Was the Columbus, OH., police officer justified shooting the knife wielding girl? (poll)

Do you support the police officer shooting the knife wielding girl protecting the unarmed girl?

• Yes, the shooting was justified.

Votes: 111 94.1%
  • No, I'll explain in my post

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.

Except the "knife wielding girl" was not attacking ANYONE when they shot and killed her. She was on her back, on the ground, being kicked by a large man. And they shot her 4 times in the chest.

The police didn't even try to find out what was going on in this picture, they just pulled up and shot this girl 4 times in the chest. As the story is coming out, it appears that this girl may have been defending herself against the people who were attacking her. This was a 15 year old girl, and the people attacking her were adults.

THE POLICE DIDN'T BOTHER TO ASSESS THE SITUATION, OR ASK ANYONE WHAT WAS GOING ON, THEY JUST PULLED UP, JUMPED OUT AND SHOT THE GIRL ON HER BACK, ON THE GROUND IN LESS THAN 5 SECONDS.

HOW DID THE POLICE MANAGE TO ARREST THE PARKLAND SHOOTER WHO WAS ARMED AND DANGEROUS WITHOUT SHOOTING AND KILLING HIM ON SIGHT? OR DYLAN ROOFF? OR THE ATLANTA SPA SHOOTER? THEY HELPED KYLE RITTENHOUSE UP AND DIDN'T EVEN TAKE HIS GUN, AFTER HE THEY WATCHED HIM SHOOT 3 PEOPLE.

HOW COME ALL OF THESE ARMED AND DANGEROUS WHITE KILLERS GET ARRESTED WITHOUT BEING SHOT ON SIGHT BY POLICE.

Wow, they must be showing a completely different video on the foreign talking points than they are in the country with the opinions that actually matter.

Or possibly this is just your senile dementia kicking in.

If only we could judge America from the attitudes on this forum? I have to give America the benefit of the doubt and think that this 90% yes answer is only a reflection of an extremist fringe who are immersed in racism, hate, and a need to see more violence.

It needs to be tested somehow and maybe a comparison to other similar forums would be a way?

Could a lot of this be because the US has been defanged by China and there's no way to stay the lead aggressor in the world withe M.A.D. detterent to more new US led wars?

Encouraging the extra rabid frothing at the mouth is starting to produce results.
Anyone who believes a woman who is about to plunge a knife into someone doesn't deserve to be shot is insane.
The problem is the girl with the knife is the one who called 911 to protect her from the thugs as she was defending her property, life & home with that knife.

Maybe she didn't see the police roll up while she was focused on fighting off multiple attackers. The officer did not have a chance to sort the mess out & saved the criminals from the victim. It is a very sad situation.

If it was her home, why wasn't she in it, instead of charging two people with a deadly weapon in hand?

Ma'Khia Bryant was standing her ground and defending her home/castle as the "castle doctrine" allows. It looks like her father also kicked the (first woman that Ma'Khia had taken to the ground) in the back of the head as she was trying to get up when police arrived.

I don't know if they should have been defending their home or standing their ground all the way onto the sidewalk.

dispatchers first received a call for help from a woman who told officers that people were trying to fight and stab her and others, according to an audio recording played during the press conference. A second 911 caller also asked police to respond to the scene, but the call ended quickly after the person realized police had just arrived.
Bryant's family told WBNS-TV that Bryant was the one who called the police for help, saying people were fighting outside her house.

Why didn't they stay in the house until the police arrived? Also the officer had no way of knowing who the individuals were when he arrived, he had to react to the situation he was witnessing.

So if the cop allows the assailant to murder someone it is then a success as long as not by a cop.

Fucking lunacy!!!!

Confusion on the intent of the topic, resulting in useless spam.

Due to lower intelligence than required on this topic?
Or political frustration that is resuting in frothing at the mouth with hate?

The only thing I have a problem with is always, no matter the reason, shooting to kill....why can't cops be trained to shoot to maime in certain cases like with an attacker yielding a knife?

