We Don't Need No Giant Whirlybird Fans

At at cost of $50 million, the Lithium Ion battery farm can store enough energy to power about 30,000 homes for a little over an hour. To date, the longest it's ever supplied power to the grid is 38 minutes.

I'm not an astronomer, but I'm almost certain most nights are longer than an hour ... even in Australia.

P.S. ... 30,000 homes represents a population of 75,000 people ... 25,000 fewer than America's 311th largest town, Vacaville, at 100,000 persons. How much should the good citizens of Vacaville be asked to pay for a whole hour of electricity after the sun goes down?
Well, I suppose not reading anything about what is actually happening is one way to remain happily ignorant.
OH great. So in 7 years everyone has huge batteries that need disposal and you're stuck buying a replacement for $$$$$$
Really? Ever hear the term recycling? And the 100 MW/Hr battery in Australia will have payed for itself in less than a year. So if they operate it for seven years, they will be able to afford a 600 MW/Hr battery. And have the profit from the metals recovered from the old batteries.
Ever hear who pays for it?

Turn in your car battery and let me know what you pay to replace it.
LOL A business about 4 miles from me has a sign up, cash for old car batteries. So I guess they pay for those batteries.

At at cost of $50 million, the Lithium Ion battery farm can store enough energy to power about 30,000 homes for a little over an hour. To date, the longest it's ever supplied power to the grid is 38 minutes.

I'm not an astronomer, but I'm almost certain most nights are longer than an hour ... even in Australia.

P.S. ... 30,000 homes represents a population of 75,000 people ... 25,000 fewer than America's 311th largest town, Vacaville, at 100,000 persons. How much should the good citizens of Vacaville be asked to pay for a whole hour of electricity after the sun goes down?
I guess not reading anything is a perfect way to maintain one's blissful state of ignorance.

How Tesla's big battery is bringing Australia’s gas cartel to heel

On Sunday 14 January something very unusual happened.

The Australian Energy Market Operator called – as it often does – for generators in South Australia to provide a modest amount of network services known as FCAS, or frequency control and ancillary services.

This time, though, the market price did not go into orbit and the credit must go to the newly installed Tesla big battery and the neighbouring Hornsdale windfarm.

The call for 35MW of FCAS – usually made when there is planned maintenance or a system fault on the interconnector between Victoria and South Australia – has become a running joke in the electricity market, and a costly one for consumers.

The big gas generators – even though they have 10 times more capacity than is required – have systematically rorted the situation, sometimes charging up to $7m a day for a service that normally comes at one-tenth of the price.

(You can read reports on how they do it here, here and here, and for a more detailed explanation at the bottom of this story.)

The difference in January was that there is a new player in the market: Tesla. The company’s big battery, officially known as the Hornsdale Power Reserve, bid into the market to ensure that prices stayed reasonable, as predicted last year.

Rather than jumping up to prices of around $11,500 and $14,000/MW, the bidding of the Tesla big battery – and, in a major new development, the adjoining Hornsdale windfarm – helped (after an initial spike) to keep them at around $270/MW.

Advertisement
This saved several million dollars in FCAS charges, which are paid by other generators and big energyusers, in a single day

"South Australian taxpayers will spend up to $50 million subsidising the 100-megawatt battery.

In return, the SA Government will have access to some of the battery's output to provide stability services to the grid.

The Government will also have the right to tap the battery's full output to prevent load shedding blackouts if supply runs low this summer.

Load shedding happens when the market operator (AEMO) directs power providers to switch off supply to some customers to protect the grid.

The new battery will produce enough energy to power about 30,000 homes for a little over an hour."

World's most powerful lithium ion battery finished in SA

Well, I suppose not reading anything about what is actually happening is one way to remain happily ignorant.
OH great. So in 7 years everyone has huge batteries that need disposal and you're stuck buying a replacement for $$$$$$
Really? Ever hear the term recycling? And the 100 MW/Hr battery in Australia will have payed for itself in less than a year. So if they operate it for seven years, they will be able to afford a 600 MW/Hr battery. And have the profit from the metals recovered from the old batteries.

LOL A business about 4 miles from me has a sign up, cash for old car batteries. So I guess they pay for those batteries.
Yeah, that $10 they give you will cover your costs!

What's the true cost of a home battery without subsidies? $10k? $15K?

"South Australian taxpayers will spend up to $50 million subsidising the 100-megawatt battery.

In return, the SA Government will have access to some of the battery's output to provide stability services to the grid.

The Government will also have the right to tap the battery's full output to prevent load shedding blackouts if supply runs low this summer.

Load shedding happens when the market operator (AEMO) directs power providers to switch off supply to some customers to protect the grid.

The new battery will produce enough energy to power about 30,000 homes for a little over an hour."

That's exactly it. Taxpayers will pay to get everything installed, then in 10 years when everything needs replacing the government will say sorry, you foot the bill. PS, our law says you must replace it, so what if you can't afford it.

You repeat yourself and make yourself look twice as stupid. That was not the intent of the battery, to provide continuous power to 30,000 homes. It's purpose was and is to stabilize the grid and avoid the high costs of the gas generators. Which it has done magnificently.

You repeat yourself and make yourself look twice as stupid. That was not the intent of the battery, to provide continuous power to 30,000 homes. It's purpose was and is to stabilize the grid and avoid the high costs of the gas generators. Which it has done magnificently.
South Aussieland with long sunny days is one thing, wind is another.

Britain’s gone nine days with almost no wind generation, and forecasts show the calm conditions persisting for another two weeks.

The wind drought has pushed up day-ahead power prices to the highest level for the time of year for at least a decade. Apart from a surge expected around June 14, wind levels are forecast to stay low for the next fortnight, according to The Weather Company.

Prolonged Wind Drought Crushes British Turbine Output

Days without wind.
Days without sun.

And you're back in the Stone Age if the envirowhackos get their way.
You know they have backup systems right?

You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

How much does the Tesla Powerwall cost?
tesla-numbers-graphic.png

The list price for a new Tesla Powerwall 2.0 battery, which offers twice the storage capacity of the original Powerwall, is $5,900. Supporting hardware adds another $700 to the equipment costs, bringing the total to $6,600. Installation can add anywhere from $2,000 to $8,000 to the final bill.

Tesla Powerwall: What Buyers Need to Know in 2018 | EnergySage

That's exactly it. Taxpayers will pay to get everything installed, then in 10 years when everything needs replacing the government will say sorry, you foot the bill. PS, our law says you must replace it, so what if you can't afford it.
Oh my, now we are so desperate to put thumbs down that we are making things up. LOL

Silly ass, the $10 they give you is that much less you pay for a new battery. After all, if you don't think the battery is worth it, install a crank on the front of your engine.

Silly ass, the $10 they give you is that much less you pay for a new battery. After all, if you don't think the battery is worth it, install a crank on the front of your engine.
Oh boy, I get to pay $29,990 every ten years for a stinking battery that will likely explode into flames and burn my home down!

Forum List

Back