Warren and Schumer urge student debt cancellation of up to $50,000 for all federal borrowers

Of course they do. Destroying the value of contracts will permit an escape from one's own stupidity.

Warren and Schumer urge student debt cancellation of up to $50,000 for all federal borrowers
Universities should be the ones to cancel that debt.

But then, who would fund the democrat indoctrination centers?

Funny how everyone seems to be hurting during economic hard times, EXCEPT left wing universities around the country that keep raising tuition anyway.

Warren, Schumer and the rest of the D party want to raise taxes on the American worker to bail out their two biggest constituencies, the education cartel and irresponsible blue states who have unfunded pension plans because of their out of control government unions. Hard working people in Pa, Wis, Mich, Ohio or any other responsible state don't want to send their hard earned tax money to liberally controlled states run by irresponsible buffoons who have spent far more than they have. MAGA, putting all Americans on the same level.

Of course they do. Destroying the value of contracts will permit an escape from one's own stupidity.

Funny how everyone seems to be hurting during economic hard times, EXCEPT left wing universities around the country that keep raising tuition anyway.
Yes, if their student can't earn enough from their degree in 10 years to pay for the tuition, the university should refund the earnings shortfall to the lender.

Of course, there is a simple enough solution to this. Have employers stop demanding bachelor degrees for jobs that don't require them.

Yes, if their student can't earn enough from their degree in 10 years to pay for the tuition, the university should refund the earnings shortfall to the lender.
Interesting idea. We wouldn't be in this position if our liberal politicians didn't insist that everyone has a right to go to college, regardless if they're intellectually or emotionally qualified. But I can understand why liberals want to get as many people in their brainwashing factories as possible. Colleges condition the student to support the Democrats who have bribed them with unaffordable promises for years, and now they expect to confiscate the money from the uninvolved American worker. No thanks. MAGA

Interesting idea. We wouldn't be in this position if our liberal politicians didn't insist that everyone has a right to go to college, regardless if they're intellectually or emotionally qualified. But I can understand why liberals want to get as many people in their brainwashing factories as possible. Colleges condition the student to support the Democrats who have bribed them with unaffordable promises for years, and now they expect to confiscate the money from the uninvolved American worker. No thanks. MAGA

But who made the unaffordable promise.

The real problem is most good paying jobs REQUIRE a bachelor's degree. It's a simple matter of supply and demand, really. More people need Bachelor degrees - but the number of seats in universities hasn't increased. Demand goes up, supply stays the same, prices increase.

I worked in purchasing for many years. Most purchasing jobs require a bachelor's degree. Why? No idea. The skills you need to be good at purchasing really can't be learned at college. (My own career path was through the Army in logistics and then moving to purchasing in the civilian world.)

So in 2008, when the recession hit and they fired the buyers in my department, I was able to land a new gig in about four weeks, but the lady who had a lot more experience than I did but no degree, wasn't able to land a new gig for more than a year.

To put it in perspective. When I graduated from UIC In 1985, tuition was about $1500 a year. That would be about $4751 in today's Dollars. In my case, the Army National Guard picked up most of my tuition, but I could still pay that working minimum wage jobs working 20 hours a week.

By comparison- UIC today costs $13,574 for in state tuition. About three times what it cost then. Working a full time minimum wage job in Illinois ($8.25 an hour) would net you $17,160. Which means you would have less than $4000 to pay for food, housing, books, transportation, clothing and so on.

Now, why has pricing gone up? Part of the reason as I said was demand. part of the reason was that back in the day, most of those operating costs for state universities were picked up by the state. The State cuts funding, they have to go to the students. The students don't have the funding, they have to go to the banks.

Then when Trump fucks up the economy, you find that they can't pay these loans back. Funny how that works.

The problem is the Government is required by the statute to make a lot of stupid ass loans in the Student Loan Programs.

Loaning a young person a brick, when they have no income, no collateral and no responsible co-signers, and when they intend to use the money to get a degree in Lesbian Studies or German Polka is insane.

Loan officers need to get involved to make individual decisions as to the business plan and resources of each borrower and be able to assign an interest rate and demand collateral based upon each individual's circumstances and plans.

As a flaming liberal I am opposed to this idea of college debt being an unbearable burden. Statistic prove out that you are better off with a degree and debt than no degree at all so the use of funds to help people who will be better off than working class folk makes no sense to me. I’m going to talk to Soros.

The problem is the Government is required by the statute to make a lot of stupid ass loans in the Student Loan Programs.

Loaning a young person a brick, when they have no income, no collateral and no responsible co-signers, and when they intend to use the money to get a degree in Lesbian Studies or German Polka is insane.

Wow... you actually believe that shit, don't you?

Okay, here's a list of the top majors. Please note that Lesbian Studies is nowhere to be found.

Just give you the top Ten.

1Business and Management289,384Best Colleges for Business
2Nursing141,632Best Colleges for Nursing
3Psychology127,066Best Colleges for Psychology
4Biology120,375Best Colleges for Biology
5Engineering117,553Best Colleges for Engineering
6Education102,219Best Colleges for Education
7Communications98,949Best Colleges for Communications
8Finance and Accounting98,663Best Colleges for Accounting
9Criminal Justice63,961Best Colleges for Criminal Justice
10Anthropology and Sociology57,630Best Colleges for Anthropology

Most of those are specific majors with specific career paths...

Loan officers need to get involved to make individual decisions as to the business plan and resources of each borrower and be able to assign an interest rate and demand collateral based upon each individual's circumstances and plans.

Or maybe we just need to get the banks out of the program altogether and let the government run it, since they are the ones subsidizing the loans to start with.

