Viral Ed

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Here we go:

Schools are starting to close in response to this virus thing. The consequences for children’s education and the many many details about completing the rest of the academic year will be great. Some very quick thinking and new approaches may be called for right away.

Poorer families don't have internet and computers......how can they work online when they don't have it?

And there is more. For many families we are both the mother and father work, having their kids home from school an extended time represent the expense and difficulty in terms of daycare or some means of supervising younger children that some families out of Florida. And then for families who are very much on the lower end of the economic scale, school maybe where children get both breakfast and lunch on a regular basis. In some cases the only meals they have every day. And also, some students receive special education or even physical therapy services at their schools. If these are needed services that cannot be accessed while the schools are closed, that’s a big problem.

Poorer families don't have internet and computers......how can they work online when they don't have it?

And there is more. For many families we are both the mother and father work, having their kids home from school an extended time represent the expense and difficulty in terms of daycare or some means of supervising younger children that some families out of Florida. And then for families who are very much on the lower end of the economic scale, school maybe where children get both breakfast and lunch on a regular basis. In some cases the only meals they have every day. And also, some students receive special education or even physical therapy services at their schools. If these are needed services that cannot be accessed while the schools are closed, that’s a big problem.
Some of what you say is valid. Others aren't. If the only meals they get are at school what are they getting food stamps for? Students whop need physical therapy while at school are usually housed in special schools which probably wouldn't be affected.

Cable TV reform is needed. Make many stations ala carte. Perhaps families can eliminate the sports channels and pay for the internet as an example. And so many other channels to eliminate. Unless of course you want to pay for them.

...Students whop need physical therapy while at school are usually housed in special schools which probably wouldn't be affected.

That is not correct.

Here we go:

Schools are starting to close in response to this virus thing. The consequences for children’s education and the many many details about completing the rest of the academic year will be great. Some very quick thinking and new approaches may be called for right away.

Children: the one group of people at lowest risk of dying from a virus they stand little chance of getting anyway, now made the new political football out of fear of lawsuits and legal ramifications at the kid's expense. But I bet not one teacher loses a dime.

Some of what you say is valid. Others aren't. If the only meals they get are at school what are they getting food stamps for? .....

You don’t understand the circumstances some of these kids live under.

Here we go:

...I bet not one teacher loses a dime.

Do you want them to?

Here we go:

Children: the one group of people at lowest risk of dying from a virus they stand little chance of getting anyway....

Do you have young children?

Here we go:

Children: the one group of people at lowest risk of dying from a virus they stand little chance of getting anyway....

I do.

I would be glad to have my girls get their education online in my home, with real teachers at the other end helping the students along.

It inevitable anyway, might as well get started now......

Here we go:

I do.

I would be glad to have my girls get their education online in my home, with real teachers at the other end helping the students along.

It inevitable anyway, might as well get started now......

Congratulations, it's happening.

1. Now we have the Big Cultural Reset where we discover what is parent's jobs and what is school's job. Because that has needed to happen for a very long, long time.

2. Yes, I have seen the "Muh Kid's IEP" discussion online for about a week now. I am not insensitive to it, and I understand, but what are you going to do? Sue the virus?

Here we go:

Children: the one group of people at lowest risk of dying from a virus they stand little chance of getting anyway, now made the new political football out of fear of lawsuits and legal ramifications at the kid's expense. But I bet not one teacher loses a dime.

I have been a teacher for a couple of decades plus. When the economy contracts, everyone b1tches because we don't get immediately laid off. When the economy is booming--like say, last month--no one notices that we don't get the big bonuses, the raises, the benefits of it. At all.

So really, consider me wholly unconcerned for your "concern", you might say.

There are a lot of details to work out on the fly to make everything accessible for all the students in a remote learning format.

Forum List

Back