"We ate potatoes every day...."

My parents said they didn't notice the depression much.......because they grew their own food.....milked the cows.......got the eggs from the chickens everyday anyway............They said it was just another day like always...............

Of course til the world went to War.

Great depression meals.

My father grew up farming during the depression. A potato farm..lol......150 acres. Farming was a god way to live back then, unless you lived in the Dust Bowl. His old man could make anything. Sold a lot of stuff. His specialty was beef and deer jerky and some of the best tasting beer that would knock you on your ass. Lol

Great depression meals.

My father grew up farming during the depression. A potato farm..lol......150 acres. Farming was a god way to live back then, unless you lived in the Dust Bowl. His old man could make anything. Sold a lot of stuff. His specialty was beef and deer jerky and some of the best tasting beer that would knock you on your ass. Lol

My dad made the best dang potato pancakes I ever had...........they were awesome.

I'm trying to thunk what I have growing in my garden to go with potatoes...

Garlic, thyme, basil, chives, tomatoes, cilantro, & 3 kinds of hot peppers.
I always have herbs around.
1593128535819.png

1593128346411.png

My parents said they didn't notice the depression much.......because they grew their own food.....milked the cows.......got the eggs from the chickens everyday anyway............They said it was just another day like always...............

Of course til the world went to War.
Same with my parents. They were poor but were on farms so had all they could eat and they ate well.

My mum and Nan were excellent "depression cooks" and we got a very balanced diet as kids. THEY lived near the Victoria Markets in North Melbourne(always first priority is finding a good vege supply) and had a fantastic supply of cheap veges and meat; especially lamb. I still cook an "Irish Stew" with celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, green beans and any of the root vegetables in season. Salt and pepper. Add the offcuts of lamb (or mutton) and slow boil for two hours in a big pot stirring about every ten minutes. Don't let the water get too low. Add a mix of cornflower and water at the end and boil on for a short time to thicken. (Amount of cornflower is quite small; start off small...a good teaspoon.....and add more until it thickens up if still too watery...trial and error thingy).

Then serve the family of ten.

Bon appetite ...................lol

ps: there is a layered version as well which is baked.

Greg

If you ever travel the Lincoln Highway there are places where you can pull off of the road to sleep or rest.....this is because the towns are few and far between....the Lincoln Highway is the loneliest road in America...at these rest stops you will find endless amounts of rusty tin cans and pieces of cans all over the place....
Those cans were what the great depression west travelers ate...beans and corn...peas and canned meat...if you were lucky....the piles of empty cans would resemble small hills and they never cleaned them up....the cans are still there spread out all over the place.....

My Dad always told the story that the only assistance that his family took during the depression was a Quart Mason Jar full of flour... Apparently my saintly grandmother accepted the flour from the mailman but insisted he take some salt pork in exchange... Dad said if Grandpa had found out he would have thrown a fit... He said he didn't need any help from the damn government to take care of his family, 3 young boys and a wife... They lived on 40 acres in Effingham County, Illinois...

I'm a child of the 60s and 70s. Most evening meals consisted of potatoes, pinto beans, and corn bread. Dad was good growing a garden, so we also had corn, squash, green beans, tomatoes, etc.

Forum List

Back