Was It Really Joe Wilson That Was Deep Cover?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Not a bad arguement for:

http://strata-sphere.com/blog/index.php/archives/3471

Joe Wilson, CIA Operative?

While I was flying out on vacation last week I was contemplating the Joe Wilson/Valerie Plame partisan hit job, specifically one aspect of this whole mess that has bugged me from the start: why pick the apparently loose lipped Wilson for a CIA field investigation into WMD trafficking? And not just once but apparently many times. On the surface Wilson appears to be a bungling fool who cannot keep his lies straight to save his life, and who blabs on and on about how great he his (clearly a legend in his own mind). I have, from day one of this story, never been able to resolve the apparent conflict of the clown and the seriousness of the missions he was sent opn. And then it hit me.

Joe Wilson is/was a deep cover operative. The indications are everywhere, and in so many places I will not even try to link to all the material that has been published on each aspect of Joe Wilson’s life that hint this may be true. I am sure the Plamiac experts here and elsewhere will correct anything I use to support my theory. But it makes some sense and puts a lot of things into a different, more coherent perspective.

First, Joe Wilson worked in the Baghdad bureau of the State Department and was the one who ’stayed behind’ when the first Gulf War broke out. His role as Chief of Station could be a dual one, with an intelligence side as a covert agent. It would make sense why he received so many accolades for his stint there - he could have been a lead CIA coordinator in country.

Second, when Wilson and Plame met at a party at the Turkish Embassy in 1997, it is reported she blurted out she worked at the CIA early on in their encounters (under 48 hours). Plame doesn’t seem to be the type, after being a NOC, to simply blurt that out. But Wilson is gifted in saying things he shouldn’t at times (like noting Val’s job at Brewster and Jennings on a political donation, but more on that in a second). So it is not a big shock if the conversation was more along the lines “I work at the CIA too” and Wilson was trying to be too cute by half. Valerie had just come back from Greece because it was feared her cover had been blown by Aldrich Ames, so I doubt she would tell just anyone where she worked. In fact, there has been speculation that Marc Grossman, who seems to have known them both, may have helped get the two together. The intelligence world is a very small clique, which is why Grossman could get a request answered in a day when it came time to find out who sent Wilson to Niger (though I still suspect he knows). So maybe she knew about his work and was just letting him now she was from the same clothe.

Third, there is the first hand knowledge of CIA cover Brewster and Jennings by Wilson. Should he have known about Val’s cover? I am not sure, but some cover story had to be established. All I know is it seems he was the one who noted it on campaign donation records. As I noted way back here in this post it appears Wilson donated too much money initially to the Gore campaign, well over the hard money limit, and had to redistribute the money between him and Valerie so it looked like two donations. But why use the CIA cover company after years of supposedly keeping it secret? Well, what if B&J was a well known cover company that was a code word Congress and others in the Federal Government used to refer to black ops work? Maybe Wilson was trying to send a signal to someone on the Gore campaign? Who knows. Granted, this is a weak connection, but the B&J mystery has always been what a lame cover it is, which makes it perfect as a code phrase for top government officials to use to hint at a group of people and their intel work.

Fourth, Wilson’s many trips to Niger at key, critical points and on jobs that would not be in the hands of just anyone. His first trip, in Wilson’s own words was to turn a military coup detat, inside a country that’s prime product was a nuclear power source, towards a democratic government. And this was in a country that basically was a French protectorate. So why send the CIA in? Probably because the French could not have a US official openly working for them or some other such nonsense. But Wilson did play a large role in this 1999 effort (which happened to occur right after his donation to the Gore campaign). At least that is what Wilson claims. My knowkedge of the government is they DO NOT outsource these kinds of responsibilities to private individuals - probably because legally they cannot. Agents of the government have certain authorities which cannot be conveyed on private individuals. It makes more sense Wilson, as an agent, was operating as a US official under cover.

And there is the claim that this entire news media fiasco was an attempt to send a signal to Joe Wilson himself. Now that is still a silly claim, but if Wilson was a covert agent then the news getting out his wife worked at the CIA COULD have been seen by Wilson as a warning of what would be coming his way. He may have actually felt his career was being threatened if he was the one who was now the covert agent.

And I cannot help and wonder about why Wilson was not debriefed at the CIA but was instead dedbriefed at his home with Valerie present. It is a well known fact that covert agents avoid Langley like the plague, so that would fit into the overall theory. Especially AFTER the trip to Niger. To avoid any potential connection to the CIA and Wilson’s trip the debriefing would best be done outside a known CIA facility. ...

Forum List

Back