Volvo Does the Unthinkable

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
Pet Peeve of the month (at the very least):
Volvo stealing Walt Whitman's words to sell their overpriced, "swell" cars. That dear man would not like the elite buy-in here, and I HATE his great words being subverted to selling cars in -- of all the undignified things-- a television commercial!
He might find the guy interesting, though.

For the sake of all that's good, don't buy that Volvo!

I had two Volvos. First one was great. Newer one was a piece of shit. And they called that progress. Could have been worse....they managed not to use Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electricals.

Volvo is stealing the words of a meth dealer tv character? How classy.

My wife loves Whitman

s7n//2Q==
9188ucWgynL._SX355_.jpg

Volvo stealing Walt Whitman's words to sell their overpriced, "swell" cars. That dear man would not like the elite buy-in here, and I HATE his great words being subverted to selling cars in -- of all the undignified things-- a television commercial!

My favorite car sales statement came from the head cheese at Fiat-Chrysler. He held a press conference and begged consumers NOT to buy their all-electric vehicles. !!!! Because he lost a wad of cash on each one he sold.

The unspoken truth there was -- They only MADE electric versions to get their "fleet mileage" above EPA limits. And because of general govt incompetence in making stuff work without SEVERE side effects, he was telling the truth that the "law" required he OFFER them for sale, but never bookkept any numbers of those actually sold. :badgrin:

Volvo always positions themselves as a "luxury class" car. I thought so also when I had a Volvo station wagon in Cali. (HEY !! It was California -- not the real me. :biggrin:) That is ---- until I replaced it with a BMW wagon which genuinely IS a luxury car.:biggrin: Will never part with that one. Even IF I can't get parts for it anymore...

My favorite car sales statement came from the head cheese at Fiat-Chrysler. He held a press conference and begged consumers NOT to buy their all-electric vehicles. !!!! Because he lost a wad of cash on each one he sold.

The unspoken truth there was -- They only MADE electric versions to get their "fleet mileage" above EPA limits. And because of general govt incompetence in making stuff work without SEVERE side effects, he was telling the truth that the "law" required he OFFER them for sale, but never bookkept any numbers of those actually sold. :badgrin:

Volvo always positions themselves as a "luxury class" car. I thought so also when I had a Volvo station wagon in Cali. (HEY !! It was California -- not the real me. :biggrin:) That is ---- until I replaced it with a BMW wagon which genuinely IS a luxury car.:biggrin: Will never part with that one. Even IF I can't get parts for it anymore...

BMWs are pure class and excellent German engineering.

I had two Volvos. First one was great. Newer one was a piece of shit. And they called that progress. Could have been worse....they managed not to use Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electricals.

Reeeeely. I too had two Volvos, due to inability to learn from first example. It too (first one) used Lucas electricals, although it was the less-lemony of the two. The electricals were never the issue.

Looked like this...
1965_sanmarcos-ca-500x375.jpg

Reeeeely. I too had two Volvos, due to inability to learn from first example. It too (first one) used Lucas electricals, although it was the less-lemony of the two.

Looked like this...
that's ugly as fuck!

Reeeeely. I too had two Volvos, due to inability to learn from first example. It too (first one) used Lucas electricals, although it was the less-lemony of the two.

Looked like this...
that's ugly as fuck!

Italian design. :dunno:

Looked pretty distinctive in 1962. Lotta people thought I was driving a Karmann Ghia.
When they said that I ran 'em over.

Didn't hold up well but it was fun to drive.

Volvos are certainly luxury cars. And they have a far superior record of reliability and longevity than any German car maker.

Reeeeely. I too had two Volvos, due to inability to learn from first example. It too (first one) used Lucas electricals, although it was the less-lemony of the two. The electricals were never the issue.

Looked like this...
That's a P1800, correct? There are still some on the road with over 1 million miles.

Forum List

Back