Video captures moment a Connecticut man was injured while in a police van. He may never walk again, lawyer says

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Watched this video on Don Lemons show right now, this is horrific. The showed it twice and it makes my stomach turn. A man going hard into a steel door, head first, with his hands cuffed behind his back.

Why in the F is this the way we transport human beings in the year 2022? This man may not be able to walk again, he is apparently currently paralyzed.

Prisoners need to have seats and a seatbelt ffs, not a slippery seat to sit in. Due Process and Rule of Law shouldn't end in a person being paralyzed upon transport. He is in their custody, they are responsible for his safety and a judge or jury will decide his fate.

Just a horrible video to watch.

CNN)A man in police custody slid headfirst into an interior wall of a transport van in the Connecticut city of New Haven on Father's Day, video released by the city shows -- an incident his family said Tuesday left him partially paralyzed.

Richard "Randy" Cox Jr., 36, suffered a serious injury to his neck and spine while he was in the custody of New Haven police, and the incident is being investigated by the Connecticut State Police, Mayor Justin Elicker has said.

Five New Haven police officers, including the van's driver, have been placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, Elicker said in a letter shared with New Haven residents on his Twitter account last week.

"What happened to Mr. Cox was just terrible and completely unacceptable ... and it will not be tolerated in the New Haven Police Department," the mayor said in a news conference on Tuesday.

just watched the vid on what happened ... even after his injury that paralyzed him they took him to jail and literally dragged LITERALLY ! dragged the poor man out of a wheel chair and thew him into a cell ! there is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for what happened !

Agreed. This is another example of a lack of common sense in policing. I see Canada isn't alone, though this accident wasn't as intentional as Canadian police operate, absent ANY accountability.

Pretty shitty situation.

Lot’s of money headed to him and his family.

They will run out of that money REALLY fast though.
It is EXPEN$IVE to take care of an invalid.

If they don't have a lawyer that KNOWS his shit, they won't get enough to take care of him for the rest of his life.

I think I'd have rather had my neck snapped in something like that and die. I wouldn't want to live like a vegetable.

Government say police are trained. The police stop being trained in the early 90's. Cities claimed they needed to save money, so they cut out all the PROPER and PROFESSIONAL training of police. No more psych evaluations, no more learning social psychology, no more mediation training, no more customer service training, no more medical training, no more de-escalation training, etc, etc, etc. They learn how to shoot a gun........AND THAT IS ALL THE "TRAINING" THEY GET!!!!

All this surgery, just so city and state politicians can shovel more of our tax dollars into THEIR private bank accounts.

These are the kind of people that should not be LEO's. They are thugs.

Forum List

Back