We can learn from the Spanish Flu in dealing with COVID-19

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
The Spanish Flu is very similar to COVID-19. We relied on herd immunity to mitigate the Spanish Flu. The mortality rate was .0065 of a population of 103 million people in 1918. 675,000 people died in the USA of the Spanish Flu.
We could depend on herd immunity for COVID. The mortality rate should be close to the same for the Spanish Flu and COVID-19.
Based on today's US population it is estimated that 2,145,000 Americans would die by the time herd immunity took care of COVID-19.
With 80% or more American get vaccinated we could save over 1,000,000 American lives.
One of those lives saved could be your mother, your brother or your child.
Do not be scared. Get vaccinated and help save American lives.

I keep reading that the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was more like 2% or slightly higher. Is this incorrect?

The Spanish Flu is very similar to COVID-19. We relied on herd immunity to mitigate the Spanish Flu. The mortality rate was .0065 of a population of 103 million people in 1918. 675,000 people died in the USA of the Spanish Flu.
We could depend on herd immunity for COVID. The mortality rate should be close to the same for the Spanish Flu and COVID-19.
Based on today's US population it is estimated that 2,145,000 Americans would die by the time herd immunity took care of COVID-19.
With 80% or more American get vaccinated we could save over 1,000,000 American lives.
Good for you. Glad you got vaccinated. Now go look for validation somewhere else and stay out of my life. I am one of those fathers that you mentioned and I have had covid. I am not concerned.

Good for you. Glad you got vaccinated. Now go look for validation somewhere else and stay out of my life. I am one of those fathers that you mentioned and I have had covid. I am not concerned.

yeah congrats on taking the poison. we all now know you wont be posting here a few years from now.

The Spanish flu was nothing like COVID, the most at risk people for the Spanish Flu were the most healthy, because they believe the biggest factor was an over-response of the immune system to the bug, and younger people had the best immune systems.

Not sure how much we could learn from the Spanish Flu, as the nations response to it was pretty terrible. Me? I trust what most of the doctors are saying about COVID right now, as we have much better equipment for detection, better vaccines, and the government is behind support for eradicating the virus. Responses back then? Not so much.

Me? I've already had my first shot of the MODERNA vaccine, and am getting ready for my second shot at the end of this month. I will continue to wear a mask for at least 2-3 weeks after I get my second shot. And no, I don't think a mask is an infringement on my rights.

JC. That flu was way different. LOL. It killed more people under 50 than over 50.

People with strong immune systems suffered the greatest, as their systems really over reacted.

What are you even talking about??

The Spanish flu was nothing like COVID, the most at risk people for the Spanish Flu were the most healthy, because they believe the biggest factor was an over-response of the immune system to the bug, and younger people had the best immune systems.
Shit bro. Exactly. We would have been fucked with the 19 flu.

There was no vaccine back then so why are you comparing this stuff.

Shouldn't you ask a mod to delete this dog to save you from future hassles

A lot of people around me got vaccinated, but no one answered them if they might or not be contagious?

The Spanish Flu was an actual pandemic with both high rate of infection and great lethality. For whatever reason the Chinese Flu is mostly hype with wildly inflated and/or imaginary figures coming from MSM and previously respected organizations to their discredit. Going by questionable claims almost everybody who died in 2021 died from COVID. I don't buy it.
---------------------
The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus.

A lot of people around me got vaccinated, but no one answered them if they might or not be contagious?
well dalia those people you know,same as the op wont be around a few years from now,it is the vaccine that is dangerous not the virus.

well dalia those people you know,same as the op wont be around a few years from now,it is the vaccine that is dangerous not the virus.
Can you explain to me why you say they will be dead in a few years? and I don't intend to get vaccinated

I keep reading that the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was more like 2% or slightly higher. Is this incorrect?
I think you are correct on the mortality rate for those who caught the Spanish Flu. I took deaths per capita. That includes, everybody, whether they caught the flu or not.

First, anti-bodies from having COVID are not as good as the vaccines. And you are putting the rest of your family, friends and Americans at greater risk. Thanks, asshole.

Not sure how much we could learn from the Spanish Flu, as the nations response to it was pretty terrible. Me? I trust what most of the doctors are saying about COVID right now, as we have much better equipment for detection, better vaccines, and the government is behind support for eradicating the virus. Responses back then? Not so much.

Me? I've already had my first shot of the MODERNA vaccine, and am getting ready for my second shot at the end of this month. I will continue to wear a mask for at least 2-3 weeks after I get my second shot. And no, I don't think a mask is an infringement on my rights.
I agree that we are in a much better place now than in 1918. But there are idiots that are not taking advantage of the advances, mainly the vaccine. Those individuals put us all at greater risk. If all people were like the ant-vaxers we would be close to 1918 conditions.

Moderna ands Pfizer are messenger vaccines. They keep the virus from replicating in your body and making you very sick or dead.

We don't know yet if they will keep you from getting infected and spreading the virus. Do you understand the difference?

The J&J vaccine is made from the vaccine (I believe) and likely gives old fashioned immunity from infection

JC. That flu was way different. LOL. It killed more people under 50 than over 50.

People with strong immune systems suffered the greatest, as their systems really over reacted.

What are you even talking about??
The comparisons are on overall mortality and how herd immunity could work out if all people were as stupid as those who are not getting the vaccinations.

Can you explain to me why you say they will be dead in a few years? and I don't intend to get vaccinated
"I don't intend to get vaccinated"

Why?

Shit bro. Exactly. We would have been fucked with the 19 flu.

Actually if it was the 1919 flu people would have accepted hard quarantines much easier, and it would be more viable due to the higher mortality rate.

Forum List

Back