Vietnam War - how did US benefit from it?

Jun 29, 2004
I am trying to find answers to how USA benefited from Vietnam war.
I am doing a paper for school so this is a historical question rather than a personal opinion. Any factual & historical input would be appreciated!

Thank you

I am doing a paper for school so this is a historical question rather than a personal opinion. Any factual & historical input would be appreciated!

Thank you

The purpose of the "defense" of Vietnam had little to do with any direct benefited to the US. It was the height of the Cold War, neither the Soviets or the US could afford to actually fight each other directly because of the fear of Nuclear war.

The policy of the US was containment, preventing the spread of communism. In that context, Vietnam was a war to prevent the spread of communism. The "benefit" was that we did not want another country and possibly an entire region to go communist.

Many benefits were secondary. The military used VN as a testing ground for new weapons and learned an amazing amount about field medicine.

During the VN conflict many new advances were made in field medicine, as well as inventions used in field medicine that you may not know about. SEALs used superglue to seal wounds both in air and water environments, for instance.

The purpose of the "defense" of Vietnam had little to do with any direct benefited to the US. It was the height of the Cold War, neither the Soviets or the US could afford to actually fight each other directly because of the fear of Nuclear war.

The policy of the US was containment, preventing the spread of communism. In that context, Vietnam was a war to prevent the spread of communism. The "benefit" was that we did not want another country and possibly an entire region to go communist.

The "benefit" was that we did not want another country and possibly an entire region to go communist.

Just as the world, especially the Afghans and Iraqis, is currently benefiting by our Holy Crusade to stop “another country and possibly an entire region” going Muslim.

To paraphrase our Dear war criminal Leader, “Far better to fight “them” (insert any of the hundreds of “evil” “anti-American” enemies du jour since 1607 here) over there than in America.”

Nice to see they are still trying to make a silk purse out of the appalling sow’s ear that was the Vietnam War! :rolleyes:

Could I say that Vietnam war was worth militarily, ideologically or otherwise to USA now that we can analyze it historically? Or was the war unnecessary, costly blunder?

There were no foriegn policy gains, there were no military gains,there were no social gains.

The only gain was to a small group of industrialist who benifited from the military industrial complex.

It was a loss in all respects for America.

I thought for a while maybe we had learned a lesson about letting our country be taken to war based on lies but I guess I was wrong about that one.

Could I say that Vietnam war was worth militarily, ideologically or otherwise to USA now that we can analyze it historically? Or was the war unnecessary, costly blunder?

Depends. In the end we allowed South Vietnam to fall. However had we allowed that to happen in the 50's it is entirely possible that the entire region would have been in peril. the 20 years we either supported them or fought there allowed several things to happen. Thailand become more stable, China become unstable and ceased being in lockstep with the Soviets. For 20 years we showed we were willing to fight and die for a concept other than just the direct defense of the US.

I would say it was a toss up. My personal opinion is that Truman missed an opportunity in 1948 to support Ho Chi Mein and prevent the entire mess. BUT times were different then and he was under pressures that effected his ability to see that potential.

I would say failing to support Ho, we did the right thing by fighting in Vietnam Idealogically. Militarily we learned lessons , but we have still failed to heed them completely. In the end it was a political loss.

I do not believe it was a blunder to fight, but how we fought it and failed to define it to the people WAS a blunder. Further Nixon pulled it out, we had it beat,but his paranoia directly lead to a total loss with his political suicide.

It was WORSE than an unnecessary, costly blunder. For starters the US lost a former and potential future ally in Ho Chi Minh, and earned the enmity of a few formally neutral nations, with its usual criminal military meddling in others affairs.

Millions died as a result of the US trying to deny the North and South of Vietnam the opportunity to unite as one nation. Fundie-mentally because Americans had been brainwashed by their churches and successive administrations of BOTH kinds that Communists were evil atheists who hated us "because they envy us and want to destroy our freedom."

And that these savage sub-human Yellow Hordes were coming to rape Randolph Scott and Stardust, Rin Tin Tin, and Doris Day and to enslave and put unbelievably brave American men to work in the giant rice paddy the were going to make out of America.

Ahh yes, we were so misguided, Stalin was just a big misunderstood pacifist that wanted friendship and peace. Mao was a nice guy too right? Kruschev followed in Stalin's mold, a peace loving friend to all peoples? Breshnez too of course.

Depends. In the end we allowed South Vietnam to fall. However had we allowed that to happen in the 50's it is entirely possible that the entire region would have been in peril. the 20 years we either supported them or fought there allowed several things to happen. Thailand become more stable, China become unstable and ceased being in lockstep with the Soviets. For 20 years we showed we were willing to fight and die for a concept other than just the direct defense of the US.

I would say it was a toss up. My personal opinion is that Truman missed an opportunity in 1948 to support Ho Chi Mein and prevent the entire mess. BUT times were different then and he was under pressures that effected his ability to see that potential.

I would say failing to support Ho, we did the right thing by fighting in Vietnam Idealogically. Militarily we learned lessons , but we have still failed to heed them completely. In the end it was a political loss.

I do not believe it was a blunder to fight, but how we fought it and failed to define it to the people WAS a blunder. Further Nixon pulled it out, we had it beat,but his paranoia directly lead to a total loss with his political suicide.

I would say failing to support Ho, we did the right thing by fighting in Vietnam Idealogically.

The Free World (i.e. the non-American world) defines fighting ideological wars in others peoples backyards as a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY (No, Mistress Kathie…..N-O-O-o-o-o!!…Not the dreaded Red Demerit Square!!....Anything but THAT!! :shock: )

The leaders and their supporters – including civilians – of such countries should be HANGED and/or imprisoned when and if they are bought before a Free World Court.

This was a crucial part of the prosecuting power's case against the Nazis, THAT AMERICA INSISTED ON, and duly had made into INTERNATIONAL LAW, during the Nuremberg War Crimes Trails after WW2.

A part that Americans have consistently and conveniently refused to recognise ever since.

Ahh yes, we were so misguided, Stalin was just a big misunderstood pacifist that wanted friendship and peace. Mao was a nice guy too right? Kruschev followed in Stalin's mold, a peace loving friend to all peoples? Breshnez too of course.

ALL of them were no worse than you, a pathetic camp follower who supports, aids, and abets your evil regime's war crimes against humanity! :badgrin:

No. There was no benefit or national honor that was defended there, ultimately or even superficially.

Thank you

I fought there, I saw my brethren die there. all of them died and suffered in vain.

It was not the congress of the United States that lost that WAR. It was the premise that we fought it at fault.

Dig it?

You will discover that there are 3 or 4 people on this board you simply can not have a rational discussion with. They are not interested in anything you have to say unless it is to agree with them.

The Vietnam War, in hindsight, was a pointless endeavor on the US's part. We attempted to democratize and industrialize an government and people who were agrarian, and modeled their society after French colonial society in which class status defined who and what one was. The governnment was corrupt, did not support the will of the people, nor have their support.

In geopolitical terms, it allowed the major opposing superpowers of the Cold War to battle each other via proxy using an undeveloped nation's civil war as the cover.

maybe but why you have to pick on him?. any service member should be respected, you can hate a war but dont take that out on him.

What am I missing? I don't see that PB "picked" on anyone; rather, expressed his opinion of the VN War.

You may not agree with his opinion and that is your right, but trust me, I know a PB personal attack if anyone does and this doesn't fit the bill.

Forum List

Back