Wal Mart Puts Christmas Back In Christmas

red states rule

May 30, 2006
With the holidays coming, the annual war on Christmas with start. However, Wal Mart has learned its lesson, and I want to share the good news

Wal-Mart wishes you a Merry Christmas
Posted 11/8/2006 11:03 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

By Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY
Wal-Mart will put "Christmas" back into the holidays this year, the retailer plans to announce Thursday.
A year after religious and other groups boycotted retailers, including Wal-Mart (WMT), for downplaying Christmas, the world's largest retail chain will have an in-your-face Christmas theme this year.

"We, quite frankly, have learned a lesson from last year," says Wal-Mart spokeswoman Linda Blakley. "We're not afraid to use the term 'Merry Christmas.' We'll use it early, and we'll use it often."

Wal-Mart told about 7,000 associates of the plans at a conference last month and "was met with rapturous applause. ... We know many of our customers will feel the same," says John Fleming, Wal-Mart's executive vice president of marketing.

Fleming says the retailer, which recently lowered prices on toys and electronics, will be pitching Christmas almost as much as "value" to holiday shoppers.

New this year:

• A TV ad trumpeting Christmas will air for the first time next week. Wal-Mart also will air TV ads along with the Salvation Army mentioning Christmas.

• The name of the department with Christmas decorating needs will change from The Holiday Shop, which it was for the past several years, to The Christmas Shop.

• Store signs will count down the days until Christmas, and Christmas carols will be piped throughout the season.

• About 60% more merchandise will be labeled "Christmas" rather than "holiday" this year over last.

The Christmas spirit is spreading. Macy's, the largest U.S. department store chain, plans to have "Merry Christmas" signs in all departments. All of Macy's window displays will have Christmas themes. At New York's Herald Square, the theme will be "Oh, Christmas Tree."

"Our intention is to make every customer feel welcomed and appreciated, whether they celebrate Christmas or other holidays," spokesman Jim Sluzewski says.

As at Wal-Mart, Macy's employees are encouraged to consider wishing customers holiday greetings that are appropriate to their race or religion, including Happy Kwanzaa or Feliz Navidad.

Sometimes, even the best intentions can backfire. The Catholic League, one of the groups fighting what it calls the Christmas Wars, says a member alerted it that Macy's was pitching a "Happy Hanukkah" gift card but not a "Merry Christmas" one.

After he was contacted by the group, Sluzewski determined a production "glitch" meant the Merry Christmas gift cards were available everywhere but in its Western region, where there were plenty of Happy Hanukkah gift cards.

"We are correcting the problem," Sluzewski says. "Of all the cards to have a glitch with."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2006-11-08-christmas-usat_x.htm

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Wow I guess that is good news. I mean Merry Christmas should be just that. Hello ACLU, who'll be the first one to whine to there sorry ass about this?

As soon as one of them sees a "Merry Christmas" sign

Politically Correct Christmas Party
Sent in by Harry Briscoe
TO: All Employees
DATE: October 01, 2003
RE: Christmas Party
I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House. There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks! We'll have a small band playing traditional carols...feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00 PM. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10.00 To make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's pockets. This gathering is only for employees! Our CEO will make a special announcement at that time! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Patty

DATE: October 02, 2003
RE: Holiday Party
In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognize that Chanukah is an important holiday, which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians or those still celebrating Reconciliation Day. There will be no Christmas tree, and no Christmas carols sung. We will have other types of music for your enjoyment. Happy now? Happy Holidays to you and your family. Patty

DATE: October 03, 2003
Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table ...you didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA Only"; you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody? Forget about the gifts exchange, no gifts exchange are allowed, since the union members feel that $10.00 is too much money and executives believe $10.00 is a little chintzy. NO GIFTS EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.

To: All Employees
DATE: October 04, 2003
What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20 begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs. Perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party or else package everything for you to take it home in little foil doggy baggy. Will that work? Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from the Dessert Buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with Gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangements for the Gay men's table. To the person asking permission to cross dress, no cross-dressing allowed, though we will have booster seats for short people. Low-fat food will be available for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food. We suggest for those people with high blood pressure to taste first. There will be fresh fruits as dessert. For Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply "No Sugar" desserts. Sorry! Did I miss anything?!?!? Patty

TO: All The Damn Employees
DATE: October 05, 2003
RE: The Damn Holiday Party
Vegetarian idiots I've had it with you people!!! We're going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so quaintly put it, and you'll get your damn salad bar, including organic tomatoes. But you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them scream right NOW! I hope you all have a rotten holiday! Drive drunk and die, The Bitch from HELL!!!!!!!!

