Vietnam and other combat veterans of all branches-your opinion of this documentary.

The Vietnam War should be remembered as another war of American intervention planned and implemented by the power elite, for the benefit of the power elite. It is very much like most wars America has fought. When will we ever learn?

However, it should also be remembered for the bravery and sacrifice made by the American fighting man many of whom, never wanted to be there and the many who fall there.

The arrogance and stupidity of our leaders in those days was obvious to anyone in uniform.

They were thinking WWII when we were fighting another war entirely.

Bloody idiots.

They should have all been put up against a wall and executed for their arrogance and their imcompetence too.

Not that I have any strong feelings about them or anything.

Sorry, I screwed up the thread title. Regardless of the "cause", this documentary was riveting, because you can almost capture the fear; though I'm sure that it doesn't come close.

It gives good explanations for the failures. The top brass and bureaucracy, stacked the deck against those who were actually fighting. It was not the troops' failure.

Exactly like our current adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan. We "won" in order to lose thanks to leadership that got us into things and places we didn't belong.

However, when one looks back, could things have been worse?

Somalia is an example. We stuck our toe in, got whipped, ran, and left a place with no government or order that is creating hell throughout eastern Africa and the oceans nearby.
The same thing is happening all over the continent and I have a gut feeling our leaders are going to get us involved in that swamp too.

Exactly like our current adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan. We "won" in order to lose thanks to leadership that got us into things and places we didn't belong.

Somalia is an example. We stuck our toe in, got whipped, ran, and left a place with no government or order that is creating hell throughout eastern Africa and the oceans nearby.
The same thing is happening all over the continent and I have a gut feeling our leaders are going to get us involved in that swamp too.

Because you're a retired Soldier, you have a difficult time letting go. I was in healthcare for 16 years. During my last hospitalization, I tried to get up and help with a cardiac arrest, which was announced over the entire hospital 4 times. It was next door, and I wanted/tried to get up and help.

You probably have the same feeling. You feel like you, or your fellow Soldiers should be doing something....anything. Is that accurate?

Because you're a retired Soldier, you have a difficult time letting go. I was in healthcare for 16 years. During my last hospitalization, I tried to get up and help with a cardiac arrest, which was announced over the entire hospital 4 times. It was next door, and I wanted/tried to get up and help.

You probably have the same feeling. You feel like you, or your fellow Soldiers should be doing something....anything. Is that accurate?

You ask a tough question.

If you had asked me that ten or fifteen years ago, I might have had a different answer.
But now, after 70+ years of being on this earth, I guess I'm getting another viewpoint.

Our Founders created our military services for the most obvious of reasons - to protect this nation and its people.

While a great president, Monroe opened the gates with the Monroe Doctrine and we've found ourselves in adventurism ever since.

I could see sending in marines against the Barbary Pirates as they were attacking and sacking ships carrying the American Flag.

I still wonder just what our goals were in entering WWI. We had no choice but to fight back after Pearl Harbor. But, why did we also involve ourselves in Europe?

Korea? And an endless number of others?

Unless American citizens and interests are DIRECTLY involved, I'm beginning to wonder if it's really our business to get involved.

Did we really have to send troops into Afghanistan? We knew who was responsible and had a general idea where he was. Why not just use the might of our air and naval forces and turn that area into a slag pile? Why the thousands who have died since then?

Anti-war? Peacnik? I don't think so.

Forum List

Back