We need a NEW symbol of Southern Pride

Bootney Lee Farnsworth

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2017
Tejas
Most Southerners who resist the movement to remove and suppress the Army of Northern Virginia Battle Flag do so because it is the only "uniform" symbol of Southern Pride.
Most of America believes the Battle Flag is a symbol of pride, not racism.

Taking away the symbol of Southern Pride is an attack on good Southerners who are not racist, but generous, peaceful, and loving. Why alienate the good guys without giving them an alternative?

If we are going to take away the one emblem that distinguishes Southerners and gives them a sense of belonging, should we not replace it? If the real goal is to remove emblems of hatred, why not give ALL Southerners (not just white) a NEW symbol of Southern Pride that does NOT represent oppression, racism, rebellion, hatred, treason, etc.? Why not give the South a unifying symbol in exchange?

Most Southerners who resist the movement to remove and suppress the Army of Northern Virginia Battle Flag do so because it is the only "uniform" symbol of Southern Pride.

Taking away the symbol of Southern Pride is an attack on good Southerners who are not racist, but generous, peaceful, and loving. Why alienate the good guys without giving them an alternative?

If we are going to take away the one emblem that distinguishes Southerners and gives them a sense of belonging, should we not replace it? If the real goal is to remove emblems of hatred, why not give ALL Southerners (not just white) a NEW symbol of Southern Pride that does NOT represent oppression, racism, rebellion, hatred, treason, etc.? Why not give the South a unifying symbol in exchange?

Because they don't need a new one, they have a perfectly fine old one.

Modern lefties don't have the Moral Authority to retract the forgiveness and acceptance given to the South, by those the paid the price to defeat them in battle.

Work boots, or would that be racist?

tattered_old_work_boots_by_fantasystock.jpg

I am not sure just how many Southerners consider any and all things Confederate as the source of Southern Pride, so when the OP says we need to find a new source of Southern Pride I am not sure who he is talking to and how many.

That being said, talking to, knowing a lot of Southerners, and being one I have heard people claim many different sources. Probably the most common claimed source is 'Southern Hospitality'. Then there is Sweet Tea. :) I know many who claim the Confederate Flag is a Southern Symbol, but not a source of pride. Being in the military and knowing many military members, most of us see the flag as a symbol of a tragic time in this country during which too many Americans died fighting amongst ourselves / themselves.

This weekend demonstrates there are too many racists, too many misguided Americans driven by and who still cling on to hate. I completely agree with the OP that this has to change and those like this must be shunned, rejected as any part of who we are and what we are about, not only in the south but in this country as a whole.

WTF is southern pride?
Is that like Midwestern Pride? Never heard of it. Nor have I heard of Prairie Pride? Or New England Pride?
I wish I heard American Pride a lot more though.

I do not know of anything the South has to be proud of prior to 1980 or so.

Slavery. Jim Crow laws. Segregation. The Birmingham church bombing. The KKK. Mass lynchings. The Civil War. Black voter suppression.

WTF is southern pride?
Is that like Midwestern Pride? Never heard of it. Nor have I heard of Prairie Pride? Or New England Pride?
I wish I heard American Pride a lot more though.

Regional pride, nothing wrong with it, and generally felt by people also proud to be Americans.

john_schneider_general_lee.jpg

I have never seen a proud Southerner try to snatch away the Confederate flag from the KKK or other white supremacists.

You can add cowardice and silent (if not vocal) assent in the face of naked hatred and racism to their list of achievements.

lunch_counter6.jpg

Slavery. Jim Crow laws. Segregation. The Birmingham church bombing. The KKK. Mass lynchings. The Civil War. Black voter suppression.

Bill CLinton was born 19 fucking 46 in Arkansas.

I have never seen a proud Southerner try to snatch away the Confederate flag from the KKK or other white supremacists.

You can add cowardice and silent (if not vocal) assent to their list of proud achievements.

I've never seen anyone trying to snatch an American flag off of them either.

What does that tell you?

ah vote fer a fried catfish po-boy. On a soft Nawlin's loaf, with iceberg, sliced tahmaters, pickles and comeback dressin. I could use one about now. With fries. Or Zaps potato chips.

do not know of anything the South has to be proud of prior to 1980 or so.

Lyndon Johnson
Jimmy Carter
Bill Clinton

come to think on it..

I agree with you

While I might agree you are implying that Southerners need something besides the American Flag to give them a sense of belonging. Belong to what?

To tell you the truth if it wasn't the fact that white supremacists and sympathizers were all bitching about this I wouldn't care one way or another. I have lived in the South over 30 years and like it and most of the people, but for the life of me I don't know why you're still fighting the civil war. Do you really know who your ancestors are? Maybe some of you did a family tree but not all, you're just going along with the crowd. Everyone a live today should be caring about recent history. I simply just don't understand.

Also the only thing I heard the white supremacists saying the other day was about Jews. But they were trying to save a Confederate statue. How do the Jews fit into a civil war statue?

What's wrong with the ones you have now?

us%7Dkkk3.gif

TC-131462-MainIcon.jpg

11-alt-right-logo.w710.h473.2x.jpg

image33.gif

808223_630x354.jpg

GOPFINAL.png

My God, now many do you need?

What's wrong with the ones you have now?

us%7Dkkk3.gif

TC-131462-MainIcon.jpg

11-alt-right-logo.w710.h473.2x.jpg

image33.gif

808223_630x354.jpg

GOPFINAL.png

My God, now many do you need?

You forgot this one

th

Forum List

Back