Volcker rule strengthened thangod 12/9/13

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
thangoodness. Those people's orgy of greed is what helped crater the economy in 2008. Well Wall St fluffers? What say you?

U.S. regulators seek to curb Wall St. trades with Volcker rule | Reuters
"What we have on paper now is a fairly aggressive regulatory posture from the banking agencies, but it remains to be seen how aggressively it will be implemented and enforced," said Kevin Petrasic, a regulatory lawyer at Paul Hastings in Washington.

Better Markets, an often vocal pressure group critical of large banks, reacted positively to the final rule, calling it a "major defeat for Wall Street".

Last edited:
Regulation doesn't make a damned bit of difference when the federal reserve is the root cause of economic downturns via monetary stimulation and artificially held interest rates boosting M2.

Money is cheap and when the interest rates go up, nothing will stop another downturn. Although, it will be interesting to see just how low we can go when it comes to "downturn" at this point.

In the final wording, banks could still engage in market making and take on positions to help clients trade, but their inventories should not exceed "the reasonably expected near-term demands of customers", the regulators said.

The regulators also seek to put an end to portfolio hedging, a practice in which banks entered all kinds of trades that were supposed to hedge risk elsewhere in the business but that could be used as veiled speculation.

"The rule would prohibit 'macro-hedging' that has caused large speculative losses at institutions in the past," Martin Gruenberg, the head of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC), said in a statement.

This new regulation only helps banks and will do nothing to spare individual market actors from losing their ass when the federal reserve finally yanks the rug out again. This is literally a "we're going to help banks hedge so they will be padded the next time we fuck shit up."

Thank goodness, right?

:lmao:

LOLberals are completely economically inept.

^ ummm..... maybe in Randianworld higher reserve capital req'ts are a bad thing. :tinfoil:

Forcing them to keep adequete reserves to cover their zany bets is a good thing in grown-up world.

Last edited:
^ ummm..... maybe in Randianworld higher reserve capital req'ts are a bad thing. :tinfoil:

Forcing them to keep adequete reserves to cover their zany bets is a good thing in grown-up world.

That's not what this does at all.

Like I said before.

Actually, nubskull, I both quoted and made statements regarding the OP. Something you haven't managed to do in the two posts you laid down here.

Are you fuckin' stupid? Dont ansewer that. It's rhetorical.

Like I said before.

oh. You're right. This is simply another part of it:

The final rule includes strictly defined carve-outs for trades executed to serve clients' interests or to protect against market risks, and forces banks to show regulators that they are not trying to pass off speculative bets as legitimate trades.

In the final wording, banks could still engage in market making and take on positions to help clients trade, but their inventories should not exceed "the reasonably expected near-term demands of customers", the regulators said.

Last edited:

Like I said before.

oh. You're right. This is simply another part of it:

The final rule includes strictly defined carve-outs for trades executed to serve clients' interests or to protect against market risks, and forces banks to show regulators that they are not trying to pass off speculative bets as legitimate trades.

I've tried explaining monetary operations to TakeAStepBack seventeen times in total. I've come to realize it's a pointless endeavor. :eusa_shifty:

Back to the op. I really would like to see Glass-Steagall brought back into the picture. We also need to deal with control fraud, which is one of the bigger problems on Wall Street.

^
yes, TakeAStepBack reminds me of another bloviating poster of the past who shall remain unnamed ;)

Regulation doesn't make a damned bit of difference when the federal reserve is the root cause of economic downturns via monetary stimulation and artificially held interest rates boosting M2.

Money is cheap and when the interest rates go up, nothing will stop another downturn. Although, it will be interesting to see just how low we can go when it comes to "downturn" at this point.

Again, for the 5,567th time, the FED controls the interest rate all along the term structure. They will allow for some variations between the IOR rate and discount rate. There's no such this as "artificial interest rates" under a fiat monetary system. The natural rate of interest is actually zero when we think about it. We're no longer on a gold standard, amigo.

For the 3rd time, QE isn't inflationary expansion, it's an asset swap with zero increases in net financial assets. I've explained this to you in painstaking detail, yet you continue repeating these absurd things which have ZERO basis in reality.

Last edited:
And yet, the Volcker rule has nothing to do with higher reserve capital reqs. Nothing.

And I do not need any explanation on how monetary policy works in the US. Especially not from someone who attempts sophistry and deceit to try and circunvent economic law.

Again, for the 5,567th time, the FED controls the interest rate all along the term structure. They will allow for some variations between the IOR rate and discount rate.

For the 3rd time, QE isn't inflationary expansion, it's an asset swap with zero increases in net financial assets. I've explained this to you painstaking detail, yet you continue repeating these absurd things which have ZERO basis in reality.

I do not need your fucking explanation, Dullard. I know how it works. Your attempt to act as though the federal reserve isn't touching the monetary base by making purchases out of thin air, is deceitful. We've been over this and no matter how many times you attempt to avoid the issue of the federal reserves balance sheet when buyiing shit out of thin air, will not change what it really is.

So please, spare the game of repeater. I do not have any use for the bullshit you present.

Again, for the 5,567th time, the FED controls the interest rate all along the term structure. They will allow for some variations between the IOR rate and discount rate.

For the 3rd time, QE isn't inflationary expansion, it's an asset swap with zero increases in net financial assets. I've explained this to you painstaking detail, yet you continue repeating these absurd things which have ZERO basis in reality.

I agree :rofl: Why does TakeAStepBack think he's USMB's rw economist :dunno:

As to the OP, its better than what we used to have. Wonder if Repubs blocked it every step of the way :eusa_whistle:

I do not need your fucking explanation, Dullard. I know how it works. Your attempt to act as though the federal reserve isn't touching the monetary base by making purchases out of thin air, is deceitful. We've been over this and no matter how many times you attempt to avoid the issue of the federal reserves balance sheet when buyiing shit out of thin air, will not change what it really is.

So please, spare the game of repeater. I do not have any use for the bullshit you present.

You don't have a clue. The fact you refer into an increase in the money supply as inflationary is telling.

Secondly, the FED can INDEFINITELY continue to expand its balance sheet if it so chooses.

With a fixed exchange/convertible currency, base $$$$ doesn’t include government sector securities as obligations that are claims on government reserves (gold, fx,) which are part of aggregate national savings.

On the other hand, with our floating exchange rate/non-convertible fiat, US Treasury Securities (held outside of the government sector) are considered an addition to base $$$$, as the notion of a decrease in government reserves (gold, fx,) cannot be applied to a non-convertible, fiat currency.

We can define base $$$$ as money in circulation and balances in Federal Reserve accounts. And these balances at the FED comprise bank reserves accounts and Treasuries (dollar deposits). We can also include government sector guaranteed debt as well.

Base $$$$ can be defined as the total net financial assets of the non-government sector. As I explained, this is why QE is little more than asset swap and accounting adjustment. It’s a tax of sorts which removes income from the economy.

Last edited:

Expect this as my response to you going forward. Nothing else needs to be said. You're fuckin' drunk on central planning stupidity.

Forum List

Back