Was your education a waste?

I know a lot of you guys will hate on this fellow because of his hair and his style of getting his message out, but that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I personally watched this and realized that he was right. We were taught all this useless shit in school, but were we taught things that we could actually use in the real world? I'd say rarely.

Why is it that from 4th grade on up, school is preparing you for college and not life? Why are so many kids useless and clueless when they leave school? Why are kids uninterested in school? I wasn't a fan of most of my subjects, and Math was the one I hated most. But when I started taking business math, I actually enjoyed it because it was applicable, I could use that math, even if it was for basic shit. Unless I'm going to be an engineer, why would I need to learn algebra?

I think schools need to get their priorities straight, and should teach kids how to be prepared for adulthood, so they're not hit in the face like a ton of bricks when being an adult finally hits them.

You learn how to think, how to engage with a wide variety of subject matter, to strengthen the mental tools that you will apply to everything you ever do for the rest of your life. There is no wasted learning.

My ESL classes are working through a unit on financial literacy, investing, and fiscal responsibility. Through the end of the quarter, they are "investing" in a virtual stock market to learn what stocks are, how to invest, how to read patterns and make informed choices with the imaginary money I gave them. At the end of the quarter we will see which student made the most or lost the most.

I was lucky that I got out of the government-run schools and went to a private high-school where we WERE taught how to live in the real world. Public school was largely mind rot, not that we don't benefit from knowing history, math and such, just that it is THE WAY THEY GO ABOUT IT rarely tying what they teach in with real world applications and once taught, they move on and almost never go back over old material using it again nor integrating it with new material to help establish it in one's permanent memory! Public school as taught is mainly about short term memory and regurgitation to make you a good test taker so that you will graduate and move on to the next grade to keep the federal government out of their hair.

To be sure, knowing the exploits of Vasco da Gama or how to factor a polynomial don't generally contribute much relevance in everyday life. When they took teaching Civics out of public school in lieu of social studies and such, education took a huge step back.
If you went to private school what makes you an expert on what is taught in public schools?

My kid’s requirements from a top high school in the state. It’s just fine.
393DE258-6DE6-44B2-9F39-C2E8C462ED54.jpeg

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Forum List

Back