Warming guru thinks democracy should be put on hold until we figure out how to deal

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
with global warming.

What a nutsack.

"One of the main obstructions to meaningful action is "modern democracy", he added. "Even the best democracies agree that when a major war approaches, democracy must be put on hold for the time being. I have a feeling that climate change may be an issue as severe as a war. It may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while."
James Lovelock: Humans are too stupid to prevent climate change | Environment | The Guardian

Actually, the record of democracies in wartime is they keep on business as usuall. The US has never skipped an election. During the civil war, there were elections, during the second world war, there were elections.

In England, they kept the same Parliament in place, but there were still elections for seats that fell vacant. Parliament still met. One of the interesting facets of the whole way things work is that Chamberlain beat back a vote of No Confidence as the Germans were racing toward Dunkirk. He was replaced because the king wanted him gone.

South Korea has been in a state of war for 60 years now. they still hold elections. Israel exists in a state of war also.

Victor Davis Hanson argues that Democracy pretty much doubles the effective fighting force of the troops.

So this guy is full of fertilizer.

with global warming.

What a nutsack.

"One of the main obstructions to meaningful action is "modern democracy", he added. "Even the best democracies agree that when a major war approaches, democracy must be put on hold for the time being. I have a feeling that climate change may be an issue as severe as a war. It may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while."
James Lovelock: Humans are too stupid to prevent climate change | Environment | The Guardian

I have long suspected that there is no genuine concern re global warming among the powers that be in the free world at this time. But since they are continuing to beat that drum anyway, the conspiracy theories that the real agenda is to put all the free world under a central global authority are looking less screwy.

And this nut hasn't done much to allieve that concern has he.

I hate to break it to him but at ninety years old the thought processes in the brain just ain't what they used to be no matter who you are.

James Lovelock, 90 founder of the Gaia Hypothesis which is now called the Gaia Theory. Lovelock called it the Gaia Hypothesis after the Greek primordial goddess of the Earth.

I have a theory, when the earth heats up and volcanoes get ready to pop if it is in an area where there is ice, the ice will melt. Heat and ice don't mix. Ice melt, ice now water, water redistributes itself as ice melt. Icelandic volcano sparks flood fears - Yahoo! News UK

I hate to break it to him but at ninety years old the thought processes in the brain just ain't what they used to be no matter who you are.

James Lovelock, 90 founder of the Gaia Hypothesis which is now called the Gaia Theory. Lovelock called it the Gaia Hypothesis after the Greek primordial goddess of the Earth.

I have a theory, when the earth heats up and volcanoes get ready to pop if it is in an area where there is ice, the ice will melt. Heat and ice don't mix. Ice melt, ice now water, water redistributes itself as ice melt. Icelandic volcano sparks flood fears - Yahoo! News UK

Wow is that like the hot/cold shit theory?
File for a grant ,Ill fudge up some whitepaper.

Actually, the record of democracies in wartime is they keep on business as usuall. The US has never skipped an election. During the civil war, there were elections, during the second world war, there were elections.

In England, they kept the same Parliament in place, but there were still elections for seats that fell vacant. Parliament still met. One of the interesting facets of the whole way things work is that Chamberlain beat back a vote of No Confidence as the Germans were racing toward Dunkirk. He was replaced because the king wanted him gone.

South Korea has been in a state of war for 60 years now. they still hold elections. Israel exists in a state of war also.

Victor Davis Hanson argues that Democracy pretty much doubles the effective fighting force of the troops.

Business as usual?

Not during WWII, it wasn't.

Wage and price freezes?

Rationing?

No legal strikes?

It is true that we had elections, but it wasn't BUSINESS as usual.

Our economy was no less controlled by the government than the economies of Hitler's Germany or Stalins USSR.

And should this nation face a serious problem due to natural catastrophy, it won't be business as usual no matter which party is in charge, either.

We may still have elections, but it won't be business as usual, depite the democratic trappings of having them.

Last edited:
with global warming.

What a nutsack.

He's the John Dingell of Warmers, he finally admits what we all know: it's about control

with global warming.

What a nutsack.

He's the John Dingell of Warmers, he finally admits what we all know: it's about control

Sure as hell seems like it, doesn't it?

with global warming.

What a nutsack.

that statement should scare the fuck out of anybody with a brian.. which leaves the left out.. :lol::lol:

It's always Earf Hour in North Korea!

N+v+S+Korea.jpg

Warning Signs: It's Always "Earth Hour" in North Korea

that statement should scare the fuck out of anybody with a brian(sic)..
--------------------------

That would seem to rule you out. Didn't even notice that he gave a nod to the skeptics?

Problem solved we figured out how to deal with global warming. Shorts and a cool drink. Next problem.

Wow is that like the hot/cold shit theory?
File for a grant ,Ill fudge up some whitepaper.
:lol::lol::lol:And this is why I really like you Mr. Fitnah. You have that special sense of understanding how these little projects work. I don't care what anyone says Mr. Fitnah you'll remain tops on my list of USMB favs. I'll have to pass on the funky paperwork as paperwork has never been my deal so we'll remain one of the poor slobs for the duration here most likely.

Business as usual?

Wage and price freezes?

Rationing?

No legal strikes?

Our economy was no less controlled by the government than the economies of Hitler's Germany or Stalins USSR.

And should this nation face a serious problem due to natural catastrophy, it won't be business as usual no matter which party is in charge, either.

We may still have elections, but it won't be business as usual, despite the democratic trappings of having them.
That special stuff was only for the regular folk. For the money grubbers and warmongers it was business as usual.

Business as usual?

Wage and price freezes?

Rationing?

No legal strikes?

We may still have elections, but it won't be business as usual, depite the democratic trappings of having them.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I was referring to the same topic as the moran quoted in the OP. Democracy is never an impediment to achieving national goals. No matter what the crisis, dumping democracy is never the answer. Unless the answer you want is dumb.

I doubt that Japanese-Americans would agree that things were 'business as usual' during WWII. Nor would German-Americans. And I don't think Muslim-American would say things were 'business as usual' during this 'war on terror'. We 'sicked' FBI agents on librarians under the Bush administration because of the WOT.

Democracies do indeed do exactly what the author described in times of war. We have the good fortune of not having been seriously threatened in a war since WWII.

New Topics

Forum List

Back