Water from the bathtub to the garden?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Scoop into larger bucket, kill yer backbone to get larger bucket outside? Pump like for a pond but it draws from the tub to outside and will it be powerful enough since the tubing has to go over the edge of the tub, snake along floor to outside? Turkey baster to get water INTO the hose then let gravity take over..hopefully?

How about taking a shower while standing in a brand new 50 gallon rubber or metal trash can? But then how do you get OUT of it? Or...just use plug in tub, take shower, then bail out the water into a bucket on rollers?

I want to save water and use it in my garden instead of it going down the drain. Any ideas? My bathtub is floor level (bottom part) and not far to outside..maybe 10 feet. I don't think the pump thing will work due to that. So I might hafta do the bail and haul thing. Unless someone comes up with a different brainstorm.

Scoop into larger bucket, kill back to get larger bucket outside? Pump like for a pond but it draws from the tub to outside and will it be powerful enough since the tubing has to go over the edge of the tub, snake along floor to outside? Turkey baster to get water INTO the hose then let gravity take over..hopefully?

How about taking a shower while standing in a brand new 50 gallon rubber or metal trash can? But then how do you get OUT of it? Or...just use plug in tub, take shower, then bail out the water into a bucket on rollers?

I want to save water and use it in my garden instead of it going down the drain. Any ideas? My bathtub is floor level (bottom part) and not far to outside..maybe 10 feet. I don't think the pump thing will work due to that. So I might hafta do the bail and haul thing. Unless someone comes up with a different brainstorm.
Here's how it works off-grid...cold water from the creek is used to cool the milk, that water (warmed) is used to water the stock. We do treat for giardia because we know it's present in the water. Bleach or iodine usually does the trick. Excess water is routed to the garden.

Scoop into larger bucket, kill yer backbone to get larger bucket outside? Pump like for a pond but it draws from the tub to outside and will it be powerful enough since the tubing has to go over the edge of the tub, snake along floor to outside? Turkey baster to get water INTO the hose then let gravity take over..hopefully?

Shower in the garden, using the hose.

Shower in the garden, using the hose.
I would if I was in Maui. Too damn cold out there to do it on these old bones.

I got two standard 5 gallon buckets to use under the shower while waiting for it to get hot. No wasting water that way. Once it gets hot, I will put the plug in and shower that way. When done, I will bail the water into the two 5 gallon buckets. I have more of them out in the shed.I will put the other two in the roommates bathroom.

So your tub is below ground level?
It is level with the ground, not below the ground. Wish I had a clawfoot tub. Not due to height..but due to SIZE. I miss big bathtubs.
You need to just run the drain outside then. 10 feet isn't that far to go.
With a garden hose? Or some kind of flexible tubing? If I knew gravity would do it, I could make the water go outside into a barrel or 50 gallon trash can, scoop water for plants when needed. Like a rain catcher thing. But how to get it from the tub, over the tub, out the door, up the side of the trash can INTO the trash can?

When I was dishes, I use Dawn on a wet sponge. Then I scrub the dishes with no water except the sponge, stack them in the next sink. Then I rinse in that sink with dribbling water, put dishes away. Water that collected in the rinsing goes in the plants out front via a big 'sghetti pot.

But the bathtub has me scratching a bald spot on my head.

It is level with the ground, not below the ground. Wish I had a clawfoot tub. Not due to height..but due to SIZE. I miss big bathtubs.
With a garden hose? Or some kind of flexible tubing? If I knew gravity would do it, I could make the water go outside into a barrel or 50 gallon trash can, scoop water for plants when needed. Like a rain catcher thing. But how to get it from the tub, over the tub, out the door, up the side of the trash can INTO the trash can?
Not over the tub. Under it. Just cut the sewer line and redirect it outside all by itself. You will want to plug the old line going to the sewer because the gas will make you puke. But for the tub just run it outside the house all by itself. Bury a 55 gallon drum outside and run the pipe there to fill it. Then you can either run other pipes to the garden itself or scoop out what you need. A drum would be good to have though so you can skim off the soap floating on the top and get rid of it.

Love using grey water. When I lived outside Tucson, our washer was connected to a large hose that I could move from tree to tree. We could almost hear those trees grow.

The hose I had to use was the kind used on swimming pools and very expensive. The hose didn't last very long in the AZ sun so we had to replace it fairly often.

Not over the tub. Under it. Just cut the sewer line and redirect it outside all by itself. You will want to plug the old line going to the sewer because the gas will make you puke. But for the tub just run it outside the house all by itself. Bury a 55 gallon drum outside and run the pipe there to fill it. Then you can either run other pipes to the garden itself or scoop out what you need. A drum would be good to have though so you can skim off the soap floating on the top and get rid of it.
Hmm. Will have to explore that with hubby and the house owner.

Love using grey water. When I lived outside Tucson, our washer was connected to a large hose that I could move from tree to tree. We could almost hear those trees grow.

The hose I had to use was the kind used on swimming pools and very expensive. The hose didn't last very long in the AZ sun so we had to replace it fairly often.
When I was a kid just outside Tucson in Oracle my dad ran the washing machine line out and we planted water melons in the run off. They turned out pretty dang good.

Put a hose type faucet in the tub.

Run the hose to the garden, start it with water then let it siphon the tub.

Water was so expensive in Texas we ran all the waste water to the garden.

You've heard of bathtub gin, we grew bathwater weed.

We had a grey water system at the apartments we had...in the laundry room. It ran out into the yard next to the parking spaces or into the field next door. But that was years ago.

I cut my lawn in half...so not so much grass to take care of. We can water 2 times a week. I will use hose water for the veggies I have growing. The bath water is for all the plants I dug up and put in pots...and the lawn.

I'm not too worried about soapy residue from the bath water hurting plants. I use natural cleansers...apple cider vinegar mixed with water...and not soap. Our skin is getting too sensitive now for it, so we opted out. Only thing to worry about is the special shampoo I use for dandruff and psoriasis spots so I will wash my hair in the sink instead. Less water used.

We had a grey water system at the apartments we had...in the laundry room. It ran out into the yard next to the parking spaces or into the field next door. But that was years ago.

I cut my lawn in half...so not so much grass to take care of. We can water 2 times a week. I will use hose water for the veggies I have growing. The bath water is for all the plants I dug up and put in pots...and the lawn.
All mine goes into a line of pear trees.

No use wasting it.

I have wells for the watermelons and cantaloupes.

I have your answer. Get a submersible pump they are about 80 bucks and very easy to use. I used one when I needed to drain out my little fish pond. You probably want to have some sort of resovoir and treat the soapy water before putting on your plants.

Forum List

Back