Was the Columbus, OH., police officer justified shooting the knife wielding girl? (poll)

Do you support the police officer shooting the knife wielding girl protecting the unarmed girl?

• Yes, the shooting was justified.

Votes: 111 94.1%
  • No, I'll explain in my post

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.
It looks like it from just a video. I'm assuming that tazing was not an option.

Agree that it was a justified shooting. No way that officer had time to taz. Absolutely a split second decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. Glad it wasn't one of the Innocent people standing around or the officer.
MAGA
The Officer saved the guilty thugs who were attacking Ma'Khia Bryant's home that she was defending with a knife.
I must assume you did not see the foster mom and what she said happened. get your facts straight dumb ass.
Link?:link::link::link:
This recent news update has a lot of background info.
The "foster" girls were apparently fighting over housekeeping?!
Pulling a knife was the fatal mistake. Happy birthday mom...

IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.

Agree that it was a justified shooting. No way that officer had time to taz. Absolutely a split second decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. Glad it wasn't one of the Innocent people standing around or the officer.
MAGA
The Officer saved the guilty thugs who were attacking Ma'Khia Bryant's home that she was defending with a knife.

Had not heard that, but did not see a weapon being brandished by others at the scene.

The only thing I have a problem with is always, no matter the reason, shooting to kill....why can't cops be trained to shoot to maime in certain cases like with an attacker yielding a knife?

That is a really stupid thing to say. Police officers aren't trained trick shot artists. They are trained to shoot center of mass, it makes the possibility of stray round or ricochet less likely. You need to go to a concealed carry course to aid in curing your ignorance.

Then maybe in some cases, they should not pull out their gun at all..... If they know they are going to likely kill, whomever they shoot, and that person was initially stopped for a minor infraction....

All the cop tv shows as a kid, showed cops chasing down and running after thieves, or even really bad guys until they caught up with them and tackled them, not shooting down, center mass.....and killing them.

Were those cop tv shows just Hollywood, brainwashing us, about cops being the good guys, and not using their guns to kill unless they were being shot at... was all bull crap?
be specific now and explain HOW this cop in THIS situation had any other choice?
Did he have to fire, center mass, 4 times? Did he really have to do that? Would one shot, center mass, be enough to stop the girl with the knife? That close, seems like one shot, center mass, would be enough to nearly kill her or kill her right off, but there might have been a chance to save her life...?

Four shots at center mass seems like an OVER KILL?

Maybe the cop's adrenalin kicked in and he couldn't stop himself?? I dunno? :dunno:

And why couldn't he tackle her? Like in a Hawaii 5 O, or TJ Hooker?

I'm okay so far, with him having to shoot at her, I suppose, but shooting to kill her, center mass, and doing so four consecutive times, just ain't right.... to me...even if it is procedure.... :(
EVERY SINGLE COP is taught to shoot center mass because any other area is a probable miss. They are taught to fire until the target goes down as well no sane cop would fire once and then look to see if it worked that gets you killed.By the time he could tackle her she would have stabbed the other girl AND his tackling her would drive her forward into the other girl also stabbing her.
it was a knife, not a gun...a shot to the chest or stomach would stop anyone with a knife, from continuing their lunge imo..But 2 or three more shots? ... If it was a gun, pointed at the girl, I'd be standing there with you on this....
So, did the girl with the knife, call 911 for help in the dispute, or not????
That isn't true..not even close to true especially for people who are on drugs. My criminal bro in law was shot multiple times by a cop including once in the nuts---------he still managed to beat the cop almost to death with his own flashlight and then walked several miles back to his house...

We live in pure negative times for police. Their main problem is they arrived to quickly. Slow down. Stop at every light to make sure other traffic has slowed or stop. At every Stop sign stop and look both ways. Just go a little faster then the speed limit. A half minute to a minute later can make all the difference in saving your career as an officer and being charged with a crime by your own city government and having you and your family threatened by BLM insurrectionists. In this case the person with the knife would have completed her mission and you would only have to deal with her if she did not drop it and lunged at you. This is the new reality. Go with it. Go home after the day.

Was it a table knife, was she trying to stab or just threating? was she defending her self from thing like 3 against one. or was her intent to kill at least one other girl? what are the girls saying? What a mess, feel sorry for all involved.

View attachment 482782

MAGA
I must assume you did not see the foster mom and what she said happened. get your facts straight dumb ass.
Link?:link::link::link:
This recent news update has a lot of background info.
The "foster" girls were apparently fighting over housekeeping?!
Pulling a knife was the fatal mistake. Happy birthday mom...
Foster families are going to have to take in criminal invaders. Many pretending to be teens. That will make knife fights a neighborhood sport.