That is a really stupid thing to say. Police officers aren't trained trick shot artists. They are trained to shoot center of mass, it makes the possibility of stray round or ricochet less likely. You need to go to a concealed carry course to aid in curing your ignorance.

Then maybe in some cases, they should not pull out their gun at all..... If they know they are going to likely kill, whomever they shoot, and that person was initially stopped for a minor infraction....

All the cop tv shows as a kid, showed cops chasing down and running after thieves, or even really bad guys until they caught up with them and tackled them, not shooting down, center mass.....and killing them.

Were those cop tv shows just Hollywood, brainwashing us, about cops being the good guys, and not using their guns to kill unless they were being shot at... was all bull crap?
be specific now and explain HOW this cop in THIS situation had any other choice?
Did he have to fire, center mass, 4 times? Did he really have to do that? Would one shot, center mass, be enough to stop the girl with the knife? That close, seems like one shot, center mass, would be enough to nearly kill her or kill her right off, but there might have been a chance to save her life...?

Four shots at center mass seems like an OVER KILL?

Maybe the cop's adrenalin kicked in and he couldn't stop himself?? I dunno? :dunno:

And why couldn't he tackle her? Like in a Hawaii 5 O, or TJ Hooker?

I'm okay so far, with him having to shoot at her, I suppose, but shooting to kill her, center mass, and doing so four consecutive times, just ain't right.... to me...even if it is procedure.... :(

Just put yourself in the position of the girl in pink.

Yes. And No. I know. It is I the cop hater. At least that is what the replies from certain people will claim.

Yes. Shooting a weapon wielding individual is justified to save life.

The problem is totality of the situation. Nobody was hearing the commands of the cop. He wasn’t the loudest voice there. The fighting girls didn’t even see him. Not because they were black. Nor because they were girls.

The term is situational awareness. It takes training to avoid the normal human tendency to focus on one thing. The tunnel vision. A vast majority of you will never have experienced it. But with training you can avoid that deadly mistake.

The girls fighting were seeing nothing but their enemies. Totally normal human reaction. They were not hearing anything. Much less the sounds of the cop shouting.

This is where you need something to startle them. Something to get their attention. A shot into the grass as one example. I watched the video once. My mind screamed fire a shot into the ground. It will startle the girls out of the tunnel.

When the cop fired. At that moment he had a choice. Let another person get stabbed. Wounded. Possibly killed. Or shoot.

I don’t find fault with the shooting at the time it happened. But here again is where my often advocated position comes in. A study into the totality of events. Alternatives that can be thought of. Alternatives that may be available to the next cop in the next situation. Alternatives that may save a life later. And there are always alternatives. There are always lessons to be learned.

The biggest thing is think. It is hard to think in a stressful situation. The ability to do so is invaluable. This is where training comes in. Teaching people to think when the stress is on. Teaching them to avoid that tunnel vision.

The more you know. The better you are. We should milk incidents like this for every ounce of information.

It was a justified shooting IMO. It was still regrettable. And I would like to think of ways to avoid it if possible next time. I don’t want to see anyone die. Cop or civilian. If it can possibly be avoided.

You know why you don't fire into the ground? One word: ricochet.

Also, startling someone who's already swinging a knife at someone is an excellent way to make them lurch forward and CONTINUE THE SWING. Ever hear of momentum? Ever get startled by a loud, unexpected sound behind you? Did you freeze, or did you jump? Moron.

Maybe YOU should try thinking before flapping your gob about things you clearly know nothing about.

You convinced me. The shooting was absolutely not justified. Try and convict him for murder.

So if the cop allows the assailant to murder someone it is then a success as long as not by a cop.

Fucking lunacy!!!!

Confusion on the intent of the topic, resulting in useless spam.

Due to lower intelligence than required on this topic?
Or political frustration that is resuting in frothing at the mouth with hate?

The only troll spewing hate and vitriol, is you.

Amost certainly NO.

A more proficient police officer would have been able to remedy the situation so that it didn't result in death.

Death was the outcome and that can never be seen as a successful handling of the situation.

