Most tax payers have no clue what they actually pay in taxes.
They know how much their paychecks are. When a tax increase cuts pay, they will not be happy. Everyone loves their freebies now. The right loves military spending cause they have never paid for it. The left loves big gov cause they don’t pay for it. Everybody hates taxes...
All they know is the net.

Most people have absolutely no clue how much they pay in taxes besides no one is talking about raising taxes on most working people
Don’t underestimate the rich influence on politics. If they are unhappy about a tax increase, policy will be to cut spending.

It hasn't happened yet and the rich have owned our political system for 200 years.
And they pay drastically less in taxes. Tax cuts fuel big gov.

Even when the rich paid 70% the government never cut spending.

If you give the government more revenue they will simply spend that too.

In reality the government doesn't care how much revenue they take in they will spend more every year no matter what.
Yet we didn’t have a deficit problem back then . Deficit problems started with Reagan who cut taxes...

We've been running deficits almost every year since 1929
And they weren’t a large percent of gdp till the 80s. Obviously small deficits are not a big problem.

increasing taxes has never paid down the deficit ....when DC gets more money they spend it and enrich their family friends and allies . the more they get the more they spend the more they spend the more they steal.
But it has. The first Bush increased taxes and that made people care about debt. Deficits drastically increased under Clinton due to this.

Deficits didn't increase under Clinton.

In fact, by Clinton's second term, the deficit was eliminated with billions in surplus.

Clinton raised taxes on the rich when he first came into office. None of the republicans voted for it.

Clinton raised taxes on the rich and cut spending.

He left a balanced budget with billions in surplus and a plan to have the reagan/bush national debt paid off by 2010. He also paid back all the money that had been stolen from the social security fund. Took it out of the red and back into the black.

Too bad the republicans and the bush boy trashed it.

The Republicans are the ones who caused that surplus. Again, you can go read Clinton's proposed budgets, and budget projections. Not one... not even one of them, projected a surplus. Or even a reduction in debt.

In fact, it was only because Bill Clinton's stimulus package in 1993, was shot down as being excessive.

The GOP launched a massive effort to destroy Bill Clinton's massive spending bill in 1992. It was just as excessive as Obama's bill, the only difference was, the Democrats pushed Obama's over spending bill through.

In 1993, smarter people prevented it. Then you claim deficits didn't rise under Clinton? Yeah, because of Republicans.

If not for us, Bill Clinton would have tripled the debt.

Facts over opinion. Sorry, you lose.

Spending never stops, it is the cause of debt, anywhere. Not tax cuts or tax increases. We want spending cuts. Not one politician will ever run on that . Why term limits is the only debt relief
But you don't want spending cuts. When repubs had full control they passed tax cuts and a huge military spending INCREASE! And all the repubs rejoiced. Now if there had been a tax increase associated with that spending increase you'd not be so happy.
dude, I want spending cuts, I've never preached anything other than that to cut the debt. you're in error about me. I believe tax cuts are good for my fellow americans. I want people to keep their own money.
If you were against trumps increased military spending you are in a minority on the right.

CUT SPENDING --the government steals more than enough of my money. They are just robbing taxpayers and fyi ONCE AGAIN..you are completely ignorant if you think the billionaires don't have loopholes to get out of paying taxes leaving the middle class and lower upper class to pay for all of this graft and corruption. This is why billionaires donate aka BUY politicians-----

I pay a shit ton of taxes. Increase taxes and spending will be cut. Until then people don’t care and debt will grow.

Increase taxes and spending will be cut?

That's not true. Never has been true.

Why didn't that work in Greece? If you made just $48,000 a year, you were subjected to a 44% tax rate, plus your social security tax of 25%, plus the 24% VAT sales tax.

Why did Greece go broke? Why did they end up in a crisis, default on their bonds, and have people burning wood to keep warm, because they couldn't even afford natural gas?

Explain?
The first bush increased taxes and that made people care about debt. Clinton then decreased deficits.

Actually that is not true. You can look up the budget proposals by Clinton, and see that every single budget proposal he ever made, has no plans for reducing the deficit.

It was Republicans with the 1994 "Contract With America" with Newt Gingrich that pushed for deficit reduction by....... Not increasing taxes, and no it wasn't anything to do with Bush.....

But rather, by cutting spending. You can go look this up. Every single year, under the Republican congress, they undercut Bill Clinton's budget.

None of Clinton's budget proposals ever had a balanced budget, nor a surplus.

