Weak Tea? Partiers fear fallout

Papi

Rookie
Mar 22, 2010
Ready and eager to transition from opposing health care reform to targeting the members of Congress who made it happen, tea party organizers find themselves grappling instead with reports of ugly behavior at this weekend’s protests in Washington that could stymie efforts to broaden the movement’s appeal.

While the thousands of tea partiers who thronged the Capitol grounds on short notice in advance of Sunday’s House health care vote were proof of the movement’s continuing energy, their impact was undercut by accounts of racist and homophobic epithets directed at Democratic lawmakers by a handful of individuals among this weekend’s crowd.

Tea party organizers have struggled in recent months to clamp down on fringe elements that have sprung up around — and sometimes within — the movement, including white supremacists and conspiracy theorists who believe that the government played a role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks (“truthers”) or that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States and is therefore ineligible to be president (“birthers”).

Some tea party and GOP leaders quickly denounced the slurs shouted at House Democrats, pointed out they were not representative of most tea partiers and urged protestors to stay focused on the movement’s core issues of limited government and taxation. Others suggested either that reporters and lawmakers had fabricated the incidents, or said the epithets came from tea party opponents who had infiltrated the crowds. Some even demanded apologies from Democrats who they said falsely accused them.

Regardless of who yelled what, the reports themselves could be problematic for the tea party movement, said Adam Brandon, a spokesman for FreedomWorks, the small government group that helped organize tea partiers’ congressional office visits last week.

“Tattoos last forever,” said Brandon, quoting his boss, FreedomWorks chairman and former House Republican Leader Dick Armey. “If the movement gets tattooed as at all sympathetic to those (racist and homophobic) views, I won’t want to be involved in it anymore. It’s very distracting not only to our side but also to the debate and the country.”

Jenny Beth Martin, an Atlanta-based leader of the influential national umbrella group Tea Party Patriots, has played something of a self-policing role at tea party events, including last weekend’s rallies, urging protesters not to engage with counter demonstrators who at times confronted tea partiers.

Of the reported epithets, she said, “we do not allow that kind of thing to happen within our events because it is wrong and we’re not going to put up with it. I don’t think it’s good for any movement to have reports of crazy people doing things like that. More than the movement, I don’t think it’s good for America for that kind of thing to happen.” Pointing to her group’s denunciation of a self-proclaimed tea party leader photographed with a racist sign, Martin said “if we saw that kind of thing happening, we would kick the people out. We have a history of doing that.”

House Democrats expressed outrage at the treatment some of them received over the weekend, and signaled they will make it an issue for the tea party movement’s Republican allies. Referring to “this crazy stuff the Republicans are doing here,” House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), said GOP leaders “ought to be ashamed of themselves for bringing these people here to Washington, D.C., and they're acting like this.”

Source: Politico

An Alinsky tactic

"...in the spring of 1972, at Tulane University...students asked Alinsky to help plan a protest of a scheduled speech by George H. W. Bush, then U.S. representative to the United Nations - a speech likely to include a defense of the Nixon administration's Vietnam War policies. The students told Alinsky they were thinking about picketing or disrupting Bush's address. That's the wrong approach, he rejoined, not very creative - and besides causing a disruption might get them thrown out of school. He told them, instead, to go to hear the speech dressed as members of the Ku Klux Klan, and whenever Bush said something in defense of the Vietnam War, they should cheer and wave placards reading, ‘The KKK supports Bush.' And that is what they did, with very successful, attention-getting results." from "Let Them Call Me Rebel"

It would be cool if Politico had specific examples...oh wait, it's Politico...never mind.

By the way, just because some enraged idiot in a see of people says something inappropriate, doesn't make the enitre crowd a bunch of idiots. It that were the case, then Nancy Pelosi buried the DNC a long time ago.

I happen to agree with you Tex on the enraged idiot comment...
These I agree with you are not the majority of the Tea Bags in the crowd... There are thugs in most large gatherings no doubt...

However with what is being done and successfully I might add on Cable News lead by Fox News, MSBNC and CNN who are in my opinion the 2nd biggest Polarizers of the electorate out their outside of right wing talk show hosts, it's no wonder folks are starting to get revved up! These Media Fools are doing nothing more than instigating and encouraging the Polar Divide that this country now finds itself in with their cleverly worded poll after poll designed to stir up controversy and start a political or ideological or racial Mud Fight so that they can play referee and gain ratings...

It's really getting pretty sick out there...
Throw in High Unemployment, Banks and Credit Cards robbing us blind and our Government acting like juvenile delinquents and it's no wonder Folks are beginning to get rowdy...

This needs to be dialed back or we could be looking at some wars breaking out around the country...

Last edited:
I find the incident very suspicious. The only video I saw showed one of the Democratic congressman speaking to someone (out of the picture) in an aggressive manner and shaking his finger. Not once did the camera come off of the Congressman. There was a security person, at his elbow, who was looking back and forth and finally urged the Congressman on. Why didn't the cameraman swing to the offending person? It was like the scene was all setup ahead of time.

There was no proof whatsoever anyone called black Congress people ******, this was just the claim of Cindy the resident kook.

And if you think this movement is going away, dream on, you big government stooges, we will see an end to your party first and fuck america ways.

There was no proof whatsoever anyone called black Congress people ******, this was just the claim of Cindy the resident kook.

And if you think this movement is going away, dream on, you big government stooges, we will see an end to your party first and fuck america ways.

Oh yeah, they HAVE awakened the sleeping giant.
they think they can belittle, call us names, stomp their feet about "CIVILITY".
I do believe they are in a rude awakening.

Oh yeah, they HAVE awakened the sleeping giant.
they think they can belittle, call us names, stomp their feet about "CIVILITY".
I do believe they are in a rude awakening.

Umm you mispelled gnat.

Time always tells. Like how big a mistake Bush was?
Or deregulating the finiancial markets?

Interesting, I was protesting Bush when he invaded other countries.

Its a good bet you were cheering chimpola on.

Want to keep trying to hint i ever supported that moron, or are you ready to stop trying that us vs them shit with me.

Forum List

Back