Walmart to Pay Truckers $110,000, More Than Double What Average College Grad Makes

which is still not very much

If they own it and are not doing the "lease to own" that many people are forced to do since buying it out right is beyond most people. And if they are leasing to own from a trucking company they are stuck running loads for them.
Nobody is forced into lease to own. If you work for a company that no longer wants company drivers, then you quit and move to another company.

Admittedly, it's been awhile since I drove otr, but I believe that it's only a few small companies that are going all owner operator. Your major carriers will always have company driver positions.

If you keep working for the company you are leasing it from. Leave the company before the truck is paid off and you walk away with nothing.
Actually, I think you have the option to keep the truck. Most big carriers buy new trucks for the company drivers to use. Often they keep a truck for about 3 years, then they try to sell it, or, they let people who want to lease to own, buy them.

I've never done lease to own but, if the person who is buying it wants to move to another company, as long as they make their payments, it's in the original companies best interest to let them keep it, as taking it back is just another asset they have to start maintaining again, and try to put it on the market to sell. It may be that the owning company moves the lease to a note with a bank, and then you just make payments to the bank.

Or, you can walk away from it if you want. Often people do that if they decide they no longer want to be a lease operator.

Last edited:
People can lie to themselves all they want to make themselves feel better, but if you're sleeping and living out of the truck you're on the job, period.
Well yeah, technically, but it's part of the job. When you are off duty, you are off duty. The main point was, as a truck driver, you are not actually working 110 hours a week.

I do know the rules....I gave you the rules...Hell, I even admitted that you had it partially right, in that, a Driver can work longer than his 11/14, but, that any work done must be logged as on duty, not driving, which subtracts hours from his 70 hrs for the week....So, yours and Moonbats claim that drivers can work as much as they want is just simply not true...

Also, much of what you are saying in here is just plain ignorant of the job....You don't have a clue...

lol bullshit. Your cites of the rules proved me right and you wrong, Moonbat.

I'm not wrong, and I gave you the link directly from the FMCSA hours of service Q&A that spells it out...

You're not a truck driver, and it shows...

Like a lot of drivers, you don't know squat, and spend way too much time listening to talk radio.

Well yeah, technically, but it's part of the job. When you are off duty, you are off duty. The main point was, as a truck driver, you are not actually working 110 hours a week.

'Part of the job' and 'not actually working' are contradictory.

Oh, a B license? So, driving locally, never under Class A rules of service....Probably running under the 150 air mile exemption...

Nope, you still don't know what you are talking about.

I was never tempted to or desperate enough to do OTR; that's the bottom of the barrel and a sweatshop job for carnies and ex-cons. And, the same rules apply anyway, dumbass.

lol bullshit. Your cites of the rules proved me right and you wrong, Moonbat.
Well, actually, he is right. If you are working, for the company, it has to be logged as on duty.
'Part of the job' and 'not actually working' are contradictory.
Not really. When you go otr, you understand that you are going to spend every day and night in that truck, but when you are off duty, taking your 10 hour reset, you are not actually doing any work.

Well, actually, he is right. If you are working, for the company, it has to be logged as on duty.

Not really. When you go otr, you understand that you are going to spend every day and night in that truck, but when you are off duty, taking your 10 hour reset, you are not actually doing any work.

Like I said before, people can lie to themselves all they want.

People who can't get hired at McDonald's or to clean sewers go to truck driving school and get CDLs and do OTR.

Damn I wonder what happened to me? Two college degrees and I drive a truck. Of course I tried to use my degrees under Obama, making almost nothing. Under Trump I got a job within 4 months of him taking office and I'm now making double the best I ever did under Obama. Thank you DJT.

This 110 grand thing is UP TO THAT AMOUNT. First Wal Mart only hires drivers with perfect MVR's and lots of experience. Then you must meet other requirements to make 110g's a year. Very few drivers will ever actually see that number.

Damn I wonder what happened to me? Two college degrees and I drive a truck. Of course I tried to use my degrees under Obama, making almost nothing. Under Trump I got a job within 4 months of him taking office and I'm now making double the best I ever did under Obama. Thank you DJT.

This 110 grand thing is UP TO THAT AMOUNT. First Wal Mart only hires drivers with perfect MVR's and lots of experience. Then you must meet other requirements to make 110g's a year. Very few drivers will ever actually see that number.

I read where they're averaging in the upper 80 thousands for drivers. Perhaps not six figures but still pretty good money.

I fully support truckers getting paid well. It is a shitty job and the companies have all sorts of gimmicks to rope them in.

We looked into CDL classes for my son and emailed a few of the companies that do them. The "offers" they send back look simply amazing and most people just starting off in life do not know about reading the fine print.

I think truckers should be treated better than they are, they are one of the more "essential" jobs that we have. I am glad that WalMart is understanding this.

All of this also just speeds up the introduction of driverless trucks. Shortages and shortfalls drive innovation.

Even with autonomous trucks you still have to have a licensed driver in the vehicle in case something goes wrong and for an officer to discuss problems during an inspection. They can go straight but I don't think we will ever see one drive city or off the highway in our lifetime. Hell, we can't even get the autonomous cars right yet. I believe Uber is in a lawsuit now for a car that went nutso with a passenger in it that got into a serious accident. I also know that those cars would often just stop for no reason leaving the passenger to drive it to their destination.

Self-driving cars would be great because they may greatly reduce DUI accidents and deaths, trucks not so much. Since you still have to pay a driver to be on board, I simply don't see the savings there.

As I have said a couple times now.

I am glad that WalMart is realizing how important truckers are. many companies do not seem to realize this and treat them as disposable assists.

Watched an interview with a couple that drive as a team. They were made "independent contractors" by their trucking company. They grossed 120 grand, and after all the expenses involved with a big rig including buying the fuel they cleared less than 30 grand at the end of the year.

I seriously doubt that. Major carriers are always looking for local drivers where you make around $28.00 an hour plus OT and benefits. It would make no sense to work OTR for 30K a year when you can drive locally and be home every night making around 60K a year or better with no expenses at all outside of food and drink.

Years ago a former co-worker of mine finally accepted a job at Fed-Ex. They were bugging him for months to join up. Last I heard (and this was years ago) he was pulling triples from Cleveland to Dayton and back doing 60 hours a week or so. The only thing he had to do outside of driving is load and unload the three trailers before he took off which is something OTR drivers don't have to worry about too much.

Forum List

Back