Washington Post calls for term limits for Supreme Court justices

Then they should impose term limits on Congress too which is a lot easier to do since a law is all is needed, for SCOTUS you need a new amendment to do that.
But who makes those laws? How many people do you know that would voluntarily decide to throw themselves out of a good job?

You may have unessentially exposed what they truly are, they treat it as a job and make a lot of money out of it.
What does unessentially mean?

Oops corrected.

Then they should impose term limits on Congress too which is a lot easier to do since a law is all is needed, for SCOTUS you need a new amendment to do that.
But who makes those laws? How many people do you know that would voluntarily decide to throw themselves out of a good job?

You may have unessentially exposed what they truly are, they treat it as a job and make a lot of money out of it.
What does unessentially mean?

Oops corrected.
Thx. What makes you think I was not intentional in my remarks? They're not
saints on missions up there.

Notice these China-First rats don't make the same and more obvious declaration of term limits for Congress?

The Washington Post editorial board over the weekend called to establish term limits for Supreme Court justices, limiting them to 18 years on the bench, in an effort to ensure both Republicans and Democrats have "foreseeable, regular opportunities to nominate justices."

The Post’s view came on the heels of Joe Biden’s Executive Order Friday to form a commission to "study" reforming the Supreme Court, including analysis of the "membership and size" and "length of service and turnover of justices" of the court, according to the White House.

Biden said the court system was "out of whack" in a "60 minutes" interview during his campaign for president, and promised to establish a commission to investigate solutions. The 36-member bipartisan commission will hold public meetings and is directed to complete its report within 180 days.

Sure, right after we have term limits for congress.

Agreed, they should all have some kind of term limit. For the SC maybe an aging out limit.
MAGA

At least the Post is willing to admit they are for politicizing the Court. I wish other leftist would be honest.

I for one think making our Justice system political is a horrible mistake

Notice these China-First rats don't make the same and more obvious declaration of term limits for Congress?

The Washington Post editorial board over the weekend called to establish term limits for Supreme Court justices, limiting them to 18 years on the bench, in an effort to ensure both Republicans and Democrats have "foreseeable, regular opportunities to nominate justices."

The Post’s view came on the heels of Joe Biden’s Executive Order Friday to form a commission to "study" reforming the Supreme Court, including analysis of the "membership and size" and "length of service and turnover of justices" of the court, according to the White House.

Biden said the court system was "out of whack" in a "60 minutes" interview during his campaign for president, and promised to establish a commission to investigate solutions. The 36-member bipartisan commission will hold public meetings and is directed to complete its report within 180 days.
Biden said the court system was "out of whack"

Of course he's going to say its out of whack, its not a liberal majority. However, once he adds 4 or 5 more justices, he will say the court is good. If they then find a way to limit the number of justices, ensuring that liberal majority for the next 15 years, he will say its just fine.

It would be a big mistake for term limits for the Supreme Court. No term limits keeps the members from political pressure from one election to the next.

Term limits wouldn't have any more effect on justices than they would on politicians. Conservatives think term limits on politicians are a good idea. Why not justices?

The proposal is that the 18 year term limit would stagger every two years. That means, every President could appoint a new justice every two years. Seems reasonable to me.

I would then cement into law only nine justices. Right now, there is no limit on the number of SCOTUS justices.
How about instead of all this problem of trying to stack the courts one way or another, why can't justice be blind and we don't know the political leanings of the justices?

The fact that we have this argument every time a new president is elected, or a justice retires should tell you something is indeed out of whack, but its not the balance of the court, its that we strive to place justices on the court based on their political leanings. Does this mean they will rule based in their ideology? I thought the job of a justice was to rule with impartiality, not with bias.

Good - There should be term limits not only on SCOTUS, but on Federal judges.
Lifetime appointments are BS.
But curious, why are Canadians so preoccupied with US politics :confused-84:

Once again, I will apply the Costanza Rule. This is a horrible idea promoted by an authoritarian Globalist, Jeff Bezos.

Resist The BEEZ!

For the House, terms are limited to 2 years. Senate to 6. Voters are given option to vote them out after that.

In regards to term limits for the Supreme Court justices, I'd rather see a mandatory retirement age of 75 for federal judges at all levels.

I'm sure if there were six liberal leaning justices on the court instead of conservative leaning ones the Post would have a different take on this. To be fair and honest so would conservatives if this were the case. Funny how politicans and there supporters in and out of the media only support ideas like this when it's to their benefit never when it's not which tells you what horrible idea it actually is.
Are you sure? I don't recall fox news wanted to kick Ruth Bader Ginsburg out of the court 24/7.
The fact is that progressive leftists want to reform the "authorities" to represent their world view which they learned from their college years.

I'm sure if there were six liberal leaning justices on the court instead of conservative leaning ones the Post would have a different take on this. To be fair and honest so would conservatives if this were the case. Funny how politicans and there supporters in and out of the media only support ideas like this when it's to their benefit never when it's not which tells you what horrible idea it actually is.
Are you sure? I don't recall fox news wanted to kick Ruth Bader Ginsburg out of the court 24/7.
The fact is that progressive leftists want to reform the "authorities" to represent their world view which they learned from their college years.
Conservatives and Fox News advocated that Ginsburg retire, due to medical concerns/age. There was never any movement towards an official action, like proposing term limits and such.

Amazon would not allow mail in ballots, the same guy owns the WaPost

New Topics

Forum List

Back