Was watching some old TV shows with my kid,

I started smoking in 1951 -- at age fifteen. Back then almost everyone smoked and a teen-age boy who didn't smoke was regarded as a kid by girls. If I knew then what everyone knows now I would never have started smoking, but back then cigarette ads featured signed testimonials by thousands of physicians who endorsed it as being "good for you."

images

And the most popular celebrities of the era, including Ronald Reagan, said it was the thing to do

44e393c5de304444945c8463b68f5192.jpg

It's amazing how the top executives of the cigarette companies got away with killing so many people and making so many deathly sick.
Some things I failed to mention in this message are the fact that cigarette companies did all they could to encourage smoking. Back then there would be pretty girls in all the bus and train stations and airports, dressed in dance costumes with high-heels and web stockings, carrying trays filled with sample packs of one brand of cigarette or another. They would hand these free samples out to GIs in uniform.

When I was stationed in Japan and Okinawa the price of cigarettes at the PX was one dollar per carton

In 1985 I attended a lecture by a pathologist at Columbia University. During this lecture the doctor uncovered two large laboratory jars and invited the audience to file past the table and examine the contents of those jars. One contained the bisected lungs of a 45 year-old non-smoker, an accident victim. The interior of these lungs was a healthy pink. The other jar contained the bisected lungs of a 50 year-old cigarette smoker who died of lung cancer. The lungs were about half the size of the healthy ones and their internal condition was disgusting -- a dark purplish brown with small patches of dark yellow. The sight of them was sufficient to make me quit smoking after thirty-five years, which I managed to do with the aid of Nicorette gum and Tootsie Roll lollipops.

The most difficult stage of quitting was the first few months when the urge to light up was constant. The urge gradually withdrew, but never completely and was most intense after meals and coffee. It's been 33 years since I quit smoking but every now and then I will experience a brief, mild urge to smoke. So the nicotine addiction is more tenacious than any other, including the heroin addiction.

I quit cold turkey 20+ years ago after a 30yr+ two-pack a day habit. Never had a desire since.
You just quit cold and never had an urge to smoke?

Did you use anything -- like Nicorette gum or patches? Did you need to do anything to compensate for lost hand and mouth activity, like chew on toothpicks, suck on lollipops (as I did)?

I quit cold turkey 20+ years ago after a 30yr+ two-pack a day habit. Never had a desire since.

Did you use anything -- like Nicorette gum or patches? Did you need to do anything to compensate for lost hand and mouth activity, like chew on toothpicks, suck on lollipops (as I did)?
I got up one morning and, as I got ready to brush my teeth, coughed up bright red blood into the sink. Didn't do anything about it until noon when I coughed up some more. Went to the ER and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. They did some tests and diagnosed me with pneumonia. I stayed 3 days and, from the moment I was released, never smoked another cigarette or had a desire for one. In fact, the smell disgusted me and has ever since.

I got up one morning and, as I got ready to brush my teeth, coughed up bright red blood into the sink. Didn't do anything about it until noon when I coughed up some more. Went to the ER and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. They did some tests and diagnosed me with pneumonia. I stayed 3 days and, from the moment I was released, never smoked another cigarette or had a desire for one. In fact, the smell disgusted me and has ever since.
I can understand your never smoking another cigarette after that experience, but the trauma must have been very intense to completely eliminate the compulsive effects of a 30 year addiction. I had a hell of a time for the first year and I've known several individuals who tried valiantly to quit smoking but couldn't get past that first wall-climbing month.

First hint she points out is no cell phones. It just blew her away that the world ran without cell phones and Facebook. For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.
I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much a while back, Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day.

He makes her take a SEDATIVE before he tells her the couple they allowed to take their kid (in Morocco) abducted him.

It's just a fun movie on so many levels. Plus she sings Que Sera Sera for like 20 minutes straight.

That will make you go insane.

42:48 is where he dopes her..after telling her she's crazy and he knows best. He gives her the drugs and then it's like oh yeah, you know those people we don't know in Morocco who we left our darling heir with? Yeah they took him.

Being a child during the 60s and 70s, smoking was a grownup thing, and almost all adults in my world smoked. I can remember times as a kid that I just could not get away from the smoke. Going on a two hour car trip to visit relatives seemed like torture. As I grew older, most my adult family members quit as did both my mother and father.

To this day, to me smoking a cigarette or cigar seems almost as discussing as eating dog turds from the yard. I have difficulty understanding why someone would voluntarily set a substance like tobacco on fire to breath in the pollution.

If you are a smoker, do the world a favor. Don't offer that non-smoker that first cigar or cigarette that may potentially get that person addicted and shorten that person's life.
Been trying to shorten mine, and its not working, or should I have started sooner. LOL

Forum List

Back