Vets more likely to commit Suicide

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Its a little known dirty secret. The suicide rate among vets is four times as likely as the average person. Is it stress? Is it guilt over the pain and suffering they see?

Vets have it tougher than most realize. Long hours, time away from home...

You'd never know it by looking at us, but veterinarians are four times as likely to commit suicide than the average person; twice as likely as our human healthcare counterparts. This gloomy stat was brought to you by a series of United Kingdom studies conducted over the past few years, which culminated in a paper published just last week on the subject of why.
I'd read about the original studies a couple of years back and, like most of my colleagues, I was somewhat in denial over capturing the dental profession's flag on this one. I mean, we can all joke about why a dentist's job might seem pointless (until we need one, that is), but a veterinarian's? Such an outlet for a deep and abiding love of animals would seem more like a dream come true than a wade in the river with rocks in your pockets. But then I started tallying them up ... and I counted three.

Veterinarians more likely to commit suicide - USATODAY.com

Last edited:
Its a little known dirty secret. The suicide rate among vets is four times as likely as the average person. Is it stress? Is it guilt over the pain and suffering they see?

You'd never know it by looking at us, but veterinarians are four times as likely to commit suicide than the average person; twice as likely as our human healthcare counterparts. This gloomy stat was brought to you by a series of United Kingdom studies conducted over the past few years, which culminated in a paper published just last week on the subject of why.
I'd read about the original studies a couple of years back and, like most of my colleagues, I was somewhat in denial over capturing the dental profession's flag on this one. I mean, we can all joke about why a dentist's job might seem pointless (until we need one, that is), but a veterinarian's? Such an outlet for a deep and abiding love of animals would seem more like a dream come true than a wade in the river with rocks in your pockets. But then I started tallying them up ... and I counted three.

Veterinarians more likely to commit suicide - USATODAY.com

I recall hearing the Commandant of the Marine Corps say on C-SPAN that military on active duty had much lower suicide rates than the same demographic in the general public, but veterinarians? That seems counterintuitive, except for the amount of unnecessary pain they must be faced with as a result of human cruelty to animals. But there would be no surprise if dentists had a high incidence of suicide. Doing that and realizing that you might have decades ahead of you because of having made that decision might be very depressing.

Forum List

Back