We Have the Right to Assemble and Freedom of Religion - Unlawful Arrest of Preacher

Looks like some of our government officials haven't read the Constitution.

---Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful assembly---

No one has yet to tell me why you need to pack 1000 people cheek to jowl in an enclosed space in order to practice religion.

Can't you pray at home with your family or a couple of close friends until the danger of infecting another person with a virus that might endanger their health has passed?

If they actually read their bible they would know that all it takes is two

...and their savior could be counted as 'One'.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
You all think this is cute to limit Christians' rights to assemble now, but realize when the immune suppressed get together in the next regular flu season, when 60K people die anyway, and say ALL big gathering should be limited because they spread germs, you have less and less of a leg to stand on.

I mean I know these things like individual rights and freedoms are sooooo 18th century. But you might want to free your mind a little bit.
You're giving Christians a bad name right now, Sue. All big gatherings ARE limited right now because they spread germs. It's not just Christians.

Oh shaming. A "bad name". Heaven forfend
Are gatherings of more than ten people verboten or not? Concerts, sporting events, conventions? How is that "targeting" Christians? You might not have seen this post several pages back; there are alternative ways to worship right now. No one wants to stop you.
If I were a pastor, I wouldn't hold services in the church and put my parishoners at risk. I realize it's hard on people; if people ever needed their religion, it's now. But there are other ways: Some congregations are doing "drive in's" and others are doing services, readings, etc. on line. You can do Mass (well, you don't get the wafer) on EWTN. There are sermons on tv every Sunday where I live.

there is nothing new about quarantine as a public health
issue. In fact it is BIBLICAL (special for Susie-----dingbat
can ignore it)

This made me laugh. After about 7 PM I am absolutely a complete dingbat. Ask my family

the "dingbat" is my pet name for DING-----not you, Susie.
Dingbat fancies himself a bible-scholar. Getting back to the
bible which you do seem to endorse------LOTS OF LAWS
demanding quarantine for all kinds of sicknesses

You all think this is cute to limit Christians' rights to assemble now, but realize when the immune suppressed get together in the next regular flu season, when 60K people die anyway, and say ALL big gathering should be limited because they spread germs, you have less and less of a leg to stand on.

I mean I know these things like individual rights and freedoms are sooooo 18th century. But you might want to free your mind a little bit.
You're giving Christians a bad name right now, Sue. All big gatherings ARE limited right now because they spread germs. It's not just Christians.

Are gatherings of more than ten people verboten or not? Concerts, sporting events, conventions? How is that "targeting" Christians? You might not have seen this post several pages back; there are alternative ways to worship right now. No one wants to stop you.
If I were a pastor, I wouldn't hold services in the church and put my parishoners at risk. I realize it's hard on people; if people ever needed their religion, it's now. But there are other ways: Some congregations are doing "drive in's" and others are doing services, readings, etc. on line. You can do Mass (well, you don't get the wafer) on EWTN. There are sermons on tv every Sunday where I live.

It's a First Amendment protected right. Sorry you don't like that people in this nation have rights. Actually I'm not really sorry; your opinion on the matter makes no difference to me whatsoever.

can ignore it)

This made me laugh. After about 7 PM I am absolutely a complete dingbat. Ask my family

Yes, Old Testament laws which can be broken up thusly: Moral, Civil, Ceremonial.

The ceremonial laws pertained to the tabernacle, which no longer exists so does not apply.

The civil laws pertained to living as a fairly nomadic Israeli tribe. Also does not apply.

The moral laws always apply.

It's a First Amendment protected right. Sorry you don't like that people in this nation have rights. Actually I'm not really sorry; your opinion on the matter makes no difference to me whatsoever.

And nobody is denying you this right. There is no requirement in the Bible for you to gather in large numbers twice on Sunday and once on Wednesday. You can worship your God from your house, in fact this is how the very first Christians did it.

Okay. No one is taking away your right to practice your religion. "Assembling" right now in large numbers is a serious health risk to the community if not to you personally. It is temporary and there are alternatives. The numbers of people infected and spreading this puppy are the only argument I need.

Okay. No one is taking away your right to practice your religion. "Assembling" right now in large numbers is a serious health risk to the community if not to you personally. It is temporary and there are alternatives. The numbers of people infected and spreading this puppy are the only argument I need.

The only argument needed is that there is no Biblical requirement to meet together in large numbers...in fact the New Testament has no such examples

My church is meeting virtually and not in person, and the elders are checking up on folks by phone. We will do a zoom prayer meeting soon. But if people want to meet in person they absolutely have that right, and I think this road we're going down of monitoring each other's every Constitutionally protected right because I'm Going To Die is really, really dangerous. Just behind the virus in danger, actually.