DATE: October 06, 2003
RE: Patty Lewis and Holiday Party
I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery and I'll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon, the 23rd off with full pay. Happy Holidays! Jan Brons

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/lighterside/part265.html

why is it inappropriate to wish me a happy holiday? We all celebrate different holidays. Why is yours the only one that matters to you? Happy holidays is just polite... not PC.

Perhaps those who happen to be shopping in a department store in December could let the cashier know that they are actually shopping for Hannukah or Ramadan or Kwanzaa. Or for the secularists, nothing at all. Then the cashier can give them the appropriate greeting. Otherwise, considering that approx. 89% of this country is Christian, and the overwhelming amount of shopping being done at Christmas time is for Christmas, anyone who doesn't like it can cheerfully accept a Merry Christmas in the spirit it is given, and then move along.

And as a corollary, why, if the words Merry Christmas are so offensive, does it not bother non-Christian, secularist and atheist vendors to take all the Christmas-related $$ that is being shelled-out?

Perhaps those who happen to be shopping in a department store in December could let the cashier know that they are actually shopping for Hannukah or Ramadan or Kwanzaa. Or for the secularists, nothing at all. Then the cashier can give them the appropriate greeting. Otherwise, considering that approx. 89% of this country is Christian, and the overwhelming amount of shopping being done at Christmas time is for Christmas, anyone who doesn't like it can cheerfully accept a Merry Christmas in the spirit it is given, and then move along.

And as a corollary, why, if the words Merry Christmas are so offensive, does it not bother non-Christian, secularist and atheist vendors to take all the Christmas-related $$ that is being shelled-out?

I actually do take a "merry christmas" in the spirit it's given and I don't find it offensive. But I do appreciate it more when people wish me a happy holiday. I think it's more considerate. And I might be part of the 11%, but I guess I don't understand why Happy Holiday, which is inclusive, as opposed to exclusive, would be offensive to anyone.

I actually do take a "merry christmas" in the spirit it's given and I don't find it offensive. But I do appreciate it more when people wish me a happy holiday. I think it's more considerate. And I might be part of the 11%, but I guess I don't understand why Happy Holiday, which is inclusive, as opposed to exclusive, would be offensive to anyone.

Hi Jillian!

It wasn't offensive... until it was taken too far. Until the PC crusaders moved to try to remove ANY mention of "Christmas" from the culture at large.

It wasn't offensive... until it was taken too far. Until the PC crusaders moved to try to remove ANY mention of "Christmas" from the culture at large.

Thats it right there. Many stores had both Happy Holidays and MErry Christmas in their displays. It wasnt till the ACLU and the like threatened to sue to have them removed for being offensive to the less than 1% of the 11% that arent Christians.

When you make the majority cater to the minority then you have a recipe for disaster. Soon everyone who is offended by anything can then sue to have it removed from everyone eleses normal, daily lives. (Like what has happened over the past 20 years or so)

This is a good step in the right direction. A PRIVATE company deciding on its PRIVATE property to display what it feels its customers want to see and the government staying the hell out of the decision to do so (i.e. courts suing to change it). So far anyway. Im sure the ACLU is cooking up a law suit.

Oooooooooo GAWD!!!!! NOT THIS SUBJECT AGAIN.

Someone please just dig out last years thread, it's all be said, over an over an over.:thumbdown:

The worlds larget corporation took a big hit last year by pissing off their customers, and are saying screw the ACLU

It is worth bringing it up and letting libs know they will not ruin Christmas for the people who celebrate the season

why is it inappropriate to wish me a happy holiday? We all celebrate different holidays. Why is yours the only one that matters to you? Happy holidays is just polite... not PC.

Ok Jilly, lets be "polite" and make sure not to rub any libs the wrong way.

Politically Correct Version of 'The Night Before Christmas!'

