Warning: Don't Buy an Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
The Instant Pot electric pressure cooker is probably a wonderful kitchen appliance -- if it works. I just got one and it worked very nicely -- twice.

I got it from Amazon. When I tried to contact Amazon about it the robot website maze presents me with one choice -- return it. This thing weighs about 35 pounds and it comes in a BIG box. The cost to ship it back to Amazon would be half as much as the purchase price ($100).

I want Amazon to do an even exchange via UPS pick-up & delivery. But there is no way to ask Amazon to do that because their website offers one option -- return it.

Bottom line: Instant Pot is a risky buy. And Amazon sucks!

Not a Prime member?? If you are and buy Prime they cover all costs. I love that. I use them a lot.

Sorry about the pressure cooker.

The Instant Pot electric pressure cooker is probably a wonderful kitchen appliance -- if it works. I just got one and it worked very nicely -- twice.

I got it from Amazon. When I tried to contact Amazon about it the robot website maze presents me with one choice -- return it. This thing weighs about 35 pounds and it comes in a BIG box. The cost to ship it back to Amazon would be half as much as the purchase price ($100).

I want Amazon to do an even exchange via UPS pick-up & delivery. But there is no way to ask Amazon to do that because their website offers one option -- return it.

Maybe fix it then? What's wrong widdit?

My electric instant water heater just quit working, apparently the switch. But it was only four bucks.

just buy a normal pressure cooker put it on the gas or electric stove and you are good .

I love Prime too! And I have a Fire as well, so I get all kinds of freebies to watch. BUT, most of all is the bit you pay annually is made up for in no time. Free shipping is awesome!

sell it to a radical muslim extremist?

If an item is defective, seller pays all shipping costs. You can ask the seller to send a prepaid label to assure you are not stiffed with shipping if you don't trust reimbursement.
Amazon has had a lot of trouble all companies have when they get to big to manage, a lot of it can be prevented by better system and protocol and management or taking sound advice listening to their customers and sellers concerns.
Techniques makes a good and inexpensive pressure cooker if you don't need easy preset food buttons.

just buy a normal pressure cooker put it on the gas or electric stove and you are good .
No fun. The Instant Pot seemed to be an interesting gadget and the one time that it worked it proved to be.

It appears to me the problem is the pressure valve consists of two parts both of which require a precise fit. Inasmuch as the parts are mass-produced it is inevitable that a percentage of them will be off by a few mms, which is all it will take for a malfunction. Based on the reviews I've read, most of which are positive, all the malfunctions are failure to seal pressure.

My electric instant water heater just quit working, apparently the switch. But it was only four bucks.
This repair will require a specially machined part -- a pressure valve.
Email
Seller(they keep it on record which helps any dispute), they might know a solution if it's a known problem or user mistake or perhaps they'll send you just the lid with valve attached and give you a label to send
your faulty lid back. Cheaper and easier for both the seller & you.

This repair will require a specially machined part -- a pressure valve.
Email
Seller(they keep it on record which helps any dispute), they might know a solution if it's a known problem or user mistake or perhaps they'll send you just the lid with valve attached and give you a label to send
your faulty lid back. Cheaper and easier for both the seller & you.

That is a good idea. You can get to the email by going into your Orders. I have done that in the past and things were always resolved to my satisfaction.

They make great IEDs

Did you do some research on electric pressure cookers before you ordered it?

It might be that all of them are bad- or it might be you got the only bad one- there really isn't anyway for you to know without doing research.

Meanwhile- here is the link to the company's return policy
Warranty Information

Did you do some research on electric pressure cookers before you ordered it?

It might be that all of them are bad- or it might be you got the only bad one- there really isn't anyway for you to know without doing research.

Meanwhile- here is the link to the company's return policy
Warranty Information
As mentioned above, I bought this item from Amazon, not directly from the manufacturer, Instant Pot.

When I attempted to contact Amazon their website presents only the option to return the item -- which weighs about 30 pounds. So, let's suppose I ordered this thing from Amazon rather than picking it up from the local Best Buy because I am physically compromised and doing that would be a hardship -- as would lugging a big heavy box to the Post Office, standing on line with it, and paying about half the purchase price to return a defective product. Would you say there is something wrong with that? I would expect that from some fly-by-night outfit that couldn't care less about customer relations but I would not expect it from Amazon, which is why I bought it from Amazon.

About eight years ago I bought a generator from Amazon. I was not at home when it was delivered and dumped on my doorstep. The shipping carton and one of its wood braces was demolished from rough handling. If I were at home when it arrived I would not have accepted it. There was visible damage to the generator inside the torn carton. I don't recall exactly how but when I contacted Amazon and explained the problem the Customer Service rep said he would arrange a pick-up order.

About a half-hour later I received a call from a woman at Amazon who said there would be no need to pick up the damaged generator, so I should just dispose of it and I had the option of a replacement or a full refund. Wow! I was impressed. I didn't want to risk having another damaged generator delivered so I opted for the refund -- and got it. That was Amazon eight years ago. Today's option is "return it" with no "contact us" access to raise hell.

It seems Amazon is trimming it's rough edges and customer satisfaction is no longer a priority.

Two words....Prime Member.

Two words....Prime Member.
Two more words -- Fuck Amazon!

Forum List

Back