We had Turkey and Dressing today

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
The wife got up and fixed the turkey we had in the freezer for 6 months and fixed dressing and gravy to go with it. Her dressing is the best! And it was all good. We decided we weren't going to fix any more fancy holiday feasts because we are tired of them. It's too much work and all our kids have moved out of state except for my daughter and her convict gang banger hubby is not welcome here. Last thanksgiving my friend who helps out at the church that takes food to old people on TG offered to bring us a few dinners over so I said ok. It was ok but the wife didn't care for it. It did look like the kinda stuff they serve the convicts but it was ok. So we'll just barbecue or do something else.

If your going to strap on the feedbag, a turkey is pretty good bird to do it with... Reasonably priced also... Some folks are so anal that they can't eat the same thing 2 meals in a row which makes a turkey a poor choice... I never have been the type to piss and moan about what I am eating, just damn thankful I have something to eat...
Glad you enjoyed your bird...

th

th

th

I smoked a whole chicken, pork chops, and two hillshire sausage links, in my smoker for about four hours last Friday and have been eating that as the main course since. It's all great!!! Those hillshire sausage taste really great, smokey, and juicy, after spending some time in a smoker.

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

:)

• Banned
If your going to strap on the feedbag, a turkey is pretty good bird to do it with... Reasonably priced also... Some folks are so anal that they can't eat the same thing 2 meals in a row which makes a turkey a poor choice... I never have been the type to piss and moan about what I am eating, just damn thankful I have something to eat...
Glad you enjoyed your bird...
After 65 years of turkey and dressing every holiday we are stopping.

th

My wife asked if I wanted turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas right after we were married or would I prefer ham on one of the two.

I wanted something different than most other people altogether.

So on Thanksgiving we have turkey and on Christmas we've had duck ever since.

Easter is ham.

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

:)

I do Turkey a few times a year. I just get a breast, smoke it and make a cranberry bbq sauce for it.
Can't seem to get tired of it lol

The wife got up and fixed the turkey we had in the freezer for 6 months and fixed dressing and gravy to go with it. Her dressing is the best! And it was all good. We decided we weren't going to fix any more fancy holiday feasts because we are tired of them. It's too much work and all our kids have moved out of state except for my daughter and her convict gang banger hubby is not welcome here. Last thanksgiving my friend who helps out at the church that takes food to old people on TG offered to bring us a few dinners over so I said ok. It was ok but the wife didn't care for it. It did look like the kinda stuff they serve the convicts but it was ok. So we'll just barbecue or do something else.
During the holiday sales of Turkey I always get two small/medium birds to smoke the next summer. Smoked turkey is the bestest.

Ah turkey!

In my family I cook the turkeys for festive occasions because I feel they're intended to be special and not to impose a lot of work on the ladies. They love it.

But for over a year we were "off" turkey entirely. Because the previous year we had worked with a volunteer group that "fed" all the workers. At the time turkey was the least expensive protein that could feed a large group. We had turkey at least three times a week.

Came Thanksgiving just after that year.....

I cooked "Mexican".

My sister (God rest her) choked it down but would never come back for a holiday meal.

All it took to have turkey suddenly become desirable was for me to offer to cook Mexican.

Doing it right takes time because the stuffing (some call it "dressing"...a regional thing, I guess) involves chopped giblets, precooked ground beef, precooked sausage, a little salt, a lot of pepper, sage (or commercial "poultry seasoning), chopped onions and celery, (OK, canned) mushroom slices and a moderate quantity of sliced water chestnuts (for the crunch). The whole thing roasted under a new (and well washed) white dish towel saturated with melted butter. Do it right and you can lift off the baked dish towel and use it as a mold to make a plaster-of-Paris turkey which, properly painted, you can donate to your liberal neighbors for their Thanksgiving. Since they regard that as a sort of penance they're glad to have such an appropriate feast! Besides, free is GOOD!

Last year after Christmas day our grocery store was selling fresh 20 pound free range organic turkeys that had been priced $130 for $20. We bought five.
We gave away four to the food bank.

Earlier today I trotted out the old 6.00x16 inner tube; the 1/2 bushel basket and the dump rake with the chicken-wire basket and went for a dip.

Didn't take long to get a couple of quarts of quahogs. Some little necks (that's why there's a rock in the basket - to break 'em open and eat 'em alive). Mostly big old bulls. Gonna boil 'em up and take the scissors to them. Bust up some common crackers, mix in about 1/2 bottle of Star Brand crushed red peppers (the kind with the seeds and juice in the jar), a little salt and the minced quahogs. Get it pretty thick, like turkey stuffing, pack it back in the shells and tie them shut with butcher's string and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Best with beer.

Very cold beer.

When you got good stuffers you don' need no stinkin' turkey!

Besides: Stuffers don't got no feathers to stick in your teeth.

Forum List

Back