Was ISIS' burning the Jordanian pilot unforgiveable?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
59b904de.jpg

But this is ok because we did it? But if anyone does it to us or our friends it's not ok? And if you think it's an unfair comparison because this is a drawing and not real, I can link to real video and imagery. But I choose not to trusting the realness of our own sins isn't in dispute.

We're being conditioned to hate everybody but ourselves and our friends condemning them for doing exactly what we ourselves have done and usually on much larger scales. Every war features propaganda from both sides. But pretending either side is blameless or innocent or horrible atrocities against human life is foolish. Even more now with the internet making retrieval of these things something anyone can do in just moments.

Define forgive. It's always possible to forgive individuals. It's probably impossible, and really bad thing to do, to "forgive" something totally evil and without excuse.

As to flame throwers and WWII, both sides were armed. It's easy to say we were "right" and they were "wrong," and I honestly believe democracy had to triumph over totalitarianism, though avoiding war through diplomacy is preferable, when possible. But, I don't think you are making any valid comparison here between Isis burning an unarmed caged prisoner, and armed combat.

59b904de.jpg

But this is ok because we did it? But if anyone does it to us or our friends it's not ok? And if you think it's an unfair comparison because this is a drawing and not real, I can link to real video and imagery. But I choose not to trusting the realness of our own sins isn't in dispute.

We're being conditioned to hate everybody but ourselves and our friends condemning them for doing exactly what we ourselves have done and usually on much larger scales. Every war features propaganda from both sides. But pretending either side is blameless or innocent or horrible atrocities against human life is foolish. Even more now with the internet making retrieval of these things something anyone can do in just moments.

Get outta the comic books boy...in war you've gotta kill more of them then you. Are we at war? Flame throwers are cool:thup:

Define forgive. It's always possible to forgive individuals. It's probably impossible, and really bad thing to do, to "forgive" something totally evil and without excuse.

As to flame throwers and WWII, both sides were armed. It's easy to say we were "right" and they were "wrong," and I honestly believe democracy had to triumph over totalitarianism, though avoiding war through diplomacy is preferable, when possible. But, I don't think you are making any valid comparison here between Isis burning an unarmed caged prisoner, and armed combat.

Wanna try justifying "zippo raids" during Vietnam?

Wanna try justifying putting captive in a cage, soaking him in petrol and burning him to death?

Are you justifying, rape, murder, beheadings?

Wanna try justifying putting captive in a cage, soaking him in petrol and burning him to death?
We made the same point simultaneously:thup: He's justifying isis :wtf:

We seemed to forgive this didn't we, well some people still remember, but most have forgotten:

Shocking footage shows Israeli police savagely beating American teen cousin of Palestinian boy, 15, burned alive in revenge attack over death of three Jewish youths

• Mohammed Abu Khder, 16, was kidnapped and found murdered Wednesday
  • Autopsy results show he was burned to death
  • Tensions running high between Israel and Palestine after two days of violence

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681717/Israeli-police-beat-American-teen-cousin-Palestinian-boy-burned-alive-revenge-attack-death-Jewish-youths.html#ixzz3RYiUHN00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I watched but did they ever find the ones who burnt this boy to death and prosecute them? I doubt it.

I don't justify violence. That's your guys' thing. I just show how neither side has moral superiority.

I don't justify violence. That's your guys' thing. I just show how neither side has moral superiority.

But you are justifying their wrong by pointing out other wrongs. So yes, you are in effect justifying their violence.

But you are justifying their wrong by pointing out other wrongs. So yes, you are in effect justifying their violence.
I don't think it's "wrong" for individuals to do terrible things in war .... against enemy combatants. There are grey lines. Firebombing Dresden in WWII. the A-bombs. That's not to make moral judgements, but rather to say I won't judge other's beliefs on the specific actions. However, there's no comparison between burning a prisoner in a cage, and using a flame thrower to destroy a bunker containing people shooting at, and trying to kill, you.

I don't think it's "wrong" for individuals to do terrible things in war .... against enemy combatants. There are grey lines. Firebombing Dresden in WWII. the A-bombs. That's not to make moral judgements, but rather to say I won't judge other's beliefs on the specific actions. However, there's no comparison between burning a prisoner in a cage, and using a flame thrower to destroy a bunker containing people shooting at, and trying to kill, you.

