Walmart Versus U.S Economy: A Success Story

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
Some companies really know what they are doing. Walmart works smart and everybody that wants to, benefits, in many ways. :clap2: :clap2:

FYI:

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to Fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans :
Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To all 535 voting members of the Legislature,
It is now official you are ALL morons:

The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775.You have had 234 years to get it right and it is BROKE

Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right; 1$ trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" . They want MORE.

Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 44 years to get it right and they are BROKE.

Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 32 years to get it right and it is an abysmal FAILURE.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars.

AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU
CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN
HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

Newsvine - Wal-Mart vs. Government

A very interesting post. I don't know that WalMart's way of doing business is necessarily a model for how all businesses or the gov't should operate, but there's no denying they've been very successful and our gov't programs usually cost too much and aren't very effective.

I don't like Wal-Mart, but not because of the usual leftist diatribes againt them. They're parking lots are too crowded, the stores are too big and too unkempt, the line are too long...

I enjoyed it more when Sam Walton was alive, but since he died, the stores just seemed to go down in my estimation.

Other than that, they provide quality products at good prices.

I support the fact that Wal-Mart has succeeded in the Capitalist system that we have, but they are not exactly admirable.

Wake-Up Wal-Mart: The Real Wal-Mart Facts

A 2004 estimate by the U.S. House Committee on Education and Workforce found that Wal-Mart's low wages cost taxpayers up to $2.5 billion a year in the form of federal public assistance programs. ["Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay for Wal-Mart," A Report by the Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce]

In 2008, the average full time Associate (34 hours per week) earns $10.84 hourly for an annual income of $19,165. That’s $2,000 below the Federal Poverty Line for a family of four. [http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/08poverty.shtml]

In 21 of 23 states where data is available, Wal-Mart forces more employees to rely on taxpayer-funded health care than any other employer. ["Disclosures of Employers Whose Workers and Their Dependents are Using State Health Insurance Programs, Good Jobs First, June 26, 2007]

A Wal-Mart official stated that "it is common" for the company to request subsidies in "about 1/3 of all [retail] projects." This suggests that over a thousand Wal-Mart stores have received taxpayer subsidies, despite their $12 billion in profits in 2007. ["New Research Shows Wal-Mart Rigs the System to Skip Out on $2.3 Billion in State Taxes," Citizens for Tax Justice, 4/16/07]

Through a loophole in many state tax codes, Wal-Mart avoided paying $2.3 billion in state income taxes between 1999 and 2005 alone. ["New Research Shows Wal-Mart Rigs the System to Skip Out on $2.3 Billion in State Taxes," Citizens for Tax Justice, 4/16/07]

The average wage for retail workers is 10% lower than it would have been without Wal-Mart's presence. [Arindrajit Dube, T. William Lester, and Barry Eidlin, "A Downward Push: The Impact of Wal-Mart Stores on Retail Wages and Benefits," 2007]

In 2005, Wal-Mart real-estate manager Jeff Doss spoke about an oft-cited remark by company founder Sam Walton that Wal-Mart would not build stores in towns if the residents did not want them. "Were that the case," he said, "we'd never build a store anywhere". [Kenneth E. Stone, "Impact of the Wal-Mart Phenomenon on Rural Communities," 1997]

70% of the commodities sold in Wal-Mart are made in China. [China Business Weekly, November 29, 2004]

Over 80% of Wal-Mart's suppliers are based in China. ["China must tame economic dragon or face disaster" The Irish Times, 15 May 2008]

In 2007 alone, Wal-Mart directly imported approximately $32 billion in merchandise from China. That's nearly 10% of all U.S. imports from China. ["Wal-Mart to push 1,000 Chinese suppliers to adopt green agenda" Financial Times, 7 April 2008] Note: This figure does not include purchases from other name brand suppliers who also source from China. If these suppliers were included, this number would be far higher.

70% of goods on Wal-Mart's shelves come from China. [China Business Weekly, November 29, 2004]

One example of an "American supplier" is Hasbro, headquartered in Rhode Island. Today, Wal-Mart is the largest purchaser of Hasbro products—accounting for 24% of all Hasbro products or more than $900 million in sales. But Hasbro reports that "the substantial majority of our toy products are manufactured in China." [2008 Hasbro 10-K filed with the SEC ]

According to New York Times report in 2004, Wal-Mart instituted a "lock-in" policy at some of its Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores. The stores lock their doors at night so that no one can enter or leave the building, leaving workers inside trapped. Some workers reported that managers had threatened to fire them if they ever used the fire exit to leave the building. Instead, they were supposed to wait for a manager to unlock doors to allow employees to escape in an emergency. [New York Times 1/18/2004]

Government gives us lots of inflation & taxes so we must rely on Wal-Mart to deliver low cost affordable goods to keep from living an impoverished lifestyle.

Ya and I bet the guilotine operators were all goo goo and comfortable like in thier job security as they litterally drained the life blood out of Frances elite thinkers in thier revolution.

The chineezz are proud of you.

I support the fact that Wal-Mart has succeeded in the Capitalist system that we have, but they are not exactly admirable.

