Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) developing HBO show about liberal hero, Jim Jones

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Vince Gilligan Talks About His 'X-Files' Past and New Show About Jim Jones

...Can you tell me anything about the new Jim Jones project you're developing at HBO? I'm obsessed with anything related to Jone's Cult.
I can tell you I was just in San Francisco with Michelle McLaren, who is directing, to meet with Tim Reiterman who wrote Raven, the book we're adapting the show to. Tim is a fascinating guy. He was there with congressman Leo Ryan in Guyana and was the last person to interview Jim Jones. He told us about being on the airstrip and being shot at when all these wonderful people including congressman Ryan were murdered. In his book, he describes in great detail his wristwatch being shot off and it finally being returned to him. When I asked him what happened to that watch, he pulled up his cuff and showed it to me like a battle wound.

You don't have a whole room of writers on this Jim Jones project, though. Is it just you writing it?
That's the plan. The last thing I wrote on my own was the Breaking Bad pilot, and everything since has been with fellow writers. I've got to do six episodes on my own. I hope I remember how to write.

Before I go, I want to point out that Bob Odenkirk would make a really perfect Jim Jones…
You're right, that's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to write that down. Bob can do and play absolutely anything.

Jim Jones was a great progressive and hero of the left:

Jim Jones - Wikipedia

James Warren Jones (May 13, 1931 – November 18, 1978) was an American cult leader, mass murderer and communist.[1][2] Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple, which was often described as having cult-like qualities.

In 1978, media reports surfaced that human rights abuses were taking place in Peoples Temple's Jonestown, Guyana headquarters. United States Congressman Leo Ryan led a delegation into the commune to investigate what was going on; Ryan and others were murdered by gunfire while boarding a return flight with defectors. Jones subsequently committed a mass murder-suicide of 918 of his followers in Jonestown, Guyana. Nearly three hundred children were murdered, almost all of them by cyanide poisoning via a Flavor Aid mix. This historical episode gave rise to the ubiquitous American-English expression "drinking the Kool-Aid".

Jones started the People's Temple in Indiana the 1950s. He later moved the Temple to California in the mid-1960s, and gained notoriety with its activities in San Francisco in the early 1970s...

It'll be interesting to watch an HBO show about this liberal icon and hero.

Forum List

Back