Virginia AG's risky climate science investigation

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
Virginia AG's risky climate science investigation - Capital Weather Gang

Cuccinelli's investigation has the potential to dramatically curb scientific research at U. Va. and elsewhere. If scientists fear they will be investigated if the attorney general dislikes their research results (Cuccinelli is known to be skeptical of the widely held scientific view that human activities are warming the climate), they may refrain from conducting potentially controversial research.

Well, if there were threats of investigations maybe researchers would be a little more honest and less manipulative about what their results are. Personally, I think the global warming business is a crock. Weather is cyclical. Hell, in my lifetime alone the "experts" have gone from predicting an eminent global ice age to predicting an eminent global warming meltdown of the planet.

No one's more manipulative than the people that deny AGW. They have to throw aspersions at the scientists and twist the meaning of what they have to say, because they've basically lost the scientific argument and all they have is the political angle. What's so hard to understand about the rise in CO2 over the last ~200 years? The fact that it absorbs infra-red radiation is easily demonstrated in the lab. Therefore, if the trend continues, how can we exprect anything but warming? It's the deniers that are a "crock", because they never completely answer this question, preferring to distract us with talk of volcanoes and dinosaurs!

strawman.jpg

RAAARRRR!!

No one's more manipulative than the people that deny AGW. They have to throw aspersions at the scientists and twist the meaning of what they have to say, because they've basically lost the scientific argument and all they have is the political angle. What's so hard to understand about the rise in CO2 over the last ~200 years? The fact that it absorbs infra-red radiation is easily demonstrated in the lab. Therefore, if the trend continues, how can we exprect anything but warming? It's the deniers that are a "crock", because they never completely answer this question, preferring to distract us with talk of volcanoes and dinosaurs!

What were we doing back in my youth to bring on the predictions of another ice age?

And Republicans wonder why they are labeled as "anti-science."

Virginia AG Cuccinelli Out To Kill Academic Freedom, by Barkley Rosser: Friday's WaPo reports that Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, following up on his efforts to end efforts by state universities and colleges to avoid discriminating against GLBT folks, has decided to interfere directly in scientific research in a criminal way. In particular, Cuccinelli is claiming that climate scientist, Michael Mann of hockey stick fame, engaged in billing fraud with the state while working on this subject while a professor of environmental sciences at the University of Virginia, where he has not been located for some years (now at Penn State). Cuccinelli is demanding all kinds of emails and other materials from the university, apparently attempting to imitate the climategate gang that did this over at East Anglia, only to end up with no fraud being discovered.

I think that some of the critics of Mann's work were correct, but this is an outrage. There is no evidence at all of fraud (and those claiming the email in which he spoke of using a "trick" as evidence for this do not understand or are willfully misrepresenting how this term is used in these situations) on his part, whatever errors he may have made in his study of the hockey stick (and it really does not matter exactly what the temperature was 1000 years ago; I have posted on this here previously). ...

Richard's Real Estate and Urban Economics Blog: Virginia AG Cuccinelli is not only trying to kill Academic Freedom, he is trying to kill America's economic advantage

There is, however, evidence that Mann has been involved in stalling FOIA requests and attempts to blackball those who don't fall in line with the AGW fundie orthodoxy.

Holding suspect those who have abused their standing as scientists is not "anti-science" in any way.

Virginia AG's risky climate science investigation - Capital Weather Gang

Cuccinelli's investigation has the potential to dramatically curb scientific research at U. Va. and elsewhere. If scientists fear they will be investigated if the attorney general dislikes their research results (Cuccinelli is known to be skeptical of the widely held scientific view that human activities are warming the climate), they may refrain from conducting potentially controversial research.

The AG of virginia is doing his job thats good... If there is a warranted case than so he should do his job.... Good for him...

This last one "climategate" and his previous "Hockeystick graph" are enough to warrant an investigation at least.... Personally I think you deliberately lie or mislead people using false science, especially from a position of authority, you are a traitor to humanity and should be tried for treason...

I think this is the most delusional comment I have read in quite a while:rofl::rofl::rofl: Thanks for the laugh!

The only people who are anti-science are the fraudsters falsifying data, ignoring FOIA requests, preventing dissenting opinions from being published in scientific journals and taking tax monies from the citizens of the world under fraudulent pretenses...and who would they be?....Why Jones, Hansen, Mann, and a hole host of others of course and I would bet my lifes savings that they are all demorats.!
And Republicans wonder why they are labeled as "anti-science."

Virginia AG Cuccinelli Out To Kill Academic Freedom, by Barkley Rosser: Friday's WaPo reports that Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, following up on his efforts to end efforts by state universities and colleges to avoid discriminating against GLBT folks, has decided to interfere directly in scientific research in a criminal way. In particular, Cuccinelli is claiming that climate scientist, Michael Mann of hockey stick fame, engaged in billing fraud with the state while working on this subject while a professor of environmental sciences at the University of Virginia, where he has not been located for some years (now at Penn State). Cuccinelli is demanding all kinds of emails and other materials from the university, apparently attempting to imitate the climategate gang that did this over at East Anglia, only to end up with no fraud being discovered.

I think that some of the critics of Mann's work were correct, but this is an outrage. There is no evidence at all of fraud (and those claiming the email in which he spoke of using a "trick" as evidence for this do not understand or are willfully misrepresenting how this term is used in these situations) on his part, whatever errors he may have made in his study of the hockey stick (and it really does not matter exactly what the temperature was 1000 years ago; I have posted on this here previously). ...

Richard's Real Estate and Urban Economics Blog: Virginia AG Cuccinelli is not only trying to kill Academic Freedom, he is trying to kill America's economic advantage

Forum List

Back