Volkswagen id.r Super ELECTRIC Car

I am in no way a fan electric cars. They have been around since the late 1890's, and there were several companies producing them for the next 3 decades until they finally folded due to low sales.

Electric cars still have the same basic limitations electric cars had 100 years ago. High purchase price, limited range, expensive to replace the batteries, terrible used car resale, difficult to find charging stations outside of the city, and excessive battery charging time. ... :cool:
In addition to limited range the time it takes to recharge the battery, get it down to the same time it takes fill your tank and you will see sales improve

I am in no way a fan electric cars. They have been around since the late 1890's, and there were several companies producing them for the next 3 decades until they finally folded due to low sales.

Electric cars still have the same basic limitations electric cars had 100 years ago. High purchase price, limited range, expensive to replace the batteries, terrible used car resale, difficult to find charging stations outside of the city, and excessive battery charging time. ... :cool:
In addition to limited range the time it takes to recharge the battery, get it down to the same time it takes fill your tank and you will see sales improve
That VW ID.R only takes a 1/2 hour to fully recharge. I drive 60 miles a day. With the ability to charge at home while snoozing it would not be a problem.

Such a pessimist.
Listing the limitations of a piece of technology isn't being pessimistic.

My background is in mechanical engineering.

So I judge equipment on functionality, reliability, ergonomics, and cost effectiveness. ... :cool:
The OP is all about a super fast vehicle. Most of your replies are your pessimistic viewpoint on how EV's suck.

… such was the success of the first venture that many must now be optimistic where most were pessimists at the beginning of the year and for several years before.— Francis Byrne

That VW ID.R only takes a 1/2 hour to fully recharge. I drive 60 miles a day. With the ability to charge at home while snoozing it would not be a problem.

Still about 20 minutes too long

Last year I drove to Dallas, Texas to attend a wedding and stayed at a Hilton Inn right off the Interstate.

Just outside of the front lobby was 5 charging stations for electric cars that I walked by several times. There was always 2 or three electric cars plugged in to the chargers, and the drivers were kicked back either reading a book or taking a nap while waiting for their car's batteries to charge. So they could get back on the Interstate and continue their trip.

Electric cars may be good for in town driving, but they must really suck for long trips. ... :cool:

Last year I drove to Dallas, Texas to attend a wedding and stayed at a Hilton Inn right off the Interstate.

Just outside of the front lobby was 5 charging stations for electric cars that I walked by several times. There was always 2 or three electric cars plugged in to the chargers, and the drivers were kicked back either reading a book or taking a nap while waiting for their car's batteries to charge. So they could get back on the Interstate and continue their trip.

Electric cars may be good for in town driving, but they must really suck for long trips. ... :cool:
I drive to Sacramento a few times a year. Every hour I stop at a rest stop. If I was driving an EV, charging every other stop would be ok with me.

"When Congress passed the law that enabled the interstate highway network in 1956, it banned almost all economic activity at rest stops, including anything that aided motorists. That was the result of lobbying from businessmen near the highway who worried that the rest stop would be an irresistible draw. They surmised that the government would establish concessions that would pad the government's bank accounts, and freeze private enterprise out."

I drive to Sacramento a few times a year. Every hour I stop at a rest stop. If I was driving an EV, charging every other stop would be ok with me.
Yikes!! It must take you a long time to drive long distance.

As for me, I'll drive 12 to 14 hours straight, only stopping 5 minutes for gas, before getting a hotel room for the night. ... :cool:

Yikes!! It must take you a long time to drive long distance.

As for me, I'll drive 12 to 14 hours straight, only stopping 5 minutes for gas, before getting a hotel room for the night. ... :cool:
I used to do similar to that 25 years ago. I worked in Davis, lived in Sac, and drove home to Ventura every other
weekend. I used to drive a Colt GTS Turbo back then.

1585191826305.png

Wow! I'm really surprised by this thread! I thought electric cars were all slower than petrol cars! :omg:
Not at all. They are more than capable of the speeds attained by the cars with ancient technology under the hood. Plus, electric motors need very little maintenance, don't pollute, last years longer, make much less noise, don't need transmissions and can be left for long periods without deterioration. For these reasons and more, they are opposed by auto makers, oil companies and the legislators who work for them. That also explains those who rant against them, as well as the negative publicity.
By the way, hope you're well.
Hi there4eyeM :hhello:
I feel ok thanks! Hope you're well too :)
Thank you, "Dear Heart". I'm in good health and spirits, getting in a few kilometers per day on the permitted exercise outings here. Things are calm as we wait out this 'storm'.
Take care.
:smiliehug:
I don't deserve it!
No no you deserved it! :smile:

Forum List

Back