Was it a table knife, was she trying to stab or just threating? was she defending her self from thing like 3 against one. or was her intent to kill at least one other girl? what are the girls saying? What a mess, feel sorry for all involved.

....Just watch the video

She definitely looks like she's about to tear another girl up with a blade big enough to kill

As to what happened before that moment. IDK

The weirdest part of this whole story to me is that the attacker was quite chubby and the girl getting attacked looked like she could run circles around her. The target of the stabber just pinned herself up against a car in a panic. But had she just ran away from the larger girl she would have been much better off. She was very lucky that cop was there.

View attachment 482782

MAGA

That officer is also only reacting to the situation that is happening right in front of him. We do not know if the child was being physically attacked before this. And let's say for the sake of argument that she was, what was happening in the video that we are seeing is that the child was the aggressor and was the only one with a weapon.

Upon the officers arrival she could have de-escalated her "defense " and differed to the officer. She did not she continued her attack and in fact ramped it up. The officer had but a split second to make a decision and unfortunately someone lost their life. It could have been 2 casualties if he would have delayed.

The only thing I have a problem with is always, no matter the reason, shooting to kill....why can't cops be trained to shoot to maime in certain cases like with an attacker yielding a knife?

That is a really stupid thing to say. Police officers aren't trained trick shot artists. They are trained to shoot center of mass, it makes the possibility of stray round or ricochet less likely. You need to go to a concealed carry course to aid in curing your ignorance.

Then maybe in some cases, they should not pull out their gun at all..... If they know they are going to likely kill, whomever they shoot, and that person was initially stopped for a minor infraction....

All the cop tv shows as a kid, showed cops chasing down and running after thieves, or even really bad guys until they caught up with them and tackled them, not shooting down, center mass.....and killing them.

Were those cop tv shows just Hollywood, brainwashing us, about cops being the good guys, and not using their guns to kill unless they were being shot at... was all bull crap?
be specific now and explain HOW this cop in THIS situation had any other choice?
Did he have to fire, center mass, 4 times? Did he really have to do that? Would one shot, center mass, be enough to stop the girl with the knife? That close, seems like one shot, center mass, would be enough to nearly kill her or kill her right off, but there might have been a chance to save her life...?

Maybe the cop's adrenalin kicked in and he couldn't stop himself?? I dunno? :dunno:

I'm okay so far, with him having to shoot at her, I suppose, but shooting to kill her, center mass, and doing so four consecutive times, just ain't right.... to me...even if it is procedure.... :(
EVERY SINGLE COP is taught to shoot center mass because any other area is a probable miss. They are taught to fire until the target goes down as well no sane cop would fire once and then look to see if it worked that gets you killed.By the time he could tackle her she would have stabbed the other girl AND his tackling her would drive her forward into the other girl also stabbing her.
it was a knife, not a gun...a shot to the chest or stomach would stop anyone with a knife, from continuing their lunge imo..But 2 or three more shots? ... If it was a gun, pointed at the girl, I'd be standing there with you on this....
So, did the girl with the knife, call 911 for help in the dispute, or not????
That isn't true..not even close to true especially for people who are on drugs. My criminal bro in law was shot multiple times by a cop including once in the nuts---------he still managed to beat the cop almost to death with his own flashlight and then walked several miles back to his house...

That is the exception, not the rule. But noted!

The Police Officer was totally wrong and should have used his laser beam eyes to disarm the sixteen year old with the knife, baked her some cookies and gave her some milk and then explained how her anger could have or should have gotten her killed...

( No, I am not being serious there at all! )

Look people the fact is had the Cop done nothing or failed while trying to do something that sixteen year old could have killed the other female and then the left would have been yelping about how the Cop failed to protect the other female, so it is damn it you do and damn if you don’t scenario!
4 shots to central mass mad jack....that just seems like over kill.... Adrenalin perhaps?

Yes, I'm glad he saved the girl about to be stabbed, but I still wish the stabber could have been stopped, by other means.... Tasered, clubbed, kicked.... In this case that may have not been an option.... I understand such.

Hearing the video and seeing other evidence the officer had no choice but to shoot or let her stab the other person and then shoot.

Unfortunately many that want to make this about the next excessive force issue are at the losing end on this and I would support the Cop right to use deadly force no matter the color of the person when it is something that dangerous.

Maybe you can wear a sign---"ATTN. PIGS---if someone is about to stab me to death---YOU MAY
SHOOT ONLY ONE BULLET----BECAUSE I CARE"
Rosie, from observation of all of your postings on these type of topics on USMB, it appears that you've got a problem....
And need to seek some help from your colleagues in the medical field, or spiritual help from your Rabbi.... Imho.

thanks for CARING------"a problem" ? Reminds
me of some requests for consultation I have seen.
One that I actually copied said "patient has vague
symptoms"

Actually, police are trained to aim for center mass. I don't believe they are shooting to kill, they are shooting to stop the target. Center mass being the place where a lot of vital organs are located.