'Twas the night before Christmas and Santa's a wreck...
How to live in a world that's politically correct?
His workers no longer would answer to "Elves"
"Vertically Challenged" they were calling themselves
And labor conditions at the north pole
Were alleged by the union to stifle the soul
Four reindeer had vanished, without much propriety
Released to the wilds by the Humane Society
And equal employment had made it quite clear
That Santa had better not use just reindeer
So Dancer and Donner, Comet and Cupid
Were replaced with 4 pigs, and you know that looked stupid!

The runners had been removed from his sleigh;
The ruts were termed dangerous by the E P A
And people had started to call for the cops
When they heard sled noises on their roof-tops
Second-hand smoke from his pipe had his workers quite frightened
His fur trimmed red suit was called "Unenlightened"

And to show you the strangeness of life's ebbs and flows
Rudolf was suing over unauthorised use of his nose
And had gone on Geraldo, in front of the nation
Demanding millions in over-due compensation

So, half of the reindeer were gone; and his wife
Who suddenly said she'd enough of this life
Joined a self-help group, packed, and left in a whiz
Demanding from now on her title was Ms

And as for the gifts, why, he'd ne'er had a notion
That making a choice could cause so much commotion
Nothing of leather, nothing of fur
Which meant nothing for him. And nothing for her
Nothing that might be construed to pollute
Nothing to aim. Nothing to shoot
Nothing that clamoured or made lots of noise
Nothing for just girls. Or just for boys
Nothing that claimed to be gender specific
Nothing that's warlike or non-pacific

No candy or sweets ... they were bad for the tooth
Nothing that seemed to embellish the truth
And fairy tales, while not yet forbidden
Were like Ken and Barbie, better off hidden
For they raised the hackles of those psychological
Who claimed the only good gift was ecological

No baseball, no football ... someone could get hurt;
Besides; playing sports exposed kids to dirt
Dolls were said to be sexist, and should be passe;
And Nintendo would rot your entire brain away

So Santa just stood there, dishevelled, perplexed;
He just could not figure out what to do next
He tried to be merry, tried to be gay
But you've got to be careful with that word today
His sack was quite empty, limp to the ground;
Nothing fully acceptable was to be found

Something special was needed, a gift that he might
Give to all without angering the left or the right
A gift that would satisfy, with no indecision
Each group of people, every religion;
Every ethnicity, every hue
Everyone, everywhere ... even you
So here is that gift, it's price beyond worth ...
"May you and your loved ones enjoy peace on earth"

http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/xmas/pc-night-before.html

Oooooooooo GAWD!!!!! NOT THIS SUBJECT AGAIN.

Someone please just dig out last years thread, it's all be said, over an over an over.:thumbdown:

Sorry, Mr. P, but Wal-Mart's 180 degree turn-about is news and relevant to many of us. As for the topic in general, when the ACLU ceases trying to stifle the free expression of the true meaning of Christmas, we can happily let the topic fade away.

Sorry, Mr. P, but Wal-Mart's 180 degree turn-about is news and relevant to many of us. As for the topic in general, when the ACLU ceases trying to stifle the free expression of the true meaning of Christmas, we can happily let the topic fade away.

Or when schools stop the discimination...............

Will it happen this year? You bet and it will be posted on this board for all to see (or those who WANT to see it) I suspect Mr P will gripe about the facts being presented; oh well MR P _ Merry Christmas!

HOLIDAY BLUES
Christmas carols banned,
but Hanukkah songs OK
District axes 'dogmatic religious statements,' yet suggesting Jewish themes more cultural

Posted: December 6, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

A statement from Liberty Counsel tells the story of Barbara Wheeler, whose 9-year-old daughter attends school in the district. In 2003, when the district's music programs excluded religious Christmas songs, Wheeler complained about their absence. School officials said they would get back to her, but they reportedly never did. Last year, Wheeler voiced complaints to the district in mid-November, but school officials said the songs already were set.

This year, when the school's music program contained Hanukkah and secular Christmas songs but no religious Christmas songs, Wheeler again objected.

That's when the mother was referred to the district's written policy:

"Music programs given at times close to religious holidays should not use the religious aspect of these holidays as the underlying motive or theme. No songs should be sung which contain dogmatic religious statements."

According to Liberty Counsel, Frances Smith, the district administrator, says the Hanukkah songs are more cultural than spiritual and thus are OK to sing.

