Watch: Farmers May Have Figured Out Exactly What's Causing the Egg Shortage - Was This Intentional?

RhodyPatriot

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2022
If the last three years have taught me anything, it's to never write something off without careful examination.

According to a rash of posts making the rounds on social media, something more sinister might be to blame for the lack of supply. Last week, a young man, possibly a farmer, claimed in a Facebook post: “Ok so something really weird is going on, I have called multiple farms that sell chickens and they are all telling me that their chickens have stopped laying eggs and therefore they do not have any for sale. I looked into it a little further and apparently they are putting something in the feed to stop them from being able to lay eggs! If you have chickens and are having the same thing happen try to start feeding them a rice and pinto bean mix because it seems anything made as feed is being tainted with something that is causing this!”

In the Twitter post below, a woman who has raised chickens for over 30 years said she has never gone without eggs. But from Halloween until a week ago, her chickens produced just a single egg. After switching from chicken feed to goat feed, they began to lay eggs again.

Another Twitter user said her chickens stopped laying eggs between last summer and last fall. She purchased higher quality feed from a local supplier and they began producing eggs again.

In a TikTok video, a young woman said her hens had stopped laying eggs. One day, because they had a lot of leftovers, they served their chickens table scraps. The next day, they began laying eggs. She blamed it on the commercial feed.

The sudden immolation of grain silos and factory farms, the push for us to eat bugs, the climate crusaders quest to rid us of carbon footprints - and now this.

Whether it's true or not, at the very least, it's a genuine cause for concern.

Welly welly well.

There's a hell of a coincidence:

Multiple local reports cited the Salvation Army that around 100,000 chickens were killed

Hhhmmm.

If the last three years have taught me anything, it's to never write something off without careful examination.

According to a rash of posts making the rounds on social media, something more sinister might be to blame for the lack of supply. Last week, a young man, possibly a farmer, claimed in a Facebook post: “Ok so something really weird is going on, I have called multiple farms that sell chickens and they are all telling me that their chickens have stopped laying eggs and therefore they do not have any for sale. I looked into it a little further and apparently they are putting something in the feed to stop them from being able to lay eggs! If you have chickens and are having the same thing happen try to start feeding them a rice and pinto bean mix because it seems anything made as feed is being tainted with something that is causing this!”

In the Twitter post below, a woman who has raised chickens for over 30 years said she has never gone without eggs. But from Halloween until a week ago, her chickens produced just a single egg. After switching from chicken feed to goat feed, they began to lay eggs again.

Another Twitter user said her chickens stopped laying eggs between last summer and last fall. She purchased higher quality feed from a local supplier and they began producing eggs again.

In a TikTok video, a young woman said her hens had stopped laying eggs. One day, because they had a lot of leftovers, they served their chickens table scraps. The next day, they began laying eggs. She blamed it on the commercial feed.

The sudden immolation of grain silos and factory farms, the push for us to eat bugs, the climate crusaders quest to rid us of carbon footprints - and now this.

Whether it's true or not, at the very least, it's a genuine cause for concern.
Our chickens never lay eggs in cold weather. We kept the heaters on, but nothing doing with our dear hens. Lately they've been making up for lost time.

Oh, I am getting some Reds this year. Have not bought more than 1 dozen eggs in 3 months. I'm sure the money

from doing that will more than cover more the cost of 12 Red chicks and some feed.

Especially @ $3+/doz.

I'm going to supply everyone in my little circle with eggs. Yes I am.

If you know someone who can do testing, take a bag of feed or two and have it tested to see what is in it.. Find someone you trust to do the testing.
no-time-busy.gif

I'm leary of the damn chick food. What if that's what they put the Buddha Dean in?

There's some Buddha Dean in there somewhere fo sho'!

My chicks might die, but I doubt they'll ever eat anything "Purina".

Oh, I do know somebody qualified to test feed (chemically analyze it) ; I also don't feel it would be OK to bother him, her, or the other dude with that.

Last edited:
Chickens always cut back laying in winter.

Ground feed is highly susceptible to aflatoxin that harms livestock. The big feed & egg producers should be testing for toxins. This is nothing new. General population just freak out when they discover things they didn't know or don't understand.

Chickens always cut back laying in winter.

Ground feed is highly susceptible to aflatoxin that harms livestock. The big feed & egg producers should be testing for toxins. This is nothing new. General population just freak out when they discover things they didn't know or don't understand.
I can't recall chicken feed ever being bad in the past. We used to feed ducks and swans and geese with it.

Last edited:
Well damn! What are they making stuff like that to feed to teh birdies for?

I'd think: 1st step to making commercial birdie food..

Step 1: make sure it doesn't kill all teh birdies..

Yeah, start there. That's a good start, and then there's nutrition.
Every so often these toxins infect the grain in the fields. At times these grains get into the feed production stream & the animals that eat it stop producing & get sick.

The soils have been depleted of nutrients. Most of our foods are nutrient deficient because farmers have raped the soils. Unhealthy soils = unhealthy plants & livestock = unhealthy human population. Manure needs to get spread back on the fields like the old days.

Forum List

Back