Once again it simply boils down to bad policing that's due to a lack of police concern for black lives.

It would be a near certainty that had the knife wielder been a white child and the intended victim a black child, the outcome would have been different and more desirable.

Americans can't understand this and so the fight to reform their police will be long, which will most likely result in police pushing the envelope on their right to kill to even greater heights.
With all due respect, Donald...you're an idiot! You've got one woman about to stab the other and the Police are about ten yards away. What "remedy" would you suggest is going to keep that other girl from being stabbed other than to shoot the girl wielding the knife? That girl gets shot regardless of skin color. Claiming otherwise is nothing more than race baiting! The Police Officer involved did his job. Not shooting and letting an unarmed person be murdered is what you think should have happened which is why you ARE an idiot!

The only thing I have a problem with is always, no matter the reason, shooting to kill....why can't cops be trained to shoot to maime in certain cases like with an attacker yielding a knife?
Actually, police are trained to aim for center mass. I don't believe they are shooting to kill, they are shooting to stop the target. Center mass being the place where a lot of vital organs are located.

You'd really have a hard time trying to shoot to maim. Trying to shoot for the legs or arms is difficult. You'd end up missing a lot of shots.

I'm sure those with more knowledge will correct me, but I'm thinking this is accurate.
He shot her FOUR TIMES, center mass. 4 shots...not 1 or even twice, or even thrice, but 4 shots?? Why was that necessary?

Police are trained to keep firing until the threat is eliminated. If he paused between shots to gauge their effect the girl in pink would more than likely have been stabbed. You have to realize the girl with the knife would have had high adrenalin levels and may not have felt the initial shots. Stop trying to second guess a deadly situation that unfolded in 11 seconds.

You also have to understand that the cop had no way of knowing if she was sober or on drugs. Some drugs make you stronger and more oblivious to pain.

Why didn't they stay in the house until the police arrived? Also the officer had no way of knowing who the individuals were when he arrived, he had to react to the situation he was witnessing.

There's nothing more you need to know than just the fact that death or deaths at a crime scene is police failure.

Hundreds more comments on this thread are not going to change that fact.

Reitterating over and over again by Americans that that is the desired outcome is just window dressing.

The reasons why it's desired is of interest here.

And the girl shot was the victim being attacked by the gang,
That's not what happened when LE arrived. There were no physical attacks going on when they rolled up.
I beg to differ. As soon as they got out of the police car the gal with the knife knocked another girl down and then went after the girl wearing pink. Watch the videos again.

Wrong.
That is just the tail end of the video.
Watch the whole thing.
The knife weilder was the innocent victim who actually lived there, trying to defend herself from a mob.
The girl with the knife in the air going for the girl in pink's neck was justifiably shot.
The girl with the knife is the murderer, the girl in pink's life was saved.
The cop is a hero.

Wrong.
We see a wind up to the right for a swing that then have to be horizontal to the left.
And with the overhand grip, it would have been impossible to reach as high as the neck.

The girl in pink was part of the gang of attackers who did not live there and had no right of defense in their attack on the M'Kia. They were deliberately trespassing.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, you being truly stupid here.

Go get a similar knife from your kitchen, and make a similar swing she was making, it would be EASY to get her in the chest, neck and face area.

I even had my 5' 2" tall daughter try it, she reached me easily in the upper chest area.

Stop making a fool of yourself!

And just for the record, it only takes about a pound of pressure to pierce skin. Human beings are quite fragile and easily damaged.

There's nothing more you need to know than just the fact that death or deaths at a crime scene is police failure.

Reitterating over and over again by Americans that that is the desired outcome is just window dressing.

In cases like this one? A death at this crime scene is an example of Police doing the job they're paid to do.
You don't have a clue about Policing and you demonstrate that more and more with each post!

Nope. That's resounding police success: One attempted murder prevented.

That's not what happened when LE arrived. There were no physical attacks going on when they rolled up.
I beg to differ. As soon as they got out of the police car the gal with the knife knocked another girl down and then went after the girl wearing pink. Watch the videos again.