Here's my solution. At age 18, everyone has to do two years of national service. Can be the military, the forest service, inner city outreach, whatever. On completion of your service, you can get a full ride to the university or trade school of your choice, providing it's a viable major and you had good enough grades. Your conduct during your service will also be a factor.

The real problem is most good paying jobs REQUIRE a bachelor's degree. It's a simple matter of supply and demand, really. More people need Bachelor degrees - but the number of seats in universities hasn't increased. Demand goes up, supply stays the same, prices increase.

I worked in purchasing for many years. Most purchasing jobs require a bachelor's degree. Why? No idea. The skills you need to be good at purchasing really can't be learned at college. (My own career path was through the Army in logistics and then moving to purchasing in the civilian world.)

So in 2008, when the recession hit and they fired the buyers in my department, I was able to land a new gig in about four weeks, but the lady who had a lot more experience than I did but no degree, wasn't able to land a new gig for more than a year.

To put it in perspective. When I graduated from UIC In 1985, tuition was about $1500 a year. That would be about $4751 in today's Dollars. In my case, the Army National Guard picked up most of my tuition, but I could still pay that working minimum wage jobs working 20 hours a week.

By comparison- UIC today costs $13,574 for in state tuition. About three times what it cost then. Working a full time minimum wage job in Illinois ($8.25 an hour) would net you $17,160. Which means you would have less than $4000 to pay for food, housing, books, transportation, clothing and so on.

Now, why has pricing gone up? Part of the reason as I said was demand. part of the reason was that back in the day, most of those operating costs for state universities were picked up by the state. The State cuts funding, they have to go to the students. The students don't have the funding, they have to go to the banks.

Then when Trump fucks up the economy, you find that they can't pay these loans back. Funny how that works.

College degrees are usually not required for bartending jobs, why did Rep. Cortez of NY bother getting an expensive degree from BU in economics?

Wow... you actually believe that shit, don't you?

Okay, here's a list of the top majors. Please note that Lesbian Studies is nowhere to be found.

Just give you the top Ten.

1Business and Management289,384Best Colleges for Business
2Nursing141,632Best Colleges for Nursing
3Psychology127,066Best Colleges for Psychology
4Biology120,375Best Colleges for Biology
5Engineering117,553Best Colleges for Engineering
6Education102,219Best Colleges for Education
7Communications98,949Best Colleges for Communications
8Finance and Accounting98,663Best Colleges for Accounting
9Criminal Justice63,961Best Colleges for Criminal Justice
10Anthropology and Sociology57,630Best Colleges for Anthropology

Most of those are specific majors with specific career paths...

Or maybe we just need to get the banks out of the program altogether and let the government run it, since they are the ones subsidizing the loans to start with.

Here's my solution. At age 18, everyone has to do two years of national service. Can be the military, the forest service, inner city outreach, whatever. On completion of your service, you can get a full ride to the university or trade school of your choice, providing it's a viable major and you had good enough grades. Your conduct during your service will also be a factor.

No, the key is to eliminate government subsidies altogether. Lenders will make better loans when they risk losing their ass if too many loans become non-performing. As far as "requiring" "service", the 13th Amendment would have to be dealt with. Drafting an Army to fight a war is one thing, but drafting young people to do suburban outreach to mow old people's lawns or provide other services for those in need isn't the same.

Most major universities are cash cows. Most with 100s $millions in cash assets.
In my opinion, it should also be illegal for colleges to build quad apartments and charge exorbitant rent, that of course, is paid by government backed student loans. Paying $800 a month for a tiny bedroom, shared bathroom and living space with 4 other students means for the size of ONE apartment - the school gets $3,200 / mo. They are making a killing, which is exactly why colleges everywhere built quad centers.

No, the key is to eliminate government subsidies altogether. Lenders will make better loans when they risk losing their ass if too many loans become non-performing. As far as "requiring" "service", the 13th Amendment would have to be dealt with. Drafting an Army to fight a war is one thing, but drafting young people to do suburban outreach to mow old people's lawns or provide other services for those in need isn't the same.

Actually, the 13th Amendment only outlaws slavery. Drafts are perfectly acceptable, and so is government service. I suppose you could craft an objection for Amish, Libertarians and other crazies, but then they don't get the benefits, either.

Here's the real reason you would fear such a program. The idea of young people being instilled with a sense of community and service to country instead of worshipping greed, that would horrify you guys on the right.

Man oh man... you really need to find a new game.
The bullshit meter has exploded once again in one of your rambling post.

Most major universities are cash cows. Most with 100s $millions in cash assets.
In my opinion, it should also be illegal for colleges to build quad apartments and charge exorbitant rent, that of course, is paid by government backed student loans. Paying $800 a month for a tiny bedroom, shared bathroom and living space with 4 other students means for the size of ONE apartment - the school gets $3,200 / mo. They are making a killing, which is exactly why colleges everywhere built quad centers.

Except that you always have the option of off campus housing that isn't owned by the university. So there's that.

No, the real reason why universities are cash cows is because you can't get a good job without a Bachelor's today. Simple supply and demand.

College degrees are usually not required for bartending jobs, why did Rep. Cortez of NY bother getting an expensive degree from BU in economics?

I wouldn't know. Maybe she worked the bartending job because the Economic jobs aren't out there.

But you just flat out lied about Lesbian Studies being a thing. Can you at least be honest about that?

I didn't know specifically about lesbian studies, but I do know that schools have "Black Studies" departments and plenty of other useless courses in their curriculums. My point is that guys who go to college and get degrees in mechanical engineering or proctology don't have problems paying the money back. OTOH, in the list you submitted, "psychology" is a leading major. How many new Bob Newharts does the country need this year? I suppose some new shrinks are needed, but not as many as are being graduated.

New Topics

Forum List

Back