Virginia House bill would reverse law limiting minor traffic stops

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
RICHMOND, Va. — A Senate committee could debate a bill that would reverse a policing law intended to reduce racial profiling.

The General Assembly in 2020 passed a law along party lines to end pretextual policing, or the practice of stopping someone for a minor traffic violation. Such traffic stops are made for broken tail lights, tinted windows, or objects hanging from the rearview mirror. The law also bans police from searching a vehicle based on the smell of marijuana.

These stops often lead to officers conducting investigations unrelated to the reason for the stop, according to the criminal justice reform group Justice Forward Virginia.

Del. Ronnie Campbell, R-Rockbridge, introduced House Bill 79. He said in a House committee meeting that the bill would make Virginians safer. For example, the bill would prevent people from driving with broken tail lights, which can cause accidents. He also said the legislation could lead police to catch fugitives, including serial killers. He listed a few high-profile killers who were apprehended over the years — outside of Virginia — during stops for minor traffic offenses.

LOL....I don't suspect this will hurt blacks near as much as the Hispanic "recent immigrants" that are still driving those old Accords, Camrays, and various work trucks that were parked two decades ago around that are held together with bailing wire and duct tape. ;)

If the illegals would keep up with tagging the vehicles that would help.
In a way you have to admire their zeal in getting those old cars and trucks (more or less) road worthy. At least they are using them to go to work but I do cringe a bit when I see one on a weekend crammed to the gills with a family.

In a way you have to admire their zeal in getting those old cars and trucks (more or less) road worthy. At least they are using them to go to work but I do cringe a bit when I see one on a weekend crammed to the gills with a family.
Reminds me of a lot of American families through the sixty years I have lived.

All pensions must be taxed in a progressive way. From one per cent of the first 10/15 thousand dollars to 10 per cent of hundred thousand dollars and rising higher as the pensions rise. Many pensions are from privilege of job employment and not from actual abilities that was from the white era with some morons of privilege and now the diverse moron era of quotas which as we see is worse.
Sounds rather communistic there Marx.

Common Sense: Police, who spend their entire careers dealing with Bad Guys, can often spot Bad Guys preparing to do Bad Things. So they look for a pretext to accost the Bad Guys and investigate further. This is what was formerly called, "good policing." Those pretexts are often auto related, such as a broken taillight, darkly shaded windows in a car, expired registration, etc. Again, "good policing."

Statistics show that Young Black Males are much more often counted in the category of Bad Guys than their percentage of the population would predict. Hence, police will stop them to investigate in numbers far exceeding their portion of the population. And occasionally, a completely innocent Black Guy gets stopped and accosted. More often a Bad Guy is accosted but the police are unable to find any evidence of wrongdoing, and he is allowed to go on his way.

Leftists just LOVE Bad Guys, so over time they have sold the false narrative that these stops by police are harmful to the general population, which is not only untrue, but the opposite of true; they benefit the general population by preventing crimes.

Part of my white privilege is the fact that I was able to move my sorry ass out to the lily-white suburbs where none of this affects me personally. I am thankful for that.

Common Sense: Police, who spend their entire careers dealing with Bad Guys, can often spot Bad Guys preparing to do Bad Things. So they look for a pretext to accost the Bad Guys and investigate further. This is what was formerly called, "good policing." Those pretexts are often auto related, such as a broken taillight, darkly shaded windows in a car, expired registration, etc. Again, "good policing."

Statistics show that Young Black Males are much more often counted in the category of Bad Guys than their percentage of the population would predict. Hence, police will stop them to investigate in numbers far exceeding their portion of the population. And occasionally, a completely innocent Black Guy gets stopped and accosted. More often a Bad Guy is accosted but the police are unable to find any evidence of wrongdoing, and he is allowed to go on his way.

Leftists just LOVE Bad Guys, so over time they have sold the false narrative that these stops by police are harmful to the general population, which is not only untrue, but the opposite of true; they benefit the general population by preventing crimes.

Part of my white privilege is the fact that I was able to move my sorry ass out to the lily-white suburbs where none of this affects me personally. I am thankful for that.
Yeah, it was just something else the dems passed during the brief but damaging period they held both houses of the legislature and the governor's office.

Damn shame so much time has to be wasted on reversing their follies.

Cops do racial profiling of blacks.

They racial profile anyone that is most often the cause of crime in their area. So say if you're an officer in a city where crime is predominantly comitted by blacks then you'll eyeball blacks most often, and another city where it's mostly Mexicans you'll profile them, whites you watch them and so on. Around me it's mostly whites and 9 out of 10 times I see a cop with someone pulled over it's a white dude in a beat rusted out shit box of a car and if it's a black person they are also driving a piece of shit

Profiling isn't cops being racist. It's cops seeing a type of person most commonly that's going to cause problems. Everyone profiles everyone all the time, we just don't admit it.

If I see a black dude wearing a nice suit that walks upright, speaks well and is friendly I am going to assume he is less likely to smoke some crack and steal than a black dude with half his ass out of his pants, walks like a gimp, can't hardly speak decent English and smells like a joint. And I'd be right 99% of the time.

Bottom line is blacks give themselves a bad image. At some point they have to realize their perception is due to their own action. If you look and act like a dope head thug you're going to be treated like one and if they don't want to get in trouble then they shouldn't cause trouble.

I don't think that "Black" skin is the trigger for cops. What is the person doing? How is he dressed? With whom is he associating? How does he carry himself? How does he react when approached by police? All of these things give indicia of criminal or non-criminal tendency.

Good policing.

Forum List

Back