Was the Columbus, OH., police officer justified shooting the knife wielding girl? (poll)

Do you support the police officer shooting the knife wielding girl protecting the unarmed girl?

• Yes, the shooting was justified.

Votes: 111 94.1%
  • No, I'll explain in my post

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
Was it a table knife, was she trying to stab or just threating? was she defending her self from thing like 3 against one. or was her intent to kill at least one other girl? what are the girls saying? What a mess, feel sorry for all involved.

I can't imagine how you think any of that would be relevant to the situation the cop found himself in, but I'm a sane, moral human being rather than a leftist, so . . .

Yes. And No. I know. It is I the cop hater. At least that is what the replies from certain people will claim.

Yes. Shooting a weapon wielding individual is justified to save life.

The problem is totality of the situation. Nobody was hearing the commands of the cop. He wasn’t the loudest voice there. The fighting girls didn’t even see him. Not because they were black. Nor because they were girls.

The term is situational awareness. It takes training to avoid the normal human tendency to focus on one thing. The tunnel vision. A vast majority of you will never have experienced it. But with training you can avoid that deadly mistake.

The girls fighting were seeing nothing but their enemies. Totally normal human reaction. They were not hearing anything. Much less the sounds of the cop shouting.

This is where you need something to startle them. Something to get their attention. A shot into the grass as one example. I watched the video once. My mind screamed fire a shot into the ground. It will startle the girls out of the tunnel.

When the cop fired. At that moment he had a choice. Let another person get stabbed. Wounded. Possibly killed. Or shoot.

I don’t find fault with the shooting at the time it happened. But here again is where my often advocated position comes in. A study into the totality of events. Alternatives that can be thought of. Alternatives that may be available to the next cop in the next situation. Alternatives that may save a life later. And there are always alternatives. There are always lessons to be learned.

The biggest thing is think. It is hard to think in a stressful situation. The ability to do so is invaluable. This is where training comes in. Teaching people to think when the stress is on. Teaching them to avoid that tunnel vision.

The more you know. The better you are. We should milk incidents like this for every ounce of information.

It was a justified shooting IMO. It was still regrettable. And I would like to think of ways to avoid it if possible next time. I don’t want to see anyone die. Cop or civilian. If it can possibly be avoided.

You know why you don't fire into the ground? One word: ricochet.

Also, startling someone who's already swinging a knife at someone is an excellent way to make them lurch forward and CONTINUE THE SWING. Ever hear of momentum? Ever get startled by a loud, unexpected sound behind you? Did you freeze, or did you jump? Moron.

Maybe YOU should try thinking before flapping your gob about things you clearly know nothing about.

Unless you hit a boulder, you are not going to get a ricochet from shooting into the ground.
And 99.9999% of ricochets are harmless, not only because the energy is vastly dissipated, but because the odds of it being in a direction to kill, is so extremely tiny.

Any level shot, at someone, is thousands of times more risky because they can over penetrate the target, and are in line with all the other people standing on the ground, in houses, etc.
Almost every shot police fire these days is incredibly risky and stupid, and almost always harms innocent people.

And no, a loud shot flinch NEVER makes them continue a swing.
It causes muscles to contract, pulling in the extremities to shield the body, instinctively.

You think I made this up or something?
No, 50 years ago police were TRAINED to ALWAYS fire warning shots.
Any rational or sane person would ALWAYS do that.

The context of "ammo" I was going for is "GOP law and order" vs. "Democrat's chaos and anarchy, by defunding the police". There is enough "bl;ood in the streets" of big cities like Chicago already. Your post shows you to be an anti-American POS.
At least have the balls to stand by your evil. LOL

Had this been your daughter, about to be stabbed in the neck, you would be perfectly fine with him not shooting to save your daughter's life, just standing there looking on as she was being murdered. Not me.

Amost certainly NO.

A more proficient police officer would have been able to remedy the situation so that it didn't result in death.

Death was the outcome and that can never be seen as a successful handling of the situation.

Once again it simply boils down to bad policing that's due to a lack of police concern for black lives.

It would be a near certainty that had the knife wielder been a white child and the intended victim a black child, the outcome would have been different and more desirable.

Americans can't understand this and so the fight to reform their police will be long, which will most likely result in police pushing the envelope on their right to kill to even greater heights.
leftist stupid1.jpg

Amost certainly NO.

A more proficient police officer would have been able to remedy the situation so that it didn't result in death.

Death was the outcome and that can never be seen as a successful handling of the situation.

Once again it simply boils down to bad policing that's due to a lack of police concern for black lives.

It would be a near certainty that had the knife wielder been a white child and the intended victim a black child, the outcome would have been different and more desirable.

Americans can't understand this and so the fight to reform their police will be long, which will most likely result in police pushing the envelope on their right to kill to even greater heights.

Are you fucking shitting us? You could NEVER be a cop and if you were your partner is fucked and you're dead.