Whether or not these public gathering executive orders and stay at home orders from governors and mayors are Constitutional is a question that absolutely should be asked. It's times like these when the public is in a panic that gives elected officials the opportunities to seize power they typically wouldn't have and that's when the Constitution needs protected more than ever.
You are correct the constitution needs to be protected. I will count on your outrage when anyone abuses the emergency powers they temporarily enjoy no matter their party. There's going to come a time very soon when Trump is going to directly attack the election with his disaster powers. You know it, I know it, it is inevitable.
How can there be an election in this COVID-19 state of emergency?
:omg:
Trump is now your emperor for life due to COVID-19 scare.

Elections have to be suspended due to the seriousness of the situation.

rofl.gif
That doesn't keep Impeached Trump as president past January 20, 2021, when the Constitution says his term expires.

Any powers not enumerated therein belong to the states. That is what is happening; the governors of the states are exercising their Emergency Powers that were crafted into legislation at some point by their duly appointed representatives of the people. I don't know about anywhere else, but in Maine those Powers are limited to 90 days. To extend it requires the approval of the legislature by the 80th day.

Under the Fourteenth Amendment, as applied by the Supreme Court in various landmark rulings, the entire First Amendment is now incorporated under the Fourteenth, and all the rights enumerated therein protected even from the states.

In particular, freedom of religion is thus incorporated under Cantwell v. Connecticut, 310 U.S. 296 (1940), and freedom of assembly under DeJonge v. Oregon, 299 U.S. 353 (1937).

So no, the states do not now have the legitimate power to violate either of these rights, nor any of the other rights asserted in the First Amendment.

In fact, there are only a very few of the rights, out of the many affirmed throughout the Bill of Rights, that are not now incorporated under the Fourteenth Amendment.

A plague kills a full one third of the European population, and Dems don't consider it a serious event.

---Over the next five years, the Black Death would kill more than 20 million people in Europe—almost one-third of the continent’s population..---

You talkin' about this guy...?
Get this straight shit for brains.
I ain't no fucking Democrat or 'leftist'.
Why do you call non-Democrats, "Democrats?"

can ignore it)

Yes, Old Testament laws which can be broken up thusly: Moral, Civil, Ceremonial.

The ceremonial laws pertained to the tabernacle, which no longer exists so does not apply.

The civil laws pertained to living as a fairly nomadic Israeli tribe. Also does not apply.

The moral laws always apply.

Nope------you have a very restricted concept on what I just
called "biblical law" Expand your mind----the book called
EZRA is attributed to a person who lived about 2500 years ago.
I refer to that book as "BIBLICAL" and his overhaul of jewish
civil law as "BIBLICAL" It seems to me that you see the
biblical law as beginning and ending with Leviticus

Any powers not enumerated therein belong to the states. That is what is happening; the governors of the states are exercising their Emergency Powers that were crafted into legislation at some point by their duly appointed representatives of the people. I don't know about anywhere else, but in Maine those Powers are limited to 90 days. To extend it requires the approval of the legislature by the 80th day.

Under the Fourteenth Amendment, as applied by the Supreme Court in various landmark rulings, the entire First Amendment is now incorporated under the Fourteenth, and all the rights enumerated therein protected even from the states.

In particular, freedom of religion is thus incorporated under Cantwell v. Connecticut, 310 U.S. 296 (1940), and freedom of assembly under DeJonge v. Oregon, 299 U.S. 353 (1937).

So no, the states do not now have the legitimate power to violate either of these rights, nor any of the other rights asserted in the First Amendment.

In fact, there are only a very few of the rights, out of the many affirmed throughout the Bill of Rights, that are not now incorporated under the Fourteenth Amendment.

Every right has its limitations. There is freedom of speech yet it is not without limits. Nobody whines about not being allowed to yell fire in a crowded room or not being allowed to joke about having a bomb while on a plane.

We have the right to owns arms, yet even the most ardent do not whine about not being able to own nuclear weapons or chemical weapons.

Nobody is being denied the right to worship their deity, all that is limited is the manner...which was already in place. One could not kill someone and claim freedom of religion, one could not rape someone and claim it is part of your religion.

And nobody is denying you this right. There is no requirement in the Bible for you to gather in large numbers twice on Sunday and once on Wednesday. You can worship your God from your house, in fact this is how the very first Christians did it.

I'm no Christian but I am fairly certain that Jesus preferred you pray that way. (Matthew 6)

Forum List

Back