Vocational schools become the latest front in the battle for educational equity

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
As a middle schooler in Worcester, Priscilla Sanchez had typically fuzzy notions about the sort of career she might one day pursue; options ranging from forensics to cosmetology appealed to her. Either way, Sanchez dreamed of going to the city’s vocational high school, where she knew she could build a career without going to college.

Sanchez was a bright student, but her record wasn’t perfect: A fight in middle school had led to a suspension. But teachers had told her she was smart and encouraged her to apply to the highly sought after Worcester Technical High School.

When Sanchez didn’t hear back, she blamed herself.
Vocational schools become the latest front in the battle for educational equity - The Boston Globe

Ok, so at issue in the 70s was tracking kids. 2020 and still tracking kids. I live in an area where vo-tech is for those that don't want to go to college and they have decent programs. I have seen states where the concept of vo-tech was exploited so people were paying some $30,000 for a program they could walk off the street and not have to do anything for.

Plumbers, electricians, carpenters and other trades will always be in demand.

Women's Studies and Medieval English Poetry? Not so much.

We have to suffer the pendulum swings over and over, don't we? I'm super glad that vo-tech is finally being respected again, at least partly because it will hopefully cut back on trying to make a college student out of every child in public education. Many--most--are not really cut out for a Bachelors or Masters degree but they also should have an opportunity to learn a trade that will earn them a decent living.

I'm not going to subscribe - so, I'll just comment on your comment. The times they are a changin

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

New Topics

Forum List

Back