You'd really have a hard time trying to shoot to maim. Trying to shoot for the legs or arms is difficult. You'd end up missing a lot of shots.

I'm sure those with more knowledge will correct me, but I'm thinking this is accurate.

No, you're correct. There are a number of reasons why law enforcement is trained to aim for center mass: it's an easier target to hit, it limits the chances of collateral damage (hitting a bystander), shooting the arm or the leg doesn't lessen the chance that the target could die (because both arms and legs have major arteries in them, with much less protection), and hitting the torso is more likely to produce the stopping effect that's the whole point of the effort. This last is also why the officer shot her more than once: one shot often does not stop the assailant.

Because shooting a pistol accurately is very difficult cops are taught to shoot "center mass" to avoid wild bullets killing passers-by.
That OH cop was an excellent shot only hitting the perp and not the gal in pink, who was a fraction of a second away from being dead. That cop deserves a medal or commendation.

That was some extremely impressive reaction time and accuracy on his part.

Yes. And No. I know. It is I the cop hater. At least that is what the replies from certain people will claim.

Yes. Shooting a weapon wielding individual is justified to save life.

The problem is totality of the situation. Nobody was hearing the commands of the cop. He wasn’t the loudest voice there. The fighting girls didn’t even see him. Not because they were black. Nor because they were girls.

The term is situational awareness. It takes training to avoid the normal human tendency to focus on one thing. The tunnel vision. A vast majority of you will never have experienced it. But with training you can avoid that deadly mistake.

The girls fighting were seeing nothing but their enemies. Totally normal human reaction. They were not hearing anything. Much less the sounds of the cop shouting.

This is where you need something to startle them. Something to get their attention. A shot into the grass as one example. I watched the video once. My mind screamed fire a shot into the ground. It will startle the girls out of the tunnel.

When the cop fired. At that moment he had a choice. Let another person get stabbed. Wounded. Possibly killed. Or shoot.

I don’t find fault with the shooting at the time it happened. But here again is where my often advocated position comes in. A study into the totality of events. Alternatives that can be thought of. Alternatives that may be available to the next cop in the next situation. Alternatives that may save a life later. And there are always alternatives. There are always lessons to be learned.

The biggest thing is think. It is hard to think in a stressful situation. The ability to do so is invaluable. This is where training comes in. Teaching people to think when the stress is on. Teaching them to avoid that tunnel vision.

The more you know. The better you are. We should milk incidents like this for every ounce of information.

It was a justified shooting IMO. It was still regrettable. And I would like to think of ways to avoid it if possible next time. I don’t want to see anyone die. Cop or civilian. If it can possibly be avoided.

You know why you don't fire into the ground? One word: ricochet.

Also, startling someone who's already swinging a knife at someone is an excellent way to make them lurch forward and CONTINUE THE SWING. Ever hear of momentum? Ever get startled by a loud, unexpected sound behind you? Did you freeze, or did you jump? Moron.

Maybe YOU should try thinking before flapping your gob about things you clearly know nothing about.

Amost certainly NO.

A more proficient police officer would have been able to remedy the situation so that it didn't result in death.

Death was the outcome and that can never be seen as a successful handling of the situation.

Once again it simply boils down to bad policing that's due to a lack of police concern for black lives.

It would be a near certainty that had the knife wielder been a white child and the intended victim a black child, the outcome would have been different and more desirable.

Americans can't understand this and so the fight to reform their police will be long, which will most likely result in police pushing the envelope on their right to kill to even greater heights.

Are you fucking shitting us? You could NEVER be a cop and if you were your partner is fucked and you're dead.

Explain to all of us what should have occurred with details. Same with the other PROGS who chose not justified.

Fucking morons.

" And why couldn't he tackle her? Like in a Hawaii 5 O, or TJ Hooker? "

Good lord, please get a brain. We who served are TRAINED to shoot center mass, you shoot til they're down and even then approach warily.TURN OFF THE DAMN TV.

Ye gods, some of these people have so little brain wattage generated, it's a wonder they can stand upright. "Tackle her, like on these TV shows I saw." Do people not teach their children that TV is made-up anymore?

Did the officer have the choice of using a Taser instead of a gun?

Not if he wanted to be certain he prevented the stabbing, no. Not that you care about that, because valuing lives that aren't useful to your political agenda is the mark of a human being, and leftists aren't.

Forum List

Back