War Baby!.....Inland M1 Carbine

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this Augusta Arsenal re-arsenaled Inland Carbine today.

It's your typical mix of parts IO stock/hand-guard, no M-2 cut. 9/44 barrel, excellent bore, 6,238,xxx serial.

I suspect it's a old DCM Carbine.....A lot of AA refurbed US .mil arms went to the DCM program.

m 003 (2).JPG

m 001 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I know a guy who got an M1 Garand through CMP.

I wonder if that program is still around?

It's your typical mix of parts IO stock/hand-guard, no M-2 cut. 9/44 barrel, excellent bore, 6,238,xxx serial.

I suspect it's a old CMP Carbine.....A lot of AA refurbed US .mil arms went to the CMP.

View attachment 587089

View attachment 587090

Very nice! Definitely looks like that crappy wood they used on late-stage manufactured guns that were re-arsenaled. My SKS had the same shit wood on it. Make no mistake, I'm still jealous :)

Very nice! Definitely looks like that crappy wood they used on late-stage manufactured guns that were re-arsenaled. My SKS had the same shit wood on it. Make no mistake, I'm still jealous :)
WTF?

Nothing "crappy" about American Black Walnut there Hoss. ;)

Chi-Com SKS, AK, & Type 53 stocks are made of Chu wood from the Catalpa tree that is grown in Manchuria.

Here's a example of Chu wood on a Type-53 carbine.

t 001 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Congrads OP!

My M-1 Carbine is a Winchester. It is high on my list of SHTF weapons. I have 2K of high velocity soft point ammo in my SHTF stash.

I had a Postal Meter Carbine but gave it to my son.

Inlands are usually considered to be the best quality. Of course most of the ones we can get are arsenal refinished meaning a mix match of parts.

Congrads OP!

My M-1 Carbine is a Winchester. It is high on my list of SHTF weapons. I have 2K of high velocity soft point ammo in my SHTF stash.

I had a Postal Meter Carbine but gave it to my son.

Inlands are usually considered to be the best quality. Of course most of the ones we can get are arsenal refinished meaning a mix match of parts.
It's odd, of the five carbines I already owned none were Inland manufactured, the most common manufacturer.

I still have a Underwood in original WW-2 trim, the rest are refurbs.

I did find a Saginaw that passed through Israel's civil guard a few months back.

m_001__2__JPG-2139648.JPG
You can always tell them if the serial stamped into te stock matches the weapon's serial.

m_002__2__JPG-2139649.JPG

Suuweeet!

I've owned about 6 or 7 of the carbines over the last 60 years, but always ended up selling or trading them. Got this one last Summer at a garage sale for $120: It's a second generation Universal. The Monte Carlo stock was factory, and it had a scope mount on it. I gave up trying to shim the mount to get it on paper, and took the scope mount off.

They're a little different animal than the USGI carbines. The parts aren't interchangeable, but the magazines are. Universal carbines went to shit after the second variant like this one. There's some good load data out there if you can find 110 gr bullets. Case length is critical though. Trim them too short and you get light primer strikes. Trim them too long and it can fire out of battery and cause a kaboom.

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

carb3.jpg

I suspect it's a old DCM Carbine.....A lot of AA refurbed US .mil arms went to the DCM program.

View attachment 587089

View attachment 587090

Nice little shooter. Right now I have a legit paratrooper, a Standard products, an IP, and a IBM in my collection.

Nice little shooter. Right now I have a legit paratrooper, a Standard products, an IP, and a IBM in my collection.
I have a odd M1A1 stock set.

In the early 60s Overton was approached to make A1 stocks for M2 carbines for use by US and ARVN forces in Vietnam. Of course we were just "advisors" back then.

Anyway Overton produced A1 stocks using a mix of on-hand and newly produced parts (mainly the cast buttplate) and they were issued. All were M2 cut. I found this stock set at a yard sale. IO stamped stock and hand-guard.

If you can find one of the stock sets it's great because you can put any post-war refurb carbine in it and it will be "correct" for that era.....There's a NPM in this one.
p 003 (2).JPG

M2 Cut

p 006 (2).JPG

I have a odd M1A1 stock set.

In the early 60s Overton was approached to make A1 stocks for M2 carbines for use by US and ARVN forces in Vietnam. Of course we were just "advisors" back then.

Anyway Overton produced A1 stocks using a mix of on-hand and newly produced parts (mainly the cast buttplate) and they were issued. All were M2 cut. I found this stock set at a yard sale. IO stamped stock and hand-guard.

If you can find one of the stock sets it's great because you can put any post-war refurb carbine in it and it will be "correct" for that era.....There's a NPM in this one.
View attachment 587127

M2 Cut

View attachment 587128

Yes, I have a couple of carbine bayonets that were carried by advisors over there. One's a Kiffe, but the other is a Kinfolks, but the handle has been replaced with the plastic grips.

Yes, I have a couple of carbine bayonets that were carried by advisors over there. One's a Kiffe, but the other is a Kinfolks, but the handle has been replaced with the plastic grips.
Here's a interesting thread on molded rubber handled M4 bayonets. Of course there were Vietnam era M4s with plastic scales like the M7 bayonet. All manufactures of m4 bayonets could have got the rubber or plastic treatment when they were refurbed.

The Mystery of the Rubber Handled M4 Bayonets

New Topics

Forum List

Back