Explain to all of us what should have occurred with details. Same with the other PROGS who chose not justified.

Fucking morons.

Wrong.
If the cops had not showed up, then what would the likely outcome have been?
Nothing.

These situations happen often, and almost never is any harm caused.
Humans just rarely if ever cause bodily harm with an edged weapon, especially a teen.

Police almost always make every situation worse, and in fact they illegal cause most of the harm in the world, like no-knock warrants, the War on Drugs, asset forfeiture, erc.
If there were no police, the world would be vastly improved, like it was 100 years ago.

Who was the idiot who said the cop should have fired warning shots in the air?

Shots in the air are NOT risky, as the energy is lost and the range where is can land it way too big to be risky.
But the suggestion was to fire into the ground, like police away used to do 50 years ago.
This was a child and would have been frozen into a contracted ball by the loud noise of a close by gunshot into the ground.

The context of "ammo" I was going for is "GOP law and order" vs. "Democrat's chaos and anarchy, by defunding the police". There is enough "bl;ood in the streets" of big cities like Chicago already. Your post shows you to be an anti-American POS.
At least have the balls to stand by your evil. LOL

Had this been your daughter, about to be stabbed in the neck, you would be perfectly fine with him not shooting to save your daughter's life, just standing there looking on as she was being murdered. Not me.

Wrong.
The knife was being held sideways to the right, and then the only possible swing would have been a lateral move to the left, only slightly about the middle. It is not likely it would even have cut though the clothing.
It was not a "stabbing" motion at all, but a swing.
And odds are it was never intended to actually make contact, but was just for show.
If she had intended a deadly stab, it would have been over before the police even got there.
She was essentially dancing.
It is a display.

IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.

Except the "knife wielding girl" was not attacking ANYONE when they shot and killed her. She was on her back, on the ground, being kicked by a large man. And they shot her 4 times in the chest.

The police didn't even try to find out what was going on in this picture, they just pulled up and shot this girl 4 times in the chest. As the story is coming out, it appears that this girl may have been defending herself against the people who were attacking her. This was a 15 year old girl, and the people attacking her were adults.

THE POLICE DIDN'T BOTHER TO ASSESS THE SITUATION, OR ASK ANYONE WHAT WAS GOING ON, THEY JUST PULLED UP, JUMPED OUT AND SHOT THE GIRL ON HER BACK, ON THE GROUND IN LESS THAN 5 SECONDS.

HOW DID THE POLICE MANAGE TO ARREST THE PARKLAND SHOOTER WHO WAS ARMED AND DANGEROUS WITHOUT SHOOTING AND KILLING HIM ON SIGHT? OR DYLAN ROOFF? OR THE ATLANTA SPA SHOOTER? THEY HELPED KYLE RITTENHOUSE UP AND DIDN'T EVEN TAKE HIS GUN, AFTER HE THEY WATCHED HIM SHOOT 3 PEOPLE.

HOW COME ALL OF THESE ARMED AND DANGEROUS WHITE KILLERS GET ARRESTED WITHOUT BEING SHOT ON SIGHT BY POLICE.

If only we could judge America from the attitudes on this forum? I have to give America the benefit of the doubt and think that this 90% yes answer is only a reflection of an extremist fringe who are immersed in racism, hate, and a need to see more violence.

It needs to be tested somehow and maybe a comparison to other similar forums would be a way?

Could a lot of this be because the US has been defanged by China and there's no way to stay the lead aggressor in the world withe M.A.D. detterent to more new US led wars?

Encouraging the extra rabid frothing at the mouth is starting to produce results.
Anyone who believes a woman who is about to plunge a knife into someone doesn't deserve to be shot is insane.
The problem is the girl with the knife is the one who called 911 to protect her from the thugs as she was defending her property, life & home with that knife.

Maybe she didn't see the police roll up while she was focused on fighting off multiple attackers. The officer did not have a chance to sort the mess out & saved the criminals from the victim. It is a very sad situation.
She wasn't fighting off anyone. She went after the other girl and tried to stab her.

Shots in the air are NOT risky, as the energy is lost and the range where is can land it way too big to be risky.
But the suggestion was to fire into the ground, like police away used to do 50 years ago.
This was a child and would have been frozen into a contracted ball by the loud noise of a close by gunshot into the ground.

:auiqs.jpg:

You are SPECULATING wildly, you have no evidence it would work.

Gove it up, speculations and stupid arm chair claims are dead ends here.

The girl was already beginning to make the stab move when she got shot, the police came BECAUSE of the 911 call, it is clear you didn't read post one link at all.

IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.
The police officer responded appropriately. She also attacked the the first girl who ended up on the ground with the knife. All that happened within a matter of seconds right in front of the police officer.

View attachment 482782

It looks like it from just a video. I'm assuming that tazing was not an option.

