Voting at 16.

blackhawk

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2012
Deep in the heart of Texas.
Majority of House Democrats and one Republican voted in favor of lowering the voting age to 16 it did not pass. This seems like more than a slightly insane idea to me it’s been a long time since I was 16 but I do remember I did not follow politics or know enough about life outside of high school to be voting and I doubt very many today do either.
Majority of House Democrats vote in favor of lowering voting age to 16 - 1010 WCSI

Majority of House Democrats and one Republican voted in favor of lowering the voting age to 16 it did not pass. This seems like more than a slightly insane idea to me it’s been a long time since I was 16 but I do remember I did not follow politics or know enough about life outside of high school to be voting and I doubt very many today do either.
Majority of House Democrats vote in favor of lowering voting age to 16 - 1010 WCSI

Did they vote on lowering the drinking age to 16?

I okunteered for my first presidential campaign when I was 12. That said, 16 is too young to vote. But perhaps 80 is too old to vote. As John Mulaney said “maybe you shouldn’t order for the table when you’re about to leave the restaurant”

From your link...

Dr. Kendi, I was shocked by how polarizing an issue this was, and listen, when I would tell people [the late Rep.] John Lewis is an original co-sponsor of this — you know, our young people deserve to have a stakeholder in our democracy,” Pressley, a member of the so-called “Squad,” said in response to Kendi, who said lowering the voting age is an example of anti-racist policy.

It shouldn’t be higher than the age at which you can go into the military. Same for voting

Not that I know of but it could be on the agenda when it comes to Congress nothing is really shocking anymore.

Agreed. Bad idea. They are clueless for the most part and cannot yet even control their hormones.

At 18 either. I think the legal voting age and the legal age for drinking or anything else should revert to 21. It is ridiculous to tell someone that they can vote for their leaders, but they can't drink an alcoholic beverage. If you are mature enough for one than you should be considered mature enough for both. This is not to imply that all 21 year olds are mature enough for either.

It shouldn’t be higher than the age at which you can go into the military. Same for voting
There is no draft. The 18 voting age argument that tied voting and military together was during the time when 18 year olds were being conscripted into the military. The draft does not exist and military service is completely voluntary. I believe the voting age should revert to 21.

At 18 either. I think the legal voting age and the legal age for drinking or anything else should revert to 21. It is ridiculous to tell someone that they can vote for their leaders, but they can't drink an alcoholic beverage. If you are mature enough for one than you should be considered mature enough for both. This is not to imply that all 21 year olds are mature enough for either.
They should raise the minimum voting age to 35, and they should have a maximum voting age of 50. Anyone younger than that is an idiot, and anyone over 50 is too close to death and retirement to consider the needs of younger people.

I don’t know...I always think of this:

1614807310922.png

If they vote at 16 then they should be allowed to buy and consume alcohol, purchase a firearm, be required to sign up for selective service or join the military, and anything else denied to someone who isn't an adult...... That also means they should be graduated and we no longer have to pay for any further schooling. If they want more schooling get a job and pay for it themselves.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:

Some liberals can write good dialogue. Even assclowns like Aaron Sorkin.

I think of the ones who were eating tide pods on a dare a few years back and more recently she was older than 16 the girl who thought a spray bottle of gorilla glue would be a good substitute for hairspray.

The physical structures in the prefrontal cortex of the human brain, the part of your brain that controls judgement, critical thinking and reasoning skills, do not fully develop until you are around 25 years old.

Sure, a profoundly gifted 10 year old child can be extremely knowledgeable and intelligent, but developing wisdom and good judgement skills takes longer.

The minimum age to be eligible to vote should be at least 25, IMO.

Last edited:
This is an oft floated and extremely asinine idea. There is a reason we classify people between minors and adults. Voting is a responsibility and people are not fully responsible for themselves until they hit legal adult status. The reasons for this are blatantly obvious and the exact same reasons apply for voting rights as well.

I do agree that it is asinine that we split that age up. Whatever age adulthood is it should be a hard line. If you are prepared to take full responsibility of yourself then clearly that includes drinking.

Democrats control the Teachers Union and therefore control the curriculum that influences little heads-full-of mush 16 year olds. Not only are 16 year olds not mature enough but, they will be indoctrinated into voting for Democrats ensuring Democrat control into the foreseeable future.

Forum List

Back