Walmart fires worker over medical marijuana

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Wal-Mart worker fired over medical marijuana - Careers- msnbc.com

Excerpt:

Joseph Casias has been legally using medical marijuana to deal with the gnawing pain caused by sinus cancer and an inoperable brain tumor pressing against his skull. He says he never used it when he was on duty as an associate at a Wal-Mart in Battle Creek, Mich, and he never went to work high.

But one morning he went to work and was fired for it.

“I never thought I would be terminated for this,” said Casias, who worked for the company for five years and was a Wal-Mart associate of the year in 2008.

Pot is illegal on a federal level... beyond that companies have anti-drug policies... many companies also require disclosure on powerful prescription medications because of the drug test requirements they have.... if he had to take a drug test and failed, or had it in a legal record that he took it and that record was made available to his employer, I am all for the firing

If it's legal in the state he lives and works in, this is disheartening. I wont go so far as to say that it's wrong...because businesses should be able to contract for some level of behavior control. You want the job, you play by their rules.

Here's my problem with the situation...if they didn't give him any notice...and let him do this for an extended period of time...how is he supposed to know that something legal is against their policies. Let's cut to the chase...I'm sure there's a drug policy...but did the policy cover medical mary jane?

I think he's got the responsibility here dont get me wrong. The moment he even considered the treatment...he should have asked for a clarification...and known the consequences.

But if his manager knew...and let him do it...that seems pretty unfair to cut him out of the blue.

Medical pot is a scam.

Not if you've got sinus cancer and a painful brain tumor.
Wonder if the real reason for firing him was to avoid paying health insurance on a cancer patient?

I doubt it... odds are he was part time...

But Pot is amongst the worst thing that a cancer patient could ingest; its suppresses the immune system some FIERCE... thus leaving the individual subject to secondary infections.

Medicinal Pot is a ridiculous scam.

Medical pot is a scam.

Not if you've got sinus cancer and a painful brain tumor.
Wonder if the real reason for firing him was to avoid paying health insurance on a cancer patient?

I doubt it... odds are he was part time...

But Pot is amongst the worst thing that a cancer patient could ingest; its suppresses the immune system some FIERCE... thus leaving the individual subject to secondary infections.

Medicinal Pot is a ridiculous scam.

That's a crock of shit. It provides them pain relieve and helps overcome stomach and appetite issue caused by most cancer treatments.

I have seen some links talking about habitual use influencing immune system, but immediate? I doubt it but would love to see the study that shows that

Screw that. Even if it wasn't legal and used because of a doctor's recommendation, working at Walmart is something you can easily do while high.

Screw that. Even if it wasn't legal and used because of a doctor's recommendation, working at Walmart is something you can easily do while high.
Yep. In fact, judging from the nastiness of the average Walmart worker, they should be mandated to be high on duty just to boost their outlook and customer service skill.

Look at all these wonderful conservatives wanting to make laws about what someone else does with their own bodies.

Oh the irony. :lol:

Pot should be legal.

Perhaps, but the stuff they sell legally at dispensaries can be more expensive than illegal weed. If legalization would drive prices up, I'd actually prefer that it stay illegal.

Yep. In fact, judging from the nastiness of the average Walmart worker, they should be mandated to be high on duty just to boost their outlook and customer service skill.

For real. I usually do the "self check-out" thing when I buy something there just so I can avoid interacting with them.

And you, if you claim to love life, should be pro life.

Just shut up... you make a fool of yourself when you speak and we laugh at you.

So just to get this straight, you're not a real conservative. You're just a christian using Conservatism to justify your forcing your religion upon others. :thup:

Forum List

Back