Without the Republicans, no balanced budget would have ever happened. And by the way, we know this because the moment they had a surplus, they signed bills to spend most of it. There is no point to a 'surplus' if you spend it, instead of paying down the debts.

And by the way, the tax hikes from Bush, were followed by an increase in the deficit. The problems wasn't taxes. The problem was the spending.
You missed the point. The tax increase made people care about debt and that lead to decreased deficits.

Increase TAXES and revenue will drop as fewer people will work and more spending as our courrpt are ALWAYS pushing for will occur pushing us further into debt you dip. Don't you ever read the history?
Increase taxes and tax payers will care about debt, making spending increases political suicide.
As I think you said previously, that could work if every spending bill containing new spending also contained a corresponding tax increase. Unfortunately, congresscritters are human too, and would take measures to avoid tying their pet spending to tax increases. They would declare their spending to be "emergency", for just one example, and use omnibus spending bills even more than they do now where everything is tossed into one bill and passed before anyone really digs into them.
Interesting point. Maybe we should tie tax increases to deficits then.
I agree that tying government expenditures and borrowing to tax increases would put a lot of pressure on Congress to restrain spending. Do that along with eliminating payroll withholding and holding elections the day after tax day would have a big impact. Of course, ethical and moral congresscritters would help a lot too.

increasing taxes has never paid down the deficit ....when DC gets more money they spend it and enrich their family friends and allies . the more they get the more they spend the more they spend the more they steal.
But it has. The first Bush increased taxes and that made people care about debt. Deficits drastically increased under Clinton due to this.

In fact, by Clinton's second term, the deficit was eliminated with billions in surplus.

Clinton raised taxes on the rich when he first came into office. None of the republicans voted for it.

He left a balanced budget with billions in surplus and a plan to have the reagan/bush national debt paid off by 2010. He also paid back all the money that had been stolen from the social security fund. Took it out of the red and back into the black.

The Republicans are the ones who caused that surplus. Again, you can go read Clinton's proposed budgets, and budget projections. Not one... not even one of them, projected a surplus. Or even a reduction in debt.

In fact, it was only because Bill Clinton's stimulus package in 1993, was shot down as being excessive.

The GOP launched a massive effort to destroy Bill Clinton's massive spending bill in 1992. It was just as excessive as Obama's bill, the only difference was, the Democrats pushed Obama's over spending bill through.

In 1993, smarter people prevented it. Then you claim deficits didn't rise under Clinton? Yeah, because of Republicans.

And when repubs are in full control deficits increase. See Trump first two years. Neither side is good on this issue.

Spending never stops, it is the cause of debt, anywhere. Not tax cuts or tax increases. We want spending cuts. Not one politician will ever run on that . Why term limits is the only debt relief
But you don't want spending cuts. When repubs had full control they passed tax cuts and a huge military spending INCREASE! And all the repubs rejoiced. Now if there had been a tax increase associated with that spending increase you'd not be so happy.
dude, I want spending cuts, I've never preached anything other than that to cut the debt. you're in error about me. I believe tax cuts are good for my fellow americans. I want people to keep their own money.
If you were against trumps increased military spending you are in a minority on the right.
I wanted the country shut down. go pull my posts. I don't care about the shutting down of the government. I haven't moved off that point ever. Trump should never have signed anything.

And when repubs are in full control deficits increase. See Trump first two years. Neither side is good on this issue.
nope. you're factually wrong. fk. They do increase spending. but they bring in more revenue. you should learn what that word is.

BTW, cutting taxes always brings in more revenue. I get it, demofks don't understand math.

I wanted the country shut down. go pull my posts. I don't care about the shutting down of the government. I haven't moved off that point ever. Trump should never have signed anything.
Try to talk to your buddies on the right. Most can’t get enough military spending.

nope. you're factually wrong. fk. They do increase spending. but they bring in more revenue. you should learn what that word is.

BTW, cutting taxes always brings in more revenue.
The Trump tax cuts hurt revenue.

Try to talk to your buddies on the right. Most can’t get enough military spending.
military spending I have no issue with. spend within the taxes received. you're in error as always.

line item veto

nope. prove it.

military spending I have no issue with. spend within the taxes received. you're in error as always.
Haha so you love spending, just your spending?

we bring in tax revenue, what else do we do with it? I'll listen. tell me.

nope. prove it.

we bring in tax revenue, what else do we do with it? I'll listen. tell me.
You already lied about wanting spending cuts.

New Topics

Forum List

Back