Agree that it was a justified shooting. No way that officer had time to taz. Absolutely a split second decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. Glad it wasn't one of the Innocent people standing around or the officer.
MAGA
The Officer saved the guilty thugs who were attacking Ma'Khia Bryant's home that she was defending with a knife.

That officer is also only reacting to the situation that is happening right in front of him. We do not know if the child was being physically attacked before this. And let's say for the sake of argument that she was, what was happening in the video that we are seeing is that the child was the aggressor and was the only one with a weapon.

Upon the officers arrival she could have de-escalated her "defense " and differed to the officer. She did not she continued her attack and in fact ramped it up. The officer had but a split second to make a decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. It could have been 2 casualties if he would have delayed.

Could have been, but not likely.
People rarely intend actual harm when wildly swinging a knife like that.
She did not even seem to know how to hold a knife in a way capable of causing death.

And even if the knife had made a wound, it had almost zero chance of being deadly.

While in contract, 4 hollow point shots from a .40S&W is absolutely assured of being deadly to a 16 year old girl.
And 1 shot would have been sufficient.
In fact, 1 shot into the ground likely would have been sufficient.

View attachment 482782

The police officer responded appropriately. She also attacked the the first girl who ended up on the ground with the knife. All that happened within a matter of seconds right in front of the police officer.

How is 4 shots appropriate?
And the girl shot was the victim being attacked by the gang, and it was the girl who the police shot who had called the police in the first place.

The girl shot was the one who actually lived there.

I wouldn't take that chance of firing off shots into the ground. Officer was right in saving the victim's life. He should be commended for those heroic actions. God bless him.

The only thing I have a problem with is always, no matter the reason, shooting to kill....why can't cops be trained to shoot to maime in certain cases like with an attacker yielding a knife?

That is a really stupid thing to say. Police officers aren't trained trick shot artists. They are trained to shoot center of mass, it makes the possibility of stray round or ricochet less likely. You need to go to a concealed carry course to aid in curing your ignorance.

Then maybe in some cases, they should not pull out their gun at all..... If they know they are going to likely kill, whomever they shoot, and that person was initially stopped for a minor infraction....

All the cop tv shows as a kid, showed cops chasing down and running after thieves, or even really bad guys until they caught up with them and tackled them, not shooting down, center mass.....and killing them.

Were those cop tv shows just Hollywood, brainwashing us, about cops being the good guys, and not using their guns to kill unless they were being shot at... was all bull crap?
be specific now and explain HOW this cop in THIS situation had any other choice?
Did he have to fire, center mass, 4 times? Did he really have to do that? Would one shot, center mass, be enough to stop the girl with the knife? That close, seems like one shot, center mass, would be enough to nearly kill her or kill her right off, but there might have been a chance to save her life...?

Four shots at center mass seems like an OVER KILL?

Maybe the cop's adrenalin kicked in and he couldn't stop himself?? I dunno? :dunno:

And why couldn't he tackle her? Like in a Hawaii 5 O, or TJ Hooker?

I'm okay so far, with him having to shoot at her, I suppose, but shooting to kill her, center mass, and doing so four consecutive times, just ain't right.... to me...even if it is procedure.... :(

" And why couldn't he tackle her? Like in a Hawaii 5 O, or TJ Hooker? "

Good lord, please get a brain. We who served are TRAINED to shoot center mass, you shoot til they're down and even then approach warily.TURN OFF THE DAMN TV.

Ye gods, some of these people have so little brain wattage generated, it's a wonder they can stand upright. "Tackle her, like on these TV shows I saw." Do people not teach their children that TV is made-up anymore?

I have no words for a statement like that.

View attachment 482782

It looks like it from just a video. I'm assuming that tazing was not an option.

Agree that it was a justified shooting. No way that officer had time to taz. Absolutely a split second decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. Glad it wasn't one of the Innocent people standing around or the officer.
MAGA
The Officer saved the guilty thugs who were attacking Ma'Khia Bryant's home that she was defending with a knife.

That officer is also only reacting to the situation that is happening right in front of him. We do not know if the child was being physically attacked before this. And let's say for the sake of argument that she was, what was happening in the video that we are seeing is that the child was the aggressor and was the only one with a weapon.

Upon the officers arrival she could have de-escalated her "defense " and differed to the officer. She did not she continued her attack and in fact ramped it up. The officer had but a split second to make a decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. It could have been 2 casualties if he would have delayed.
I was only replying to your statement of "Glad it wasn't one of the Innocent people standing around" that got killed.

I don't fault the officer, he did what he had to do.

I think he should have used his siren as he arrived or shouted "Police - Drop it" instead, he said "hey, hey, hey, get down, get down, get down" & fired 4 shots. To MaKhia Bryant the Officers voice may have just been another in the crowd. She was focused on fighting off thugs & may not have noticed police if he didn't blare siren as he arrived or yelled police.

It's just a sad situation, but the Officer should not be charged with any crime.

Forum List

Back