Veteran on long-term disability waiting for family doctor since 2011

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
An indictment of our healthcare system, treatment of soldiers and the disabled all in one post.

A Canadian navy veteran says he's fed up with waiting for a primary care provider after having been on Prince Edward Island's wait-list for 11 years.

Matt Dobson moved to P.E.I. in 2011 after being medically released from the navy when he was diagnosed with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. He had been a member of the armed forces for more than a decade.

Dobson first signed up for the province's patient registry back then. But after not hearing anything for eight years, he decided to call the province in 2019 to check when he would finally have access to a primary caregiver.

"They told me that my name was no longer on the list. That they'd removed everyone off of the list that were above four years. So I had to put my name back on the list and start new again," Dobson said.

"I was pretty upset for sure. There was no call. No notification at all ... They told me that I would have got an email or a letter at the time. I went back and looked at all the records. I couldn't find anything."

After that call, he said he contacted about two dozen doctors to see if they were taking patients at the time. But he had no luck.

A couple of questions here....................

First, is this guy a U.S. Navy veteran, or is he a Canadian Navy veteran? Because if he's Canadian, he doesn't fall under the same standards of care that US veterans do because it's a different country.

Second, if he is a US Navy veteran, why hasn't he gotten his card from the US VA that tells him if care isn't available to him within 30 days, or if he's not within 50 miles of a VA care facility, he can go to civilian care? I know that after the cluster fuck that happened to veterans in AZ where they were waiting for years to get care, the VA (under Obama who fixed it) issued cards for a program called Veterans Choice. Matter of fact, there were several times when my annual physical was due that I called for an appointment and was told that it would be over 30 days before I could be seen. The VA then told me that since it would be more than 30 days for my appointment, that I was free to go see a civilian doctor to get my physical if I so chose. Same thing if I would have needed further care than just my physical. I told them that since I was in fairly good health, I would simply wait until an appointment was available as I wanted to keep all my records in one place, and never had to wait more than around 40 to 45 days for my physical. If this guy has been waiting for years like the article states, why hasn't he been offered Veterans Choice like the rest of the US veterans? Is he Canadian or US? And, based on the fact that he resides outside of the US, why?

I feel for the guy, and I hope he gets the care he needs soon, but like I said, what country did he serve in the military, the US or Canada, and what health care system does he fall under? If he's a US veteran, this needs to be looked into immediately, if he's a Canadian veteran, there's not much point in me bitching about it as he's part of another country. Yes, I'm concerned about all veterans who served the US (mainly because I'm retired US Navy), but vets from other countries I can't really help or bitch about as I'm not a citizen of that country.

This article sounds like a non issue for the US.

A couple of questions here....................

First, is this guy a U.S. Navy veteran, or is he a Canadian Navy veteran? Because if he's Canadian, he doesn't fall under the same standards of care that US veterans do because it's a different country.

Second, if he is a US Navy veteran, why hasn't he gotten his card from the US VA that tells him if care isn't available to him within 30 days, or if he's not within 50 miles of a VA care facility, he can go to civilian care? I know that after the cluster fuck that happened to veterans in AZ where they were waiting for years to get care, the VA (under Obama who fixed it) issued cards for a program called Veterans Choice. Matter of fact, there were several times when my annual physical was due that I called for an appointment and was told that it would be over 30 days before I could be seen. The VA then told me that since it would be more than 30 days for my appointment, that I was free to go see a civilian doctor to get my physical if I so chose. Same thing if I would have needed further care than just my physical. I told them that since I was in fairly good health, I would simply wait until an appointment was available as I wanted to keep all my records in one place, and never had to wait more than around 40 to 45 days for my physical. If this guy has been waiting for years like the article states, why hasn't he been offered Veterans Choice like the rest of the US veterans? Is he Canadian or US? And, based on the fact that he resides outside of the US, why?

I feel for the guy, and I hope he gets the care he needs soon, but like I said, what country did he serve in the military, the US or Canada, and what health care system does he fall under? If he's a US veteran, this needs to be looked into immediately, if he's a Canadian veteran, there's not much point in me bitching about it as he's part of another country. Yes, I'm concerned about all veterans who served the US (mainly because I'm retired US Navy), but vets from other countries I can't really help or bitch about as I'm not a citizen of that country.

This article sounds like a non issue for the US.

It's in the Canada Section. Thus, it is to be assumed he is Canadian.