Wrong.
That is just the tail end of the video.
Watch the whole thing.
The knife weilder was the innocent victim who actually lived there, trying to defend herself from a mob.
The girl with the knife in the air going for the girl in pink's neck was justifiably shot.
The girl with the knife is the murderer, the girl in pink's life was saved.
The cop is a hero.

The girl with the knife is not a murderer...because she did not murder anyone. The cop did his job, it was a justified shoot and unfortunately someone lost their life.

Okay, attempted murderer. Wannabe murderer.

With all due respect, Donald...you're an idiot! You've got one woman about to stab the other and the Police are about ten yards away. What "remedy" would you suggest is going to keep that other girl from being stabbed other than to shoot the girl wielding the knife? That girl gets shot regardless of skin color. Claiming otherwise is nothing more than race baiting! The Police Officer involved did his job. Not shooting and letting an unarmed person be murdered is what you think should have happened which is why you ARE an idiot!
I'll pay you the courtesy of one reply. The death may or may not have been preventable.

I won't get into any detail because your words indicate to me that you have absolutely no interest in hearing anything rational on how police attitudes could save so many American lives.

In the very slim chance that you actually care about human life, you could investigate the difference in American police actions ending in deaths, as opposed to other modern democracies.

Or you can just conclude that I'm an idiot and drop the whole thing.

A question for you: Can you reconcile your lust for death by police with your religious beliefs?

Amost certainly NO.

A more proficient police officer would have been able to remedy the situation so that it didn't result in death.

Death was the outcome and that can never be seen as a successful handling of the situation.

Once again it simply boils down to bad policing that's due to a lack of police concern for black lives.

It would be a near certainty that had the knife wielder been a white child and the intended victim a black child, the outcome would have been different and more desirable.

Americans can't understand this and so the fight to reform their police will be long, which will most likely result in police pushing the envelope on their right to kill to even greater heights.
Saving a black girl’s life from an assailant that just yelled “I’m gonna stab the fuck out of you” before lunging at her is racist?

The fact that this discussion is on the political forum indicates what? That all shootings by Police, justifiable or not, have become political in nature.
Everything has the potential to be "political."

What is politics?

Is it possible that politics is the margin of inadequacies in the organization of the government? After all, "politics," seems to be the discussion about what the government should do.

Don't believe your eyes, use a PROG-head instead.

So the knife wielder pushed one attacker down first in the video.
She had the knife then.
How come the woman knocked down was not cut?
The knife wielder lived there?
Did the other 2 women live there?
No, they were attackers from elsewhere.
They all lived there. This was a foster family. They got into a fight over housekeeping. No one was from elsewhere.

Correct.
But the knife wielder was smallest and the other started it.
It is not at all likely there was any real risk until the cop fired 4 .40S&W hollow points into her.
A hollow point is designed to expand into a small buzz saw that saws into the body from the rifling spin.
That was the only deadly intent anyone actually saw.
The knife swings were all so awkward as obviously only be theatrics.
There was not even a single drop of blood from the knife, even though they certainly had made close personal contact.
The knife wielder was the SMALLEST! Get your eyes examined. That ass alone was100 pounds. This was a good shoot no matter how many stories you want to fabricate.

She was fat but short, neither of which make her more dangerous, but much less so.
It was not awful to shoot, but there were better choices, and police should not be using such deadly weapons like hollow point bullets in .40S&W. Most police in the world used .380, full jacket, which is about a forth as lethal but just as effective.

It was a justified use of DPF.

Period

That is a legal point.
How about the more practical discussion on whether or not it was optimal?
Could fewer shots have been less deadly?
Should the police use hollow points, which actually are like little buzz saws?
Should police be trained to fire warning shots or just shoot once and see?

Not for anything, but it’s so easy to quarterback this officers actions from a keyboard. None of us were there in that moment. All we have is a video that looks like a split second decision to prevent a stabbing.

How about we discuss the girls failure to follow a lawful order instead of dissecting a lawful shoot with the intention of castigating his use of DPF.

Forum List

Back