Wake-Up Wal-Mart: The Real Wal-Mart Facts

A 2004 estimate by the U.S. House Committee on Education and Workforce found that Wal-Mart's low wages cost taxpayers up to $2.5 billion a year in the form of federal public assistance programs. ["Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay for Wal-Mart," A Report by the Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce]

In 2008, the average full time Associate (34 hours per week) earns $10.84 hourly for an annual income of $19,165. That’s $2,000 below the Federal Poverty Line for a family of four. [http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/08poverty.shtml]

One example of an "American supplier" is Hasbro, headquartered in Rhode Island. Today, Wal-Mart is the largest purchaser of Hasbro products—accounting for 24% of all Hasbro products or more than $900 million in sales. But Hasbro reports that "the substantial majority of our toy products are manufactured in China." [2008 Hasbro 10-K filed with the SEC ]

According to New York Times report in 2004, Wal-Mart instituted a "lock-in" policy at some of its Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores. The stores lock their doors at night so that no one can enter or leave the building, leaving workers inside trapped. Some workers reported that managers had threatened to fire them if they ever used the fire exit to leave the building. Instead, they were supposed to wait for a manager to unlock doors to allow employees to escape in an emergency. [New York Times 1/18/2004]

Wow, those are some eye opening facts!

As John Cougar Mellancamp sang, "Ain't that America, for you and me..."

I don't think a lot of people will really care about all of this though, because they can get their Wonder Bread and Tide for 20 cents cheaper than at another store.

I agree Wal Mart has been much more successful than the Republican party.

Wal Mart has done it, the Republicans just keep promising to do it.

Last edited:

I don't think a lot of people will really care about all of this though, because they can get their Wonder Bread and Tide for 20 cents cheaper than at another store.

Exactly. If Wal-Mart ran the economy, the majority of products would be coming from China with the majority of workers in the U.S would be on public assistance. Who knew a so-called conservative wanted the majority of America having to rely on the government? :eusa_think:

Wal-Mart will get hit hard with the health care bill. That will take most of the so called tax payer health subsidy away from them.

They also have a name for not paying slip-and-fall claims. That earns them a powerful enemy in the plaintiff's bar.

I wonder if that isn't where most of the bullshit you read about them comes from.

Read my post above, it says nothing about them being harsh about worker comp claims. Wal-Mart gets the majority of it's products from China and they cost the American taxpayer billions a year in benefits for it's workers who do not even make a living wage.

I assume you do not support either.

Don't forget in a lot of rural areas they've driven the competition out of business with the artificially low prices they mysteriously raise once they're the only game in town. I hate Wal Mart, it's horrible to shop there. One day a cahsier even reached out and slapped my son for nothing, being a then three year old and reaching out and touching the bags. :eek:

I have a huge laundry list of complaints about Wal Mart, believe me. And all related to the shopping "experience" there. But when you're in an area where other than grocery items the choices are Wal Mart or drive an hour....let's just say the drive doesn't happen that often.

All right, vent over! :lol:

Exactly. If Wal-Mart ran the economy, the majority of products would be coming from China with the majority of workers in the U.S would be on public assistance. Who knew a so-called conservative wanted the majority of America having to rely on the government? :eusa_think:

They also have a name for not paying slip-and-fall claims. That earns them a powerful enemy in the plaintiff's bar.

I wonder if that isn't where most of the bullshit you read about them comes from.

SWEEEEET defense Dan...or should I call you "Comrade Dan"?

Thats sounds like a bit of shading of the truth there.

We have the same policy at our stores. But in an emergency of course you can use the emergency exits.

It's a safety thing, as well as a LP thing.

Don't forget in a lot of rural areas they've driven the competition out of business with the artificially low prices they mysteriously raise once they're the only game in town. I hate Wal Mart, it's horrible to shop there. One day a cahsier even reached out and slapped my son for nothing, being a then three year old and reaching out and touching the bags. :eek:

I have a huge laundry list of complaints about Wal Mart, believe me. And all related to the shopping "experience" there. But when you're in an area where other than grocery items the choices are Wal Mart or drive an hour....let's just say the drive doesn't happen that often.

All right, vent over! :lol:

A Wal Mart worker SLAPPED YOUR KID? Did you slap her back? I sure hope so!
What did you do?

We have the same policy at our stores. But in an emergency of course you can use the emergency exits.

But it's not shading the truth. Their complaint here is what I'll highlight:

Some workers reported that managers had threatened to fire them if they ever used the fire exit to leave the building. Instead, they were supposed to wait for a manager to unlock doors to allow employees to escape in an emergency.

Some workers reported that managers had threatened to fire them if they ever used the fire exit to leave the building. Instead, they were supposed to wait for a manager to unlock doors to allow employees to escape in an emergency.

sounds like fictional stories made up by employees who want to unionize wal-mart.

Workers get shit wrong sometimes.

I don't like Wal-Mart, but not because of the usual leftist diatribes againt them. They're parking lots are too crowded, the stores are too big and too unkempt, the line are too long...

I enjoyed it more when Sam Walton was alive, but since he died, the stores just seemed to go down in my estimation.

Other than that, they provide quality products at good prices.

Yes, nothing is quite Utopian there. ( that would be a government job :lol: ) I do find that our Walmart is a great place although. I do make a point of going early in the morning, to avoid crowds. Their workers are cheerful and happy, having laughter with one another. That always makes me feel good. Walmart employs many ppl that would otherwise be unemployable, also. I think the quality of a specific store depends upon the attitudes of management. When I ask the employees if they like their job, they say they do and that they are just happy to have one. :) Another positive about our Walmart, is their food/snack department is a Subway. *Woo*

Forum List

Back