"Obama's Pentagon Covered Up War Crimes in Afghanistan, Says Amnesty International
The human-rights group reports the U.S. military systematically ignored evidence of torture and unlawful killings in Afghanistan as recently as last year.

The U.S. military has systematically covered up or disregarded “abundant and compelling evidence” of war crimes, torture, and unlawful killings in Afghanistan as recently as last year, according to a report by Amnesty International published today in Kabul."
Obama s Pentagon Covered Up War Crimes in Afghanistan Says Amnesty International - The Daily Beast

" “US Practiced Torture after 9/11, Nonpartisan Review Concludes” (Apr. 16, 2013)

• “Afghans Say an American Tortured Civilians” (May 13, 2013)

• “CIA Drones Kill Civilians in Pakistan” (Mar. 18, 2011)

• “GI Kills 16 Afghans, Including 9 Children, in Attacks on Homes” (Mar. 12, 2012)

• “Libya Effort is Called Violation of War Act” (May 26, 2011)

• “NATO and Afghan forces killed 310 civilians over the same period, mostly from airstrikes, the UN reports” (Aug. 3, 2009)

• “100,000 Iraqis killed since U.S. invasion analysis says” (Oct. 29, 2004)

• “U.N. Chief Ignites Firestorm by Calling Iraq War ‘Illegal’” (Sep. 17, 2004);

• “Iraq Says Blast in Baghdad Kills Dozens of Civilians: U.S. Blamed” (Mar. 29, 2003)

• “U.S. Presses for Total Exemption from War Crimes Court” (Oct. 9, 2002)

• “Pentagon Says U.S. Airstrike Killed Women and Children” (Mar. 13, 2002)

• “Bombing Necessary Despite Toll on Civilians, U.S. Envoy Says” (Jan. 9, 2002);

• “U.S. helicopters fire on women, children in Somalia” (Sep. 10, 1993)

• “US forces buried enemy forces alive” (Sep. 13, 1991)

• “200,000 died in Gulf War, and counting” (May 30, 1991)"
Double Standards for US War Crimes Consortiumnews

How about instead of trying to depict our enemies as the bad guys, and us as the good guys we begin depicting wars as the bad guy, and peace as the good guy?

"Obama's Pentagon Covered Up War Crimes in Afghanistan, Says Amnesty International
The human-rights group reports the U.S. military systematically ignored evidence of torture and unlawful killings in Afghanistan as recently as last year.

The U.S. military has systematically covered up or disregarded “abundant and compelling evidence” of war crimes, torture, and unlawful killings in Afghanistan as recently as last year, according to a report by Amnesty International published today in Kabul."
Obama s Pentagon Covered Up War Crimes in Afghanistan Says Amnesty International - The Daily Beast

" “US Practiced Torture after 9/11, Nonpartisan Review Concludes” (Apr. 16, 2013)

• “GI Kills 16 Afghans, Including 9 Children, in Attacks on Homes” (Mar. 12, 2012)

• “NATO and Afghan forces killed 310 civilians over the same period, mostly from airstrikes, the UN reports” (Aug. 3, 2009)

• “Iraq Says Blast in Baghdad Kills Dozens of Civilians: U.S. Blamed” (Mar. 29, 2003)

• “Bombing Necessary Despite Toll on Civilians, U.S. Envoy Says” (Jan. 9, 2002);

How about instead of trying to depict our enemies as the bad guys, and us as the good guys we begin depicting wars as the bad guy, and peace as the good guy?

Damn you are stupid!

No one wants war you moron, but there comes a time when it's necessary, America has always fought for peace.

Who said good guys don't do bad shite in war? It all sucks. But soldiers doing horrible things are usually not the same thing as simply intentionally killing a helpless person by the cruelest means available. Whatever lame comparison you're trying to make aside, the US didn't gas Jews to exterminate an ethnic group, and we don't countenance putting prisoners in cages and setting them on fire.

Damn you are stupid!

No one wants war you moron, but there comes a time when it's necessary, America has always fought for peace.

Really and not for political reasons. Some of the Politicians love war, the neocons that wrote PNAC, have produced a following.

War's become a business. To claim no one likes war is patently and demonstratably false. The American corporations supplying the military with everything now from q-tips to aircraft carriers LOVE war. They make lots of money the longer they go on. And the politicians who accept campaign donations from them love it to because they get more money themselves.

Only people not especially fond of war are the ones called upon to fight them.

Forum List

Back