Then let the Canadians bitch about this and get care for their veterans. Sorry, but here in the US, we have no say about how Canada treats their vets, even though they are our allies.

You have more influence and say then you know. Be it our military or the serial human right abuses against our kids and citizens.

It just takes the courage and priciple to speak up. Your ow reputation takes a hit when you are associated with a creepy Canada.

You have more influence and say then you know. Be it our military or the serial human right abuses against our kids and citizens.

It just takes the courage and priciple to speak up. Your ow reputation takes a hit when you are associated with a creepy Canada.

Sorry, but a US citizen doesn't have much clout when it comes to affairs in another country. Sure, we can hold rallies and such, hoping to galvanize the citizens of another country, but ultimately, it falls to the citizens of that country to enact change. I can't vote in Canada as I'm a US citizen, meaning I have no clout when it comes to Canadian politicians.

Sorry, but a US citizen doesn't have much clout when it comes to affairs in another country. Sure, we can hold rallies and such, hoping to galvanize the citizens of another country, but ultimately, it falls to the citizens of that country to enact change. I can't vote in Canada as I'm a US citizen, meaning I have no clout when it comes to Canadian politicians.

Your leaders pick up the phone and make a call or even made a public statement, push a Bill and Canada is forced to shape up.

The Trucker Convoy was entrenched at the border until a Democrat Elissa Slotkin from Michigan and others spoke out on it, soon the border was clear, the Emergencies Act was invoked and the protest taken down.

I posted just a couple of days ago that Ohio, co-sponsored by GOP Tim Ginter was pushing a Bill referring to Canada as violating religious freedoms due to our covid policies that did not even allow the unvaccinated to ride a trai/plane nationally, nor leave the country, by plane or train.

Just yesterday our government finally removed these restrictions.

Canada does not innovate, we are a centrally controlled police state. Our economy is a mirage of capitalism. Without America consuming and supporting us we would be Venezuela.

As such, your politicians need to force us to civil liberties and capitalism. I've been saying it for years and only once in a blue moon do some of your politicians understand this.

Your leaders pick up the phone and make a call or even made a public statement, push a Bill and Canada is forced to shape up.

The Trucker Convoy was entrenched at the border until a Democrat Elissa Slotkin from Michigan and others spoke out on it, soon the border was clear, the Emergencies Act was invoked and the protest taken down.

I posted just a couple of days ago that Ohio, co-sponsored by GOP Tim Ginter was pushing a Bill referring to Canada as violating religious freedoms due to our covid policies that did not even allow the unvaccinated to ride a trai/plane nationally, nor leave the country, by plane or train.

Just yesterday our government finally removed these restrictions.

Canada does not innovate, we are a centrally controlled police state. Our economy is a mirage of capitalism. Without America consuming and supporting us we would be Venezuela.

As such, your politicians need to force us to civil liberties and capitalism. I've been saying it for years and only once in a blue moon do some of your politicians understand this.

If our politicians are supposed to make your politicians behave like you say they should, well, sorry, but that would make you a colony of the US. Besides, we can't get our own politicians to behave, what makes you think we can get yours to?

An indictment of our healthcare system, treatment of soldiers and the disabled all in one post.

A Canadian navy veteran says he's fed up with waiting for a primary care provider after having been on Prince Edward Island's wait-list for 11 years.

Matt Dobson moved to P.E.I. in 2011 after being medically released from the navy when he was diagnosed with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. He had been a member of the armed forces for more than a decade.

Dobson first signed up for the province's patient registry back then. But after not hearing anything for eight years, he decided to call the province in 2019 to check when he would finally have access to a primary caregiver.

"They told me that my name was no longer on the list. That they'd removed everyone off of the list that were above four years. So I had to put my name back on the list and start new again," Dobson said.

"I was pretty upset for sure. There was no call. No notification at all ... They told me that I would have got an email or a letter at the time. I went back and looked at all the records. I couldn't find anything."

After that call, he said he contacted about two dozen doctors to see if they were taking patients at the time. But he had no luck.

Gee, he put his name on a waiting list and just waited - for 8 fucking years, and did nothing on his own to try to get a PCP? What kind of fool does that???

He's living in a medical desert in the first place. There's only 150,000 people in the whole province and if you want anything, you have to go to the mainland.

One of your dumber posts.

Forum List

Back