On behalf of Wheeler, Liberty Counsel has written a demand letter to the district, stating that the school's policy is unconstitutional. Included was the law firm's Friend or Foe Christmas memo, which addresses the legality of celebrating Christmas.

The letter requests that the district immediately change its policy and include religious Christmas songs. Failure to respond favorably will subject the district to a lawsuit, Liberty Counsel says.

"The intent of the school district's policy is clear – 'Frosty the Snowman' is in, 'My Dreidel' is in, 'Silent Night' is out," said Mat Staver, Liberty Counsel president and general counsel. "How much more ridiculous can it get when 96 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas, but the school district pretends like Christmas is merely a ghost of Christmas past."

The organization's Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign urges churches to run Friend or Foe ads in their local newspapers.

Controversy over Christmas and its celebration in the public square has reached a fever pitch this year with battles raging over everything from what to call evergreen trees to whether or not retailers allow their employees to wish customers a "merry Christmas."

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Religious-liberty attorneys have contacted a Wisconsin school district that consistently forbids Christian Christmas carols from being sung in music programs but finds nothing wrong with Hanukkah songs.

According to law firm Liberty Counsel, the Glendale-River Hills School District of Glendale, Wis., has a written policy saying songs with "dogmatic religious statements" are strictly forbidden.

Or when schools stop the discimination...............

Will it happen this year? You bet and it will be posted on this board for all to see (or those who WANT to see it) I suspect Mr P will gripe about the facts being presented; oh well MR P _ Merry Christmas!

HOLIDAY BLUES
Christmas carols banned,
but Hanukkah songs OK
District axes 'dogmatic religious statements,' yet suggesting Jewish themes more cultural

Posted: December 6, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

A statement from Liberty Counsel tells the story of Barbara Wheeler, whose 9-year-old daughter attends school in the district. In 2003, when the district's music programs excluded religious Christmas songs, Wheeler complained about their absence. School officials said they would get back to her, but they reportedly never did. Last year, Wheeler voiced complaints to the district in mid-November, but school officials said the songs already were set.

This year, when the school's music program contained Hanukkah and secular Christmas songs but no religious Christmas songs, Wheeler again objected.

That's when the mother was referred to the district's written policy:

"Music programs given at times close to religious holidays should not use the religious aspect of these holidays as the underlying motive or theme. No songs should be sung which contain dogmatic religious statements."

According to Liberty Counsel, Frances Smith, the district administrator, says the Hanukkah songs are more cultural than spiritual and thus are OK to sing.

On behalf of Wheeler, Liberty Counsel has written a demand letter to the district, stating that the school's policy is unconstitutional. Included was the law firm's Friend or Foe Christmas memo, which addresses the legality of celebrating Christmas.

The letter requests that the district immediately change its policy and include religious Christmas songs. Failure to respond favorably will subject the district to a lawsuit, Liberty Counsel says.

"The intent of the school district's policy is clear – 'Frosty the Snowman' is in, 'My Dreidel' is in, 'Silent Night' is out," said Mat Staver, Liberty Counsel president and general counsel. "How much more ridiculous can it get when 96 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas, but the school district pretends like Christmas is merely a ghost of Christmas past."

The organization's Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign urges churches to run Friend or Foe ads in their local newspapers.

Controversy over Christmas and its celebration in the public square has reached a fever pitch this year with battles raging over everything from what to call evergreen trees to whether or not retailers allow their employees to wish customers a "merry Christmas."

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Religious-liberty attorneys have contacted a Wisconsin school district that consistently forbids Christian Christmas carols from being sung in music programs but finds nothing wrong with Hanukkah songs.

According to law firm Liberty Counsel, the Glendale-River Hills School District of Glendale, Wis., has a written policy saying songs with "dogmatic religious statements" are strictly forbidden.

Sub-groups of humans who have been persecuted in the past get extra privaleges in America because we think that by doing so we some how pay them back for past wrongs and those who feel racial guilt can feel atoned. It's stupid and comes at the cost of other sub-groups being discriminated against. A sure fire way to ensure angry back lashes directed at those getting the free pass for past suffering.

Because this holiday's name is "Christmas". Why call it anything else?

New Topics

Forum List

Back