Wasteful water heaters.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
"Standby" heat losses from water heaters cost Americans $2Billion each year. This doesn't include wasteful use of hot water, which is certainly many times more. This is an area where energy can be saved.

The hot water tank I have will be the last I plan on installing a tankless water heater and bidet in the future.
Hope the water isn't too hard in your region. Tankless water heaters have a nasty habit of plugging up with minerals (expensive repair). Our water is very hard, few have tankless because of this.

"Standby" heat losses from water heaters cost Americans $2Billion each year. This doesn't include wasteful use of hot water, which is certainly many times more. This is an area where energy can be saved.
My water bill is not because of my water heater with just the two of us. It is well insulated, set in the midrange and very efficient for our needs. Mine was a pin hole spray from a copper line underneath the slab going to one of the outside faucets. We could hear a spray, but saw no water or moiture anywhere. I knew the water bill had to be getting higher, but had not bothered to look at the bills, as they come directly automatically out of a checking account, and I was not missing it. I opened one of the bills, looked and thought "oh crap"! I had gone from 3,900 gallons last year in February to 17,600 this February and the waste water bill rising by dollar amount even worse even worse than the water bill.
It could not be effectively/efficiently sleeved as it went through multiple junctions and 90 deg angels, so they went into a wall in two places (once near the sound and again near the junction) and I now have one less outside faucet on the far end of the house. I doubt I will even have to buy another 50 ft hose to service the law on that end.

My water bill is not because of my water heater with just the two of us. It is well insulated, set in the midrange and very efficient for our needs. Mine was a pin hole spray from a copper line underneath the slab going to one of the outside faucets. We could hear a spray, but saw no water or moiture anywhere. I knew the water bill had to be getting higher, but had not bothered to look at the bills, as they come directly automatically out of a checking account, and I was not missing it. I opened one of the bills, looked and thought "oh crap"! I had gone from 3,900 gallons last year in February to 17,600 this February and the waste water bill rising by dollar amount even worse even worse than the water bill.
It could not be effectively/efficiently sleeved as it went through multiple junctions and 90 deg angels, so they went into a wall in two places (once near the sound and again near the junction) and I now have one less outside faucet on the far end of the house. I doubt I will even have to buy another 50 ft hose to service the law on that end.
Bummer. :(

Hope the water isn't too hard in your region. Tankless water heaters have a nasty habit of plugging up with minerals (expensive repair). Our water is very hard, few have tankless because of this.

I love our tankless water heaters!!
We've had them for 16 years now and other than a few problems in the beginning caused by to small gas lines and having the electronic controllers in the attic getting to cold and cutting out they've been great.
We had larger lines installed and moved the the controls to the garage and zero problems since.
It's nice being able to take extra long hot showers without fear of running out of hot water.

My water is very hard too, I have had a Navea tankless since 2018 and have not had a single problem. Love it, too.

The hot water tank I have will be the last I plan on installing a tankless water heater and bidet in the future.
The bidet is a godsend...
Why we didn't have them earlier on in American culture it's truly perplexing to me. Years ago some friends from Europe visited and were horrified to discover that my bathroom did not have that particular fixture.

Jo

You can run a y split on the feed with an inspirator to a sodium hydroxide feed. It mitigates the Earth salts both calcium and magnesium based. Sodium hydroxide is pretty cheap and 10 lbs will last you for months. Just don't try drinking it.
jo

The bidet is a godsend...
Why we didn't have them earlier on in American culture it's truly perplexing to me. Years ago some friends from Europe visited and were horrified to discover that my bathroom did not have that particular fixture.

Jo
What with the cost of shit tickets it's a good investment.

Touch my water heater and I will cut off your hand, and help you eat it, fingernails and all.. And i am calling you out as a liar that Americans spend 2 billion dollars a year to heat water. A bold face liar. Touch my furnace and it will be your entire arm. Touch my gas meter and it will be everything above your neck.

And i am calling you out as a liar that Americans spend 2 billion dollars a year to heat water. A bold face liar.
I wasn't lying, I just underestimated. :(

Actual:
129,000,000 households X average annual cost of $438 to heat water.

Standby losses are calculated at around 25 percent.

This doesn't include millions of businesses that also have water heaters.

:)

Last edited:
Sources for above post.

Correction. Annual costs run from $212/gas to $438/electric.

Last edited:
Touch my water heater and I will cut off your hand, and help you eat it, fingernails and all.. And i am calling you out as a liar that Americans spend 2 billion dollars a year to heat water. A bold face liar. Touch my furnace and it will be your entire arm. Touch my gas meter and it will be everything above your neck.
You need 30 days observation.

Forum List

Back