Vietnam Movies

From what l saw of it Vietnam was an unrealistic war for the most part.
The Wall with 58,000+ names on it would disagree. ... :cool:
Oh I didn't say people didn't die, a lot did, several of my friends included. They even tried to kill my ass. But one has to wonder about how real a war can be where you never lose a single battle but you lose the war.

LBJ, Nixon and Kissinger lost the war. The troops won their war.

How long did you have to live to get that dayum stupid?

How long did you have to live to get that dayum stupid?
Son, you need to calm your ignorant ass down.
Hossfly deserves the upmost respect from everyone on this board.
And I am honored to know him and call him a friend.
:salute:
Then tell him not to say stupid shit about Nixon. I'll help him bash LBJ the insufferable asshole that he was but Dick Nixion did what he could and the best anyone could have done with the bag of shit that he was handed and he got our asses to hell out of that shithole just like he said he would.

Platoon was a genre changer, and set the stage for many war movies after it.
Apocalypse now was a good movie. But I do not consider it a "Vietnam movie". It was a fantasy movie set during the Vietnam war, but obviously had nothing to do with reality.
Full Metal Jacket - like someone else here said, was almost two different films. The training first half was awesome, but not really anything to do with Vietnam. The second half was a pretty unrealistic meandering with a few war scenes thrown in.
Born on the 4th of July was more about the after effect of a seriously injured war vet. Suffering PSD, trying to fit back into civilian life as well as the conditions of the VA Hospitals.

In my book... probably Platoon. But even it was more about the fight between two sergeants than the war.

FMJ was good. Siege at Firebase Gloria (with Gunny Ermey) for an action thriller. We lost about 300,000 in the four years of WW2and about 50,000 in LBJ's war but WW2 movies generally focused on patriotism and were uplifting while VN movies ushered in the anti-hero and pretty much left you with a feeling of regret, not unlike the war itself.

Forum List

Back