Watch an Elk Hunter Fire Multiple Shots at a Charging Mountain Lion in Idaho

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty''''

An elk hunter got more than he bargained for last Saturday, October 9 when a mature mountain lion approached and charged him. The incident occurred during an early-season rifle hunt in southeast Idaho. In a remarkable video captured by the hunter on his cell phone and later shared by the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF), John C. Erickson yells "get back" at the advancing mountain lion before firing multiple rounds from his .40 caliber Glock 27. His bullets appear to hit just inches above the predator's head and back.
In the moments leading up to Erickson's shots, the lion has its ears down, a posture that wildlife experts say is a sure sign of aggression. "If the mountain lion is less than 50 yards away, has its ears laid back, and is staring intensely at you or moves into hiding without any signs of leaving, an attack may occur at any time," according to Hunter-ed.com. In the event of this type of encounter, the hunter-education organization says that hunters should "prepare to defend [themselves] using anything available as a weapon."
Erickson followed that advice to a T and managed to walk away from the ordeal unscathed. "That video was about the last half of our encounter," he told Field & Stream. "The mountain lion had been stalking me for about 30 to 45 seconds before I got my phone out. That was my first confrontation with a predator."

Amazingly, his first shot didn't deter the bold cat. After the bullet zips over its head and kicks up a cloud of dust, the lion pauses briefly only to continue on in the hunter's direction. It's not until Erickson takes a second shot, again missing over the top of the cat, that the animal decides that it's had enough. As it saunters off, Erickson lets out an audible sigh of relief.

It might be wise to not go into places where dangerous animals live armed only with a cell phone and its camera.

Last edited:
Have you seen the vid with the hiker?
This guy had to be shitting his pants and he didnt have a gun.

I don’t have any idea if this would work but I did notice lots of rocks in the trail. I would have tried throwing a couple at the cougar. I also always have a knife or machete with me and usually a .357 revolver.

I don’t have any idea if this would work but I did notice lots of rocks in the trail. I would have tried throwing a couple at the cougar. I also always have a knife or machete with me and usually a .357 revolver.

I thought of that as well.
Bending over to pick up a rock just might make the cat attack since you look much smaller when crouched down.
If I remember correctly the cat had some kittens she was protecting.
No way would I be out there without a firearm.

The scariest encounter I've ever experienced in the wild....
The Wife and I were visiting relatives in BC and they have a lake house on lake Okanogan. We took the rowboat out and crossed the lake.That side is a national park so there's no houses. We were rowing down the shoreline and rounded a huge boulder only to come face to face with a couple of bear cubs,we were within 15 feet of them......and there was momma bear 10 feet behind them.
At first you're awe struck and then the realization sets in that you're awful close to those cubs and momma bear is up on her hind legs looking at you.
I could've pulled a skier with that row boat.
My canadian relatives didnt believe us but we did manage to get a few pics once we were at a safe distance but the bears had took off up the mountain side and all you could make out were black dots.
This was before digital cameras so we took the film to be developed right then and there.
Even with the shitty pics they believed us